How would you use this space?

Thaddeus Smith

2 channel with a TV. La Scalas (ish) with the nice open back ESS drivers and TH-Spud clones will all be on the front stage. Just a single listening position. Side wall heights are 4ft and the loft dimensions are 23' x 24'.

The build is many years off and will be our grow-old-in-it house, but this loft space will likely be my primary spot for listening and office/den type paraphernalia. So how would you orient within the space, what are the compromises, and what are the strengths? I'd be going with carpet, thinking of shortening and raising the window, plenty of flexibility for running dedicated circuits, etc.

Farmhouse style plan 888-13 upper floor

w1024.jpg?v=17

w1024.jpg?v=15

w1024.jpg?v=16

• Like 2

I would think the floor.

Is this your house now? Beautiful, btw. We currently have a one story house, other than three steps down to ground level, which was the former garage and is now our 21x23 music/tv room.

How is your health? I'm 71 and able to do stairs just fine, but we want our final home (while alive) to be a single floor. Then we're pretty much set for what may come.

Bruce

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Marvel said:

I would think the floor.

Is this your house now? Beautiful, btw. We currently have a one story house, other than three steps down to ground level, which was the former garage and is now our 21x23 music/tv room.

How is your health? I'm 71 and able to do stairs just fine, but we want our final home (while alive) to be a single floor. Then we're pretty much set for whatmay come.

Bruce

Nah. We're on our land and the current house is falling apart, but we'll own it outright in a few years and then build the new house 50 yrds or so north in the pasture. We'll raise the current house to ground and use the foundation for a new barn, keep the current detached garage as-is, etc. We've planted a flag in this design after browsing through countless options - it's got good basic structure that will support the remaining few years our girls will have with us at the time of build, and the layout is good for a few modifications we want at the time of build. I'm 38 currently, so I'm hoping stairs won't be a problem for a bit.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

2 channel with a TV. La Scalas (ish) with the nice open back ESS drivers and TH-Spud clones will all be on the front stage. Just a single listening position. Side wall heights are 4ft and the loft dimensions are 23' x 24'...So how would you orient within the space, what are the compromises, and what are the strengths?

Farmhouse style plan 888-13 upper floor

The real advantage of the AMT-1s over the stock K-400 midrange horns/K-55 drivers is that you don't have to worry about the loss of vertical directivity of the midrange horn/driver like you do with stock La Scalas.  So you can put the AMT/La Scalas just about anywhere that you wish and still get an outstanding center phantom image without having to use a lot of absorption around the loudspeakers. 

The SPUDs can go wherever you need to put them to get good LF coverage at whatever listening position that you choose.  Just about any position where the AMT-1s are putting their output toward the center of the room (forward or rear) will work to provide coverage across the room.  The only constraint that I see is the bass bin coverage above 200 Hz--that would probably need to be aimed toward the center of the living/listening space.

Chris

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have had good luck with LaScallas in just about any space

10-15 feet apart they sound great

Corners, no corners doesn't matter. On the wall or off of the wall works.

Thick carpet in the middle of the room is a plus

Absorbent furniture is a plus

Book cases with books or curtains at the back of the room for damping.

Sound is always better with open windows.

Glass is highly reflective, curtains work for damping when closed.

In your space, I would put the TV in the middle of them and use the LaScalas for sound

Getting line level, from the TV or source device or both is all you need downmixed to stereo.

I put some small wheels on the bottoms of my LaScalas a few years ago

Mids line up to my ears even better, and it's much easier to clean or rearrange them or get to the backs

Get smoked Glass tops for the speakers, somehow a lamp or other will be placed on top of the speaker, no plants

Enjoy

`

Thad -

I would start by  adding subtle contrasts to  the various sections of the house -

-a mix of  colors that are pastel and glossy can do wonders  to  show the high ceilings , the angles , and the wraparound stairway  is for me  the centerpiece , and the  walls can also abound with  exciting graphics  -

-if you  have friends who are artists and who can paint  , or spray paint ,  you can  ask for their  ideas of murals  -

- the stairs ,  is an intricate steel structure  design that is worth highlighting with colors  , and , as you look up  , from the 1st floor at an angle   it should stand out  as a link  -

On 9/21/2020 at 7:04 AM, Chris A said:

The real advantage of the AMT-1s over the stock K-400 midrange horns/K-55 drivers is that you don't have to worry about the loss of vertical directivity of the midrange horn/driver like you do with stock La Scalas.  So you can put the AMT/La Scalas just about anywhere that you wish and still get an outstanding center phantom image without having to use a lot of absorption around the loudspeakers. 

The SPUDs can go wherever you need to put them to get good LF coverage at whatever listening position that you choose.  Just about any position where the AMT-1s are putting their output toward the center of the room (forward or rear) will work to provide coverage across the room.  The only constraint that I see is the bass bin coverage above 200 Hz--that would probably need to be aimed toward the center of the living/listening space.

Chris

So is it better to have the open loft area to my back, thereby reducing or eliminating rear reflections? Should the listening position be parallel or perpendicular to the angled ceilings? I thought I read a comment from you recently (but cannot locate) indicating the angled ceilings in these types of rooms were an acoustic nightmare.

I haven't any grand plans for a dedicated room on the order of what Rudy has put together, but I'd certainly like to know if there's specific things I should avoid or should mitigate in the proposed space.

5 hours ago, Bubo said:

I have had good luck with LaScallas in just about any space

10-15 feet apart they sound great

Corners, no corners doesn't matter. On the wall or off of the wall works.

Thick carpet in the middle of the room is a plus

Absorbent furniture is a plus

Book cases with books or curtains at the back of the room for damping.

Sound is always better with open windows.

Glass is highly reflective, curtains work for damping when closed.

In your space, I would put the TV in the middle of them and use the LaScalas for sound

Getting line level, from the TV or source device or both is all you need downmixed to stereo.

I put some small wheels on the bottoms of my LaScalas a few years ago

Mids line up to my ears even better, and it's much easier to clean or rearrange them or get to the backs

Get smoked Glass tops for the speakers, somehow a lamp or other will be placed on top of the speaker, no plants

Enjoy

All good info, however I'm not new to the speakers themselves. Mine are also highly modified and not standard La Scalas. The tech piece is another area that I've got quite sorted, so I'm more focused on the effects of the room itself.

1 hour ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

...I thought I read a comment from you recently (but cannot locate) indicating the angled ceilings in these types of rooms were an acoustic nightmare...

They are if you've got loudspeakers having a big vertical coverage angle.  All the Heritage models lose their vertical pattern control around 2 kHz (the consequence of the "collapsing polar" or pattern-flip midrange horn).  This is why having vaulted or tilting ceilings is an acoustic nightmare with Klipsch Heritage.  K-402s and K-510s control their polars vertically, but still have a very large vertical coverage angle, and vaulted ceilings still create some issues. 

With the stacked AMT-1s, your vertical coverage angle is controlled and much more focused than the K-400/K-55 series of midrange horns, and are even more narrow than the K-402 or K-510 horns.  While the pitched ceiling will still give you considerably more reflections back to the listening position, the narrow vertical coverage angle vs. frequency of the stacked AMT-1s will limit the ceiling's effect. Only the horizontal coverage angle (about 90 degrees) will illuminate canted side walls. 

Below the crossover frequency (nominally 600-700 Hz), the bass bins have a fairly controlled vertical coverage angle, which work to keep excess acoustic energy off canted ceilings.

Chris

• Moderators

Looks like a nice layout, just to much white for a farm, add some wooden walls or something, it doesn't look country at all. imo

And switch out the picture of the Eiffel tower for a goat picture or something. :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 2