Hurricane Sally

billybob

I see you live in Florida’s big bend.  I’m in Gulf Shores. Sally turned our way this morning.  

Reminds my of when my parents lived in coastal Mississippi back when Ivan hit (2004?) It was headed to Biloxi and at the last minute turned dead East and hammered Gulf Shores and Pensacola.  They have the eye of Sally hitting Gulfport/Biloxi now as they had it forecast during Ivan.  I hope Sally doesn’t do the same thing Ivan did. At least Sally is a cat1, Ivan was a cat 3 if I remember correctly.   They’re forecasting a lot of rain for us since it’s slow moving.  

• Like 1

Living a little south of the bend now on the coast. Recall Ivan well as did several service calls at the time along coast near that area. It was pretty bad for sure. Seems they always bear watching.

Some places still reeling from Laura, of course. Nice area there,

hope all in path well. Thanks

• Like 1

• Moderators

And with the slow speed they are thinking maby a 3 before it get's on land. They said the lack of steering winds is what slowed it down, and they are thinking the high pressure keeping it from going North will break up sometime tomorrow  moving it closer to  the Ala/Miss line or even Mobile Bay. ?

In other words like most storms they are not positive of much.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• Moderators
55 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

Time for a road trip?

We take a road trip if it is bigger than a 1 or 2, depending on the size, some are much bigger than others. We had planned to stay for this one, unless it got close to a 3 and depending on other things.

We left for Katrina to North Louisiana and came back the next day, after seeing what happened and talking to those who did stay we were glad we left. We were very surprised to find we had no damage with winds that got to 140 and all the damage around, barns, roofs almost no power poles left between here and the interstate which is 10 miles.

I would love to see it but not enough to stay, think of what Ron White says. 

• Like 3

20 hours ago, RTR said:

I see you live in Florida’s big bend.  I’m in Gulf Shores. Sally turned our way this morning.  

Reminds my of when my parents lived in coastal Mississippi back when Ivan hit (2004?) It was headed to Biloxi and at the last minute turned dead East and hammered Gulf Shores and Pensacola.  They have the eye of Sally hitting Gulfport/Biloxi now as they had it forecast during Ivan.  I hope Sally doesn’t do the same thing Ivan did. At least Sally is a cat1, Ivan was a cat 3 if I remember correctly.   They’re forecasting a lot of rain for us since it’s slow moving.  

How are you making out with Sally? Thanks

• Like 3

• Moderators
21 hours ago, RTR said:

Almost a repeat so far, like you said at least it's not a 3. Wind have slowed down to 85, that's a very good thing and it's a small storm so far.

Be careful

• Like 3

So she got real close overnight, pulled us in some mid fifties for this morning... nice.

They have the flood watches all over the multiple sites I have in the weather folder for Thurs-Fri here.

Hope all of you just have some pick-up and raking outside to do tomorrow!

• Like 1