Covid-19 and Freedom of Assembly, etc.

jjptkd

59 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

Thick as a brick.  Sorry I tried to explain the difference between state and local laws and what the constitution is about.  You are on your own.

42 minutes ago, RandyH000 said:

Thank you , it reminds me of Constitutional Law 101 ,  May I suggest ;

https://scholarship.law.nd.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1861&context=ndlr

Reminds me of Jethro Tull — 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, oldtimer said:

Point of information:  Not meant as an argument pro or con, but the constitution sets forth the structure of the federal government, not any basic moral , philosophical, or practical terms of citizenship, or civic duty.

But the structure set forth is reflective of a basic moral, philosophical and practical notion of citizenship and civic duties.  I know.  I saw it on PBS last night.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:

But the structure set forth is reflective of a basic moral, philosophical and practical notion of citizenship and civic duties.  I know.  I saw it on PBS last night.

So answer daveA question from last page.  Im done with conversing with sfb's here.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, mungkiman said:

I don't see any justification for packing people shoulder to shoulder in houses of worship or rallies of any kind.

The problem is they're picking and choosing what's ok and what's not based on agendas and not safety.  Peaceful protests of hundreds are ok while peaceful worship is not.  Government employees have access to gyms and the general public does not.  A liquor store is an essential business?  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, CECAA850 said:

The problem is they're picking and choosing what's ok and what's not based on agendas and not safety.  Peaceful protests of hundreds are ok while peaceful worship is not.  Government employees have access to gyms and the general public does not.  A liquor store is an essential business?  

Exactly!  What a slippery slope!  Once you start picking winners and losers so brazenly, it exposes the thuggery involved.  Yet, here we are... we're gonna vote to prevent it, but wait... It's here!  I see a great policy, but ineffectiveness to implement.  If we vote for the status quo, we just might get it.  One side will shut you down, and the other will put a bullet in you just to be sure.

13 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Or... maybe that IS the agenda?!

Expose the (alleged) rabble to the danger and keep the (indoctrinated) moral cream of the crop out of harms way.

Natural selection gets half the selection to run it’s immediate course on.

2 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

The problem is they're picking and choosing what's ok and what's not based on agendas and not safety.  Peaceful protests of hundreds are ok while peaceful worship is not.

Even peaceful protests of hundreds wearing masks are sometimes met with extreme violence from people on the other side of the same coin, if not also militarized police and federal officers. I have yet to see that type of response against peaceful worshipers not wearing masks this election cycle, at least not in this country. Is the difference based on agenda, or safety?

Just now, mungkiman said:

Even peaceful protests of hundreds wearing masks are sometimes met with extreme violence from people on the other side of the same coin, if not also militarized police and federal officers. I have yet to see that type of response against peaceful worshipers not wearing masks this election cycle, at least not in this country. Is the difference based on agenda, or safety?

Violence isn't emanating out of churches.  I'd hate to be a cop right now.  In fact, I wouldn't risk it.  I'd quit and find another career.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mungkiman said:

1st amendment rights shouldn't be met with violence, but here we are.

Guild by association surely isn't fair, but my parents raised me to know that I need to be careful not to associate with people who could get me in trouble.

I've protested before, too, but if the crowd is there burning stuff and fighting, you can count me out.  I'll just stay home.

54 minutes ago, mungkiman said:

Violence isn't emanating out of peaceful protests either, but peaceful protests are too often met with violence. That was my point.

52 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:

The problem is the violence is right there... juxtaposed to the peaceful people.  If you want to be peaceful, that's no place to be.  

Violent protest is here and now, and elected officials are not only taking note but voicing “concerning” projections around the upcoming election. A county commissioner in my county issued a FB post about the possibility of civil war if the election goes the wrong direction according to those already in “peaceful” protests. He sites the blatant shooting of police, burning city blocks, violent harassment to those with opposing views etc. He advises to prepare for this uprising with stockpiles of ammo and guns. Of course the remaining commissioners are aghast with this statement but he stands by the words. And yes I live in Kansas but not the backwater Kansas that is generally portrayed; this commissioner oversees a top 15 wealthiest county in the country. Which goes to show how these violent protesters have resonated far and wide.