Am I doing this right?

Hey forum members! This is my first ever post. I've been a huge Klipsch fan for years, and here I am still buying and supporting the brand all of these years later. 😊

I come today looking for a little help and perhaps some advice. I recently picked up the Klipsch R-51PM's to replace my older Pro Media 2.1's on my gaming/media PC. 

I just finished setting things up about an hour ago and this is the way I have things configured:

USB cable from motherboard > into Schiit Modi Multibit (DAC) via USB input | RCA cables out from Schiit Modi Multibit into Schiit Loki (EQ) | RCA cables out from Schiit Loki (EQ) > into Schiit Magni 3 (amplifier) | RCA cables out from Schiit Magni 3 (amplifier) into Klipsch R-51PM inputs (Phono/Aux). 

With the speakers turned up to about 85%, and without any media playing (ie: Windows 10 volume being muted), I am able to hear a very audible humming noise. Of course, the whole idea behind buying these speakers was to stretch their legs with music, movies and gaming. At the same time, I want the audio to remain "clean" at those higher levels - the humming and hissing would simply not be acceptable. So, here's the big question: Is this "just the way it's going to be" or is there a way to somehow fix this?

In closing, I've re-seated all cables (multiple times) and the switch is  indeed flipped up to the "Line" position on the back of the right speaker. 

• Like 1

First listen to them with music. My guess, unless something wrong, is 85% of volume is way too much.  Where your volume control is at has absolutely nothing to do with gain. Chances are you will never listen to more than 25% of the volume control. If so that is where you need to listen for hiss. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

I'd suggest going straight from the modi to the speakers and see what you get for results. You could also just go straight from the PC to the speakers.

Hi Thaddeus, thanks for the advice. The only problem with that is I would give up the equalization by not using the Loki. However, you bring up something I simply overlooked - I can go Modi > Loki > R-51PM's, at the very least, just to test out the sound quality. I would forfeit the amp/gain of the Magni, but that might not matter much if the internal/in-house amplification of the R-51PM's is potent enough on its own. 

In any event, thanks for taking the time to help me out. It's appreciated. 😊

Edited by Klipsch Fan Since Y2K
Grammatical fixing.

4 hours ago, henry4841 said:

First listen to them with music. My guess, unless something wrong, is 85% of volume is way too much.  Where your volume control is at has absolutely nothing to do with gain. Chances are you will never listen to more than 25% of the volume control. If so that is where you need to listen for hiss. 

Thanks for the reply, Henry4841. I've been tinkering around with the gain levels on both the Magni and the R-51PM's. I've compared both. The humming is much more prevalent when the R-51PM's volume knob is maxed out. When I lower that and then test the gain on the Magni, there's some humming at the maximum level, but nowhere near as heavy as when the RP-51's are at that same level. 

So right now, the compromise is to set the Magni's gain to around 85%, and the R-51PM's gain to around 65%. There's no audile humming in any media.

In closing, I do have a question: Is the Phono/Line input inherently cursed with hissing/humming due to the electronics involved with that port? If I switch the R-51PM's over to the USB input, for example, and turn the gain knob all the way up (without any media playing), there's no hissing or humming at all...

Grammar fix.

10 hours ago, Klipsch Fan Since Y2K said:

In closing, I do have a question: Is the Phono/Line input inherently cursed with hissing/humming due to the electronics involved with that port? If I switch the R-51PM's over to the USB input, for example, and turn the gain knob all the way up (without any media playing), there's no hissing or humming at all...

The phono input is much more susceptible to hum, noise. Not unusual to have hum when volume turned wide open. Will never be used that way so no problem. In general only very expensive, in my world, equipment will be totally quite on the phono stage with knob turned wide open.

Thanks for the additional words, Henry. 😊

I actually wound up using the Auxiliary input via an RCA to 3.5" cable and the results are so much better. The sound can still get a little "dirty" (ie: the audible hum is still there) when I turn the RP-51's gain all the way up, but nowhere near as bad as it was when I was using the RCA cables on the Phono/Line input. Also, with this setup, I am able to completely utilize the Modi, Loki, and Magni hardware in conjunction with my RP-51's. Between the built in gain and the additional amplification via the Magni, there's a lot of power ready and able to drive these speakers, and that makes me happy.  

P.S.

One additional question: would the use of a 3.5" "noise filtering" device help to clear up (if not totally eliminate) the sound of interference/humming? Also, would such a device have a negative affect on the quality of the sound coming from my media (which is music/movie/games).

Grammar.

32 minutes ago, Klipsch Fan Since Y2K said:

One additional question: would the use of a 3.5" "noise filtering" device help to clear up (if not totally eliminate) the sound of interference/humming? Also, would such a device have a negative affect on the quality of the sound coming from my media (which is music/movie/games).

I wouldn't touch it believing it would degrade the sound.

KFS Y2K,

What you're doing wrong is cluttering up the signal path with a bunch of unnecessary junk.  R-51PMs have a power amp.  The Magni is a power amp.  You can't use both.  Save the Magni for your headphones.  All you really need is a single audio cable from the computer to the R-51PMs.  I doubt you need any EQ, unless you have the test gear to determine how to EQ your speakers flat.  Anything above an Atom has more then enough excess processing power to convert digital to analog in the fly. 

• 2 years later...

I use Elgato WaveXLR as my audio interface for MacBook… I do have the headphone out of that device going into Schiit Magni.. for headphones mainly, but since it does have powered RCA outs, was thinking of finally getting bookshelf speakers… The R-51m (not the powered model), cost less.. would this make sense for me? Would Magni power the R-51 (or R-41)? 

I understand the R-51PM have built in DAC to run USB directly to PC, but my ports are all used up (including my hub).. so I rather use the available output on Magni.  

3 hours ago, AJ CoRe TV said:

I use Elgato WaveXLR as my audio interface for MacBook… I do have the headphone out of that device going into Schiit Magni.. for headphones mainly, but since it does have powered RCA outs, was thinking of finally getting bookshelf speakers… The R-51m (not the powered model), cost less.. would this make sense for me? Would Magni power the R-51 (or R-41)? 

I understand the R-51PM have built in DAC to run USB directly to PC, but my ports are all used up (including my hub).. so I rather use the available output on Magni.  

@AJ CoRe TV Abit dated yet, still welcome... Sounds like would work but, let's get others involved or @JohnA@Jianco

18 hours ago, billybob said:

Which Magni head phone amp do you have, btw.

Think this is on the Magni 2 but, likely applies.

Look at this link, under products, and read the section about, setting up your desktop. Short paragraph and give me your take:

https://www.schiit.com/products.   

@AJ CoRe TV

the Magni+ Heretic (black & red bottom chassis) 

1 hour ago, AJ CoRe TV said:

the Magni+ Heretic (black & red bottom chassis) 

Thanks! Does not change anything from my reading of the product, I wanted you to read. Short answer is no. 

Sorry...only powered speakers.

On 6/21/2023 at 2:25 PM, billybob said:

Thanks! Does not change anything from my reading of the product, I wanted you to read. Short answer is no. 

Sorry...only powered speakers.

Yes I did read it, but was still bit confused. I’ll def go for the powered speakers & just go directly USB to my dock station. Less cables to manage. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, AJ CoRe TV said:

Yes I did read it, but was still bit confused. I’ll def go for the powered speakers & just go directly USB to my dock station. Less cables to manage. 

Yes, just continue with your research as, you will have options for use that powered speaker model have on their own. Another is going from your Magni into an amp like the Vidar for instance. Then, you would or should have connectivity and compatibility with using non powered speakers. Assuming you are aware of this... Customer service should be able to help you sort this out as, not that familiar with their products.

Hope this makes sense...

@AJ CoRe TV

Edited by billybob
Another...