Vintage Stereo Receivers

henry4841

On 9/18/2020 at 7:54 AM, henry4841 said:

I recently bought 3 vintage Kenwood Receivers from the 70

I have had a few Kenwood, including the monster KR9600. There are several receivers that I have had that has gotten me to where I am. I have tried several new receivers and integrated amps from names such as Yamaha, Marantz and Denon... and none have satisfied my ears nearly as much as the old school SS receivers and amps. The newer stuff is faster, but it sounds thin and has no warmth. To me, the main thing is to A/B equipment in the same room, at the same time and using the same everything.

As far as receivers, I am a fan of:
HK730
Luxman R115 and R117
Marantz 22xx and 23xx
Sansui Gxxxx (I have the G8000)

Pioneer SX-xx50
I don't have, but have read enough to know that I want a Tandberg TR-2080 or TR-2075

• Like 2

One thing for sure about 70's receivers, eye candy. The one thing I have been missing for the last decade or so was FM. I would think most 2 channel listeners here only have amplifier and speakers. Not one to sit down and only listen to FM but I do like having it in my bedroom for listening to late at night in bed. Sure you could add a tuner to what you have but there are not a lot of new choices out there anymore. Not like there was in the 70's. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, richieb said:

I too have a 430, unrestored, and have no way of comparison to one that has had a proper look see. However, with listening to it  no more than and hour or two total I was never impressed enough to dump any money in it.

There are too many threads about the HK X30 with critical listeners, who own McIntosh and tube gear, who are saying positive things about the HK for me to not try one. 

• Like 1

Well, today my HK430 was delivered. It is unrestored, in original condition, all is working. First impression: the radio section is amazing, phono stage okay. Will be testing CD and DAC in the course of the night. 

Perfect combo with my 1972 Heresy speakers. 

Update: falling in love with the stereo fm all over again... 

Update 2: the twin power really makes my 1972 Heresy shine in the low frequencies. 

Update 3: I know it's a cliché, but I 'm hearing new details/aspects in my music. 

PSX_20201016_171754.jpg

PSX_20201016_172851.jpg

• Like 7

Ode to my newly acquired H/K 430

Please bear with me. I know this anecdotal, and I have read similar stories on this forum but I would like to share it with you anyhow.
So in the beginning of the week I bought a H/K 430 on an auction site from a private seller. He had a 100% rating as a buyer, but never had sold anything on the site. So that made me a bit nervous. It arrived on Friday (yesterday). After I contacted the seller to thank him for the excellent transaction, he told me he actually hadn't intended to sell it. He had owned it for a while, unused, and then put it on the auction site. Then he started listening to it. He loved it so much that he decided to restore it, so he had ordered an upgrade kit. That's when I came into the game and bought it and paid for it immediately with Paypal. He then realized he'd forgotten to take it off the auction site. For fear of losing his 100% rating, he reluctantly decided to let it go. So when I got home from work, the H/K 430 was in my carport, packed in a Canon A3 printer carbon box. I couldn't wait to unpack and to start listening. The amp is in pretty mint condition (for a 44 year old) and all the lights are working too.  Connected to the 1972 Heresy's, The sound is simply amazing. After I connected an FM-antennae, the vu-meter went up to 7 or 8 for the main stations. At first, I thought the phono stage was just average, but later in the evening, it sounded much better (or my brain had adapted). Now I think it is amazing. Also CDs and my DAC sound pretty amazing. As the hours progressed, the bass tones became even more prominent.
But all this, my friends, is just introductory.

Late at night, my wife returned home. She was in a terrible state: a very long, tough working day, followed by 3 hours of difficult cello class. She was exhausted. I convinced her to take a seat in my listening rocking chair to have a quick listen to my new amp. Just five minutes. She reluctantly gave in and sat down. I started playing Katie Melua’s “The Closest thing to Crazy”. The wife closed her eyes. ‘Now play “Nine Million Bycicles” please.” Her eyes were still closed. When that song ended, she said: “Now play “Oblivion” (Il Gardellino).’ And she added: “Does it also play any louder.” It was already past midnight. Our 3 teenage kids were already in bed. She: “Turn it up a bit.” Now usually, she would say something like: “Can you turn that damn music down please.” But not tonight! So we ended up browsing through our Spotify playlist until way past 1 o’clock. All stress and exhaustion was wiped off her face. As we were going through the ‘usual suspects’ on my playlist, I had an existentialist experience: it was as if I had never heard them before. Really. Just like that. The more I focussed, the more they sounded completely new to me. Mind you, no alcohol consumption was involved. 😉

PSX_20201016_172851.thumb.jpg.84e482d9426ab99ee985c8237835b66e.jpg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

ILI    Buy some deoxit and clean all the pots ...clean them twice once then operate the controls back and forth. Then next day clean them again junk loosens up and causes problems. Then get some furniture grippers for those sweet Heresy's i see they are on hard wood floor. Oh and get that turntable off the speaker,,,lol. 

I had a HK630 that didnt work right I cleaned all pots still didnt work right. Guy bought it from me called me said it works great....I asked him what did he do to it.....he said I sprayed the hell out of whole thing with a can of deoxit. The board and everything lol. I told him if he ever wanted to get rid of it call me back. Funny I had thought about doing just that but didnt have a can of deoxit at the time. Dam it...lol

• Like 1

On 10/17/2020 at 12:27 PM, ricktate said:

. Oh and get that turntable off the speaker,,,lol. 

Yeah I was so in a hurry to listen... Going to rearrange and 'de-clutter' my audio corner... 

I have same feeling I had after I bought my analogue camera Eos Canon 1v: after that, I was cured from my 'GAS' (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) for cameras, because nothing could do better than that camera. The HK430 plays in the same league.... 😉

• Like 1

Do some homework and see what is involved in cleaning the pots on that particular receiver. Some receivers are very simple and some are a PIA and the pots have to be removed from the circuit board to clean them properly. Do not spray unless you are doing it correctly because you do not want it all over the circuit board. AudioKarma may have some info along with hifiengine. https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/harman-kardon/430.shtml  Download the service manual. Like Dr's do no harm. 

• Like 1

I'm driving my H IVs with a refurbished Technics SA-300.  I have an SA-200 I bought new in 1979 in the garage driving Auratone 5CTVs.  And I have a Yamaha CR-820 waiting refurbishment to power my H IVs.  All have silver faces!  Yes, we like the old stuff here. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, JohnA said:

I'm driving my H IVs with a refurbished Technics SA-300.  I have an SA-200 I bought new in 1979 in the garage driving Auratone 5CTVs.  And I have a Yamaha CR-820 waiting refurbishment to power my H IVs.  All have silver faces!  Yes, we like the old stuff here. 

Correct me is I'm wrong, but Technics, at the time, had a huge reputation for quality, while now it is a lesser sought after vintage brand. I recently came across a Sierra branded amplifier, at give away price...  This one certainly has the looks of quality, don't know how it sounds, though. 

Screenshot_20201019_064419_com.ebay.mobile.jpg

Probably house brand for some dept. store made by some of the name brand makers of receivers. I just bought a house brand JC Penny receiver called Modular Component Systems a MSC 3233. After some research I narrowed it down to a couple of big name makers. Looking at some inside pictures it looks like a nice quality receiver with good parts. Never will have the resale value of Marantz or Pioneer but I am expecting it to sound good after a refurbish. 

8 hours ago, ILI said:

Correct me is I'm wrong, but Technics, at the time, had a huge reputation for quality, while now it is a lesser sought after vintage brand. I recently came across a Sierra branded amplifier, at give away price...  This one certainly has the looks of quality, don't know how it sounds, though. 

Screenshot_20201019_064419_com.ebay.mobile.jpg

Philips:

https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/philips_hifi_sound_project_ta_6000_22ah773.html

Another one that I have seller's remorse about is the Yamaha CR2040 that I once had. - 120 wpc @ 8 ohm, 5Hz to 100kHz, THD of 0.02%, etc...

It's just some manufacturers got it right. Some put top shelf parts inside and mid-shelf in others, such as Pioneer putting better stuff in the SX-xx50 vs the SX-xx80 receivers.

The larger Project One was a good house brand that I like but doesn't get mentioned much. 

Just as the Tandberg is supposed to be hands down better than many others, there is another one that doesn't get mentioned much: The Concept 16.5. So many of the greatest receivers would get passed over at a yard sale, unless one knows what they are, and the Concept 16.5 in one of those. I have never had one, and unless I score one at my price, I probably never will... but it's one that has been on my look for list for a while.

More reading

concept-16-5-inside.jpg.039b2664320de410bb7d86fb04de1b28.jpg

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

Another one that I have seller's remorse about is the Yamaha CR2040 that I once had. - 120 wpc @ 8 ohm, 5Hz to 100kHz, THD of 0.02%, etc..

I would have seller's remorse over that one myself.   Almost as much as selling my 73 Triumph 750 for $650.

https://classicreceivers.com/yamaha-cr-2040

• Like 1