Chorus II - factory foam situation - how far down? Updated pics

iaRIVR

1 hour ago, EpicKlipschFan said:

chorus 2 use T nuts     for the woofers too ,   you can see them in the holes around the woofer ,  in his pic-  

To my knowledge   T-Nuts were not used by klipsch  ,  maybe @DizRotus  and @jjptkd  can chime in to confirm -

in these pictures , one can see the screw holes being in mint condition -the T-nuts would not be needed -

0C82ABF2-9696-458F-A7B3-1644A709ADB9.jpeg6F4C933D-1073-4B76-965A-765C5FFA4C2A.jpeg

well ya learn something new every day...  i will confirm it for you-  on the chorus 2 & pretty sure the chorus, klipsch did use "t-nuts" or threaded metal inserts for the front woofer since its a PRO woofer & very heavy compared to any other residential woofer they use.  if you look close you can clearly see the metal threads in the pic you posted.  the forte 1& 2 & other models like KG dont use them.   

unless of course you have a letter saying they didnt use t-nuts ???  :wacko2:

• Like 1

On 9/18/2020 at 2:24 PM, iaRIVR said:

Restoring a pair of Chorus IIs and have a couple questions 

Picture1.thumb.jpg.2628d38404485cf694618818393ef6aa.jpg

2) Bracing. Considering one between the woofer and the mid, and maybe two up the sides. Straight across, baltic birch ply or solid maple. Seems most say not necessary.

Mine are Chorus 1's, but braces would be the same. I focused on bracing above & below the woofer at the "weak spots" of the front motorboard & also wanted to stiffen the long sides.

I bought the oak strips @ Home Depot, & used titebond woodglue & a combo of clamps and/or bricks & weights to glue 1 or 2 braces at a time. I would brace em while you have em apart! It tightens up the bass & takes away most of the resonance of the "big flabby box". Go slap the side of one open handed & it will echo/vibrate. Post bracing it will turn into a dull thud. (made a big difference 😃

20200922_202802.jpg

20200922_202710.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks @4JaxJags, I read through that thread and nice work! Leaning towards one brace above the woofer and two on the sides. It's a beast of a cabinet.

Here's the current progress with sapele veneer installed, I needed to get them glued before it turns cold so they are not trimmed up yet.IMG_20200923_160232353.thumb.jpg.8ba37a62bc7fb4f313178ad9879025bc.jpg

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/19/2020 at 9:11 PM, RandyH000 said:

they use BB  ------BALTIC BIRCH in speakers , it's more expensive than plywood -

Well that's news to me as I have never seen one yet. I like the no Tee nuts even though they are there in the picture used and FUR plywood too. I have had speakers covered in Rat Fur though.

On 9/19/2020 at 10:02 PM, iaRIVR said:

I'm almost positive the plywood in my chorus is not Baltic birch, not nearly enough layers. I build with both and the difference is easy to spot.

The numbers were just a quick and dirty comparison to get a sense of the relative difference.

I had a set of Chorus I's that were taken apart because of cat pee saturated wood. I kept a motorboard for a while and I think it was made of Poplar plywood. Had some of that green heartwood appearance on an outer ply and was very light for its size which both indicate Poplar to me. I have read of Poplar being used by some speakers builders as they liked the sound of it for motorboards though I have no idea why Klipsch chose it.

A t-nut is clearly visible in the attached photo posted earlier by OP.  Also clearly illustrated is the fact that the motor board has more plies than basic plywood (used in H2 motorboard below) although it is difficult to count the plies to see if it is consistent with the 13+ plies I have observed in my BB.

098116DD-3B08-4871-8795-E489AA87EB15.thumb.jpeg.8816ff1c6885d03d5dce24ee1c8c0cef.jpeg

ADE8AB55-B96F-44DB-8DA2-4F07ADBB9F08.thumb.jpeg.2eee6a51dc52b2f3540a6efecf0bed0a.jpeg

CAF5153D-7E3E-49BC-A294-BBFF7E78B275.jpeg

1 hour ago, iaRIVR said:

Yeah I'm not sure what's happening here - but the t-nuts on the passive are not stock, woofer ones are.

Also- last piece I need is on it's way!! Expect updates this weekend. 😁

Count your blessings. For some reason those passives get more striped out screws than the rest of the speaker with the ones I have had. Along with loving attention from cats.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, iaRIVR said:

If my cats go after these passives they will end up as mittens.

Too dark?

There are round perforated grille covers some use with those as on the back side no one sees. There is no answer to heavy handed screwers that strip out holes except the stripped hole repair mentioned on the forum or Tee nuts..

• Thanks 1

I’ve seen the foam wrapped like a dome around the woofer in a couple different Klipsch speakers. That’s it, one piece.

Is that considered adequate?

I had my hands on a 2-pack of egg crate foam the other day and put them back because I wasn’t sure how much I needed and thought it best to do a little more research.

And here we are. 

In all the sets of Chorus speakers I have had I never felt the need to dampen anything. Recap crossovers yes and change tweeters out yes but after that they always sounded really good to me. So for those of you who have done this did it really make a difference? I am certain bracing and dampening was needed for Cornwalls but I always considered the Chorus cabinet to be good as is. 

• Like 2