System upgrades?

Chiliarches

Howdy all!

I am having trouble finding the preamp I want (a Mcintosh C2500 or C2300, message me if you want to sell one!!), but I still have an upgrade itch to scratch.  What do you suggest?

The problems I’d like to solve eventually  -

1) Hum.  I occasionally have low-level hum (especially when I roll tube amps in) and it drives me crazy.  Is there a gear-related fix for this like a new power conditioner?

2) The sound overall can sometime be a little brash.  I sit pretty close to the speakers (9’ or so) so I am sure that doesn’t help.

3) Low bass is underwhelming (I am

almost certain this is the room and will try to rearrange, also try to sit further back)

4) Imaging is OK, not pinpoint (I had some smaller multidriver speakers a few years ago and the imaging was much better for sure) - I really like the sensation of being able to tell where an instrument is placed - and that it has a consistent size...

Here is my current system -

•Crites Cornscala Type D’s (the two way)

•5’ Acer Silverworm for speaker cable (link, not audiophile cable, was hoping the silver plating and short length would help offset the amp’s low damping factor)

•McIntosh MC2105 for power amp

•13’ Blue Jeans Cable “subwoofer” interconnects

•Cary SLP 03 preamp, currently with vintage Sylvania 12AU7s that might be a touch microphonic

•Various inexpensive interconnects to sources (monoprice, Etc)

•Turntable is a Lenco L75 on a giant plinth with a Jelco 850L tonearm

•Phono Cartridge is a Nagaoka MP110

•Phono preamp is an Aragon 47K MM/MC

•DAC is a Rega DAC-R

•CD transport/SACD player is an old Pioneer DV-79AVI

•Power Conditioner is a Furman PL-8C (an inexpensive model)

•Record cleaner is a Record Doctor that I never use because it’s too bloody loud and manual!

What I really want is a new preamp, but now I am thinking of upgrading the speaker cables, the power conditioner (if that might help with hum?), getting a new record cleaner that I’ll actually use (one of those sonic ones that can do batches of records?), some new preamp tubes, or some interconnects...was also toying with the idea of a new or secondary tube power amp or maybe a Schitt Aegir...what do you think?

Thank you!

1) Hum.  I occasionally have low-level hum (especially when I roll tube amps in) and it drives me crazy.  Is there a gear-related fix for this like a new power conditioner?

This is likely a product of noisy transformers coupled with very efficient speakers. I doubt a power conditioner will help.

2) The sound overall can sometime be a little brash.  I sit pretty close to the speakers (9’ or so) so I am sure that doesn’t help.

This can be ameliorated (but not eliminated) by better crossovers. I have owned Bob's cornscalas and the xover is one of the weak points. You can also try to dampen the mid horn with dynamat or modeling clay. What you are hearing is the early arrival time of the midrange driver. Attenuating the mid a little will help.

3) Low bass is underwhelming (I am

almost certain this is the room and will try to rearrange, also try to sit further back)

Could be a room issue. But remember these speakers aren't designed to give you true low bass.

4) Imaging is OK, not pinpoint (I had some smaller multidriver speakers a few years ago and the imaging was much better for sure) - I really like the sensation of being able to tell where an instrument is placed - and that it has a consistent size...

Again, not a forte of this design. But sitting further back for better driver integration and spreading them further apart will help with this.

Shakey

You might consider a Rogue Audio preamplifier. Their products are tubed. Some are tube/solid state hybrid, some are not.

I have a Rogue Audio RP-7 preamplifier in my system and there is absolutely no audible hum, to my ears, produced by this preamplifier. I am very pleased.

Dave

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk