Back amount versus front mount Tweeter and mid horns

longdrive03

I’m putting heresy components into a larger cabinet and plan to rear mount the a Klipsch 6 x 6 tractrix tweeter horn and  A non Klipsch 8 x 12 mid horn for appearance sake. I realize these won’t be Heresys when I’m done. Using K55 mids and screw on EV tweeter driver with Type E xovers. 

I could also front mount these with a recessed a recessed flush mount. Does it make a nickel‘s worth the difference as far as sound quality or the fraction on the horns if they’re rear mounted?

Thanks

How deep is the mid horn? Front mounting could get the time alignment closer between the woofer and compression driver on the front or back.

I asked Roy about that in a thread once where talking about the shallower depth of a tractrix mid horn compared to an older exponential horn types.

15 hours ago, Marvel said:

How deep is the mid horn? Front mounting could get the time alignment closer between the woofer and compression driver on the front or back.

I asked Roy about that in a thread once where talking about the shallower depth of a tractrix mid horn compared to an older exponential horn types.

Here is what they look like

IMG_2617.jpg

• Like 1

Yes sir!  Thought about you when I started. Have to us contact cement as you know but it wasn’t as bad as I thought. Hard to roll the veneer out after attacking. Built a special tool to help. Had just enough to build the pair. Don’t guess you have a pair of K-22 woofers laying around do you?  Will start finish this weekend. Hope all is well with you you!

ken

Actually, with the K-400 on the front, the time delay is worse, bit it isn't as noticeable as the mid tweeter distance. That's why my tweeters are placed towards the back of the cabinets, with the mid/tweeter diaphragms lined up. 

On 9/28/2020 at 8:54 PM, Marvel said:

Actually, with the K-400 on the front, the time delay is worse, bit it isn't as noticeable as the mid tweeter distance. That's why my tweeters are placed towards the back of the cabinets, with the mid/tweeter diaphragms lined up. 

Have you considered sticking the K77 back in the cabinet? 

It would make it appear you have addd the tweaks and a super tweeter. 

I don't have k77s for these cabinets... I saw them sitting on a guys front porch, stopped and asked about them and paid $100 to haul them home. None of the parts were correct. They had some 800hz ev horns in them, piezo tweeters and an an Eminence woofer with the wrong t/s parameters.

My older son had some K33 woofers he had purchased from JWC. I had the Eminence tweeters/horns already, that I had used on my LS I had sold. The only thing I kept was some EV1828 compression drivers which wirk great on the K400 horns I got from a member. Plus a set of DHA2 crossovers I had built.