Pioneer SX1250 VS Marantz/Mac?

luddite

I have a line on a SX1250 in original condition locally.  Seems to be unmolested, and treated kindly.  

It would replace a McIntosh MC2200 amp, Marantz 3800 preamp, and period correct silver face Sony tuner, and drive a pair of Forte 2's.  

This is now a secondary system, but I do use it on a regular basis, and enjoy the retro vibe.  

My rational for the switch would be to "downsize", and replace 3 components with a single receiver.  

But, realistically, I've always wanted the 1250, mainly for its reputation as a high water mark in Pioneer's line.  

I have owned other Pioneer equipment from the 1970's and 1980's, and have enjoyed the sound.   

I would then get rid of the separates as I could.  You may see them listed in the Garage Sale down the line.  

Is my 200 watt Mac amp with autoformers that much better than a 160 watt Pioneer?  Likewise my highly regarded Marantz preamp, and so-so Sony tuner?  

Or is this an apples to oranges comparison, and not really worth it to rationalize another purchase of way too old equipment?  

Both are excellent equipment. It will be hard to find someone who had the same gear at the same time to compare. You are probably on your own for which is better for you. Both your gear and the Pioneer could do with a refurbish but that can get expensive depending on who does it. I have been watching some of this guys videos and you may want to watch it to get and idea on what he thinks of it.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjTjAwaopXk&t=5s&ab_channel=xraytonyb

• Like 1