New RP6000f speaker help

Jesset

Hello,

I just bought a pair of new Klipsch RP6000f online.  It is the first pair of passive speakers I have ever owned, so I also bought a new amplifier by Crown.  It Is attached to my turntable which has a phone preamp.  

One of the speakers wasn’t treated well by UPS, the box had a huge gash in it, the styrofoam inside was all destroyed and there is a gash in the wood on the back of the speaker that lined up with the gash in the box itself.  Although annoying it is in the back and will not be in view if the damage is cosmetic only.  

My question is that the amplifier has separate volume knobs for each channel.  I noticed that the volume of the two speakers is different when placed on the same clicks with each knob of the amplifier.  The speaker with the cosmetic damage is quieter than the undamaged one.  I checked the speaker wire and everything seems to be tight in both ends there.  I wanted to get a gauge on if the damage could have possibly been more than cosmetic and is causing the speaker to be quieter, or if it’s more likely I may have gotten a faulty amplifier.  I did lean in to check and both woofers on the damaged case have sound coming out of them. I would have guessed that it either would have been broken or that it works fine, I wouldn’t think that shipping damage could make one quieter but I’m totally new at this so I wanted to get some opinions from people that know much more about this hobby than I do, thank you!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Jesset said:

Hello,

I just bought a pair of new Klipsch RP6000f online.  It is the first pair of passive speakers I have ever owned, so I also bought a new amplifier by Crown.  It Is attached to my turntable which has a phone preamp.  

One of the speakers wasn’t treated well by UPS, the box had a huge gash in it, the styrofoam inside was all destroyed and there is a gash in the wood on the back of the speaker that lined up with the gash in the box itself.  Although annoying it is in the back and will not be in view if the damage is cosmetic only.  

My question is that the amplifier has separate volume knobs for each channel.  I noticed that the volume of the two speakers is different when placed on the same clicks with each knob of the amplifier.  The speaker with the cosmetic damage is quieter than the undamaged one.  I checked the speaker wire and everything seems to be tight in both ends there.  I wanted to get a gauge on if the damage could have possibly been more than cosmetic and is causing the speaker to be quieter, or if it’s more likely I may have gotten a faulty amplifier.  I did lean in to check and both woofers on the damaged case have sound coming out of them. I would have guessed that it either would have been broken or that it works fine, I wouldn’t think that shipping damage could make one quieter but I’m totally new at this so I wanted to get some opinions from people that know much more about this hobby than I do, thank you!

Instantly file a complaint at UPS and the seller. Make pictures of the damage of box and speaker.

It is likely the box topped over during transport and the internal parts were damaged or loosened.

You paid a 'new' price so you deserve a 'new' speaker!

They should replace both speakers, btw...

• Like 1

We hate hearing about shipping companies destroying our beloved speakers. You might try switching the speakers wires from one to the other to see if the quiet speaker stays the same. Did you play different music, maybe it was the recording. But first do like ILI said and file a complaint. Good luck and let us know...we love pics!