My listening space

codewritinfool

I've been busy during COVID working on my small listening space.  It is in a building out behind my house with 240V power, heat & a/c, internet and phone.  I will probably post more photos if there is interest, but thought y'all might like a couple of teasers.  There is supposed to be a large TV on the bracket (you probably guessed that) but I don't have one yet.

62165882125-0-EC65715-6-E22-4-D2-F-98-F8

62189115409-988-C0517-ED94-4-A9-B-8491-6

Ceiling detail:

62165885575-22-E07-A5-E-3-E53-4-D3-E-838

The foreground center ceiling panel is attic access.

• Like 10

You have created a great space to decompress. Enjoy it, you should be proud of it. There is something about sitting in a space you created that adds a dimension to the experience. Hard to explain. Sort of like the "cut your own wood and it warms you twice" kinda thing.

I know there is a story behind the items on top of the khorn. Care to share?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MookieStl said:

You have created a great space to decompress. Enjoy it, you should be proud of it. There is something about sitting in a space you created that adds a dimension to the experience. Hard to explain. Sort of like the "cut your own wood and it warms you twice" kinda thing.

I know there is a story behind the items on top of the khorn. Care to share?

Well, two of them have stories for sure, thanks for asking.

The radio was built by my grandfather, so my grandmother told me.  I never knew him, and she's been gone 41 years.  She knew how much I loved stuff like that, and even though I was a just a boy she knew I'd hang on to it.  The headphones came with it.   It has a single 4-pin tube in it.  The terminals on the left are ANT and GND, and the terminals on the top right are for headphones,  and the remaining four on the right are for A and B battery connections.  The leftmost knob is a giant variable capacitor, the middle one is a rheostat, and the rightmost knob is a giant coil-within-a-coil mechanism.  The tube has what appears to be a tubular diode or something attached, perhaps as a detector?  I dunno.  I've never powered it up, though I have the supplies to do so.

The whiskey bottle was the "medicinal whiskey" from my parents kitchen cabinet in the house where I grew up.  When mom died in 2018, we were cleaning out the house and I found the bottle.  It was empty, lol.  I kept it.

In this photo there isn't, but now there is a protective pad (doily?) on top of the KHorn that this stuff is resting on.  The coffee cup speaks for itself.  Stolen from PWK.

I'm not much of a decorator, but these things remind me of family and of home.

IMG-2536.png

The floor is concrete with a rug on it, but I'm seriously considering a laminate wood floor with the rug on THAT, just to give it a more comfy feel.  Still working on the other two walls - more lights to hang and foam to put up.

• Like 6

This is a bad photo, but the stained-glass window is fake.  I built it, even incorporating a piece of plexi-glas I found in mom&dad's basement.  It has an LED panel behind it that is dimmable.

I haven't built the circuit yet, but the idea is to have a light sensor on the outside of the workshop near the attic vent that detects the level of light, then the circuit translates that into a dimming voltage for the panel.  That way the stained glass window shows the proper light level that is really outside.

62104660701-0365-C171-645-C-4-F0-B-91-CD

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

How large (or small) is the building? I had a 12 x 24 foot barn behind my last house, that if not filled with 'stuff', would have made a nice music room.

I like the colors. Would you share a wider view of the room?

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Marvel said:

How large (or small) is the building? I had a 12 x 24 foot barn behind my last house, that if not filled with 'stuff', would have made a nice music room.

I like the colors. Would you share a wider view of the room?

11 x 9.  Too small, I know, but it is the only space I have.

I will be happy to share a wider view once I get the floor and the other two walls done.  Right now it is two walls and the ceiling.

This is about as wide as I can get at the moment, and I had to turn the lights off to stop the glare.

BTW the TV bracket is offset a bit in order to hit studs.  The TV will, of course, be centered.

The framed things are Klipschorn ads I found in old magazines.

The ceiling trim geometry was solely dictated by the attic access panel.  I wish it could have been better, but hey, this isn't TOO bad...

IMG-5942.png

1 hour ago, codewritinfool said:

I will be happy to share a wider view once I get the floor and the other two walls done.  Right now it is two walls and the ceiling.

Thanks, can't wait... (he says as he has tons of his own projects not finished...).

I would have loved to have made my barn/storage building a studio, so I could hide out to do recording.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, babadono said:

Very cool, my compliments(as if that means anything:)) So the pieces at the intersection of the wall and ceiling are wood? or acoustical foam? or what?

And the wedge tiles spread out like that, do/did you perceive a sound difference?

The same trim as used on the walls (1x4) is used at the tops of the walls.  The corner foam is acoustical foam.

The room basically sounds more dead to me now, and I know it sounds better to my ears (as good as that can be....)  I can hit metal together or snap my fingers and can perceive no echo.  I need to measure it; I know that isn't very scientific.

I didn't set out to stagger the foam like that, but wanted to use the foam I had and still see the wall and trim color, so that spacing is how it came out.

It could be better, as is often the case with home projects, and maybe my home projects in particular.

This image may help you - it looks really bad blown up like this!  I intend to put quarter round at the edges of the 1x4s to hide the panel gaps and the brads.  We'll see if that gets done since it sounds great and I'm 90% there.

IMG_5943.jpg

• Moderators
5 hours ago, codewritinfool said:

This image may help you - it looks really bad blown up like this!  I intend to put quarter round at the edges of the 1x4s to hide the panel gaps and the brads.  We'll see if that gets done since it sounds great and I'm 90% there.

I like that, in the first pictures I thought you added some fancy looking trim but that is better, it's trim and absorbs sounds in the corner. Good idea also with the fake window, look good.

• Like 1