My listening space

codewritinfool

3 hours ago, _rod_serling_ said:

I really like the wood. I wonder if i could ask a question.  In my room I painted the ceiling black with the intention of doing what you did with the 1x4's around and perhaps a pattern across like that.  How did you attach them to the ceiling and what is the ceiling there made of? 

That entire building is sheathed with 1/2 plywood inside and out because I could get 3' x 4' pieces of it for free.  No drywall present.  The painted panels are thin luan underlayment, held in place around the perimeter by brads.  Additionally, brads are used underneath where the foam pieces are glued down.  The total plywood everywhere means every spot is a nailing surface.  The exception is the small area behind the TV mount where you can probably read "no nail".  The reason is that I added this outlet late in the game and just notched the 2x4 to run the romex.

So, I put up the trim pieces first, then cut the luan panels to fit, then nailed them in place.  I hope that answers your question.

9 hours ago, nickyboy6100 said:

Nice!!

Well, I've said this before....  The room is too small for them.   I have a little two-seater bench seat on the opposite wall, but the sweet spot is tiny if you sit down.  Standing up the sound is pretty great too, maybe better.

But....  When you've wanted Klipschorns your entire adult life and finally find some, you make space for them.  The only space I had was my workshop.  So, for now anyway, this is their home.  

Nice! I too am fortunate to have a detached “music room”. A space where the low WAF of “big, ugly speakers” is, well, less of a factor. Although to be fair, her opinion of the La Scalas has softened a bit over the last couple of years.
Your room looks great, it has almost, a Frank Lloyd Wright Vibe. Very well done. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...