Power problems?!

MagnumMan

I know that most electronics anymore have protective circuits to prevent damage to speakers from overloads. But has anyone here pushed there system hard enough to actually trip a curcuit breaker?

After seeing Trans-Siberian Orchestra in concert Saturday, I wanted to see if I could get my 30's that loud. I don't have an SPL meter, so I don't know what kind of measurements I am getting.

Most generally,when watching movies,I turn the volume up to -25. Which is plenty enough for living in a trailor! I put in TSO: Beethoven's Last Night,and slowly worked the volume up to -10. I was waiting for my ears to start bleeding! LOL. I then moved it up even more. When it hit -5, the circuit breaker tripped. The power in whole room went out! Went to breaker box and reset it.

This happened with only running 2 speakers. I had it in stereo mode.

I was just wondering what stories others have had with things like this?

mm, never have tripped breakers on the house. though before i brought in the heavy equipment i had an electrician replace the 15A breaker w/ 20A for the HT room circuit. seemed real easy he just popped old one out & put in new.

now fuses & breakers in previous speakers & amps - blown my share of those. i remember the old BIC speaks we had set-up in the HS cafeteria. they had breakers & i had to get up from the DJ table a few times.16.gif