Center and surround with Heresey IV ?

Joachim

I recently purchased a pair of Heresey IV for stereo/music purposes, and I'm also thinking about expanding this to a 5.1.4 surround system. So the question is what speakers is best suited with the Heresey IV ?
Using a Heresey IV as a center is obviously the best choice, but not a option unfortunately. This is in a living room and the space is limited. We have the walls and ceiling opened at the moment, so Im thinking in-wall and ceiling for the rest of the setup.

Heresey IV has 99 db of sensitivity, and I have some problems finding speakers that can match this, will this be a problem? As a atmos ceiling speaker and surrounds I was thinking Klipsch PRO-180RPC and PRO-180RPW. Both of these is rated at 96db sensitivity, but with the center speaker, the highest I'ver seen is at 94 db.  I'm leaning towards the THX-504 in-wall center, which is rated "only" at 92 db, will this work? 

Will the quality and timbre of the THX-504 be "on par" with the Heresey IV?  Other sugestions? Thanks for any input.

• 2 weeks later...

It sounds like you want to put together a good system.  When it’s possible, it’s ideal to have a complete set of matching speakers.  That way, the timbre is consistent, but it won’t be exactly the same with each speaker, due to their different positions relative to the room and the furniture and other objects in it.

In the real world, it’s not always possible to have the theoretical ideal, like with your centre speaker, for example.  As for level matching, many AVRs can accommodate some difference in sensitivity in their available adjustments.  The Yamaha AVR that I use has an adjustment range of 10 dB, which has been enough with my all-Klipsch system, but was not enough when I had some Paradigm Atom speakers in Surround positions.  The La Scala main Left and Right speakers have numbers of 104 dB sensitivity, while the Atoms were in the low 90s.  However, when I switched to Heresy IIs, at 97dB, the problem was solved.  In your case, a difference of up to 8 dB may be within the adjustment range of your AVR.

Also, as I’m sure you’ve noticed, distance is a factor, in that your Surround speakers may be nearer to you than the 3 front channel speakers, especially if they’re in the ceiling, reducing the volume level difference.

Are you sure you have no room for a Heresy IV in the centre?  I was able to fit a Heresy II in the TV stand for the 35” CRT TV that I was using at first.  I just had to slip out the shelf for the VCR and there was room to spare for the H-2.  Heresy IV speakers are not inexpensive.  If you’re spending that much for speakers, why not consider a new TV stand, or is your TV mounted on the wall?  I should point out that a Belle Klipsch makes a great centre channel speaker and TV stand.  It’s only 18 inches deep, so it doesn’t protrude into the room very much.

Photos are always helpful for us to see what sort of space you’re working with.

• Like 1

I struggled finding a timbre match for my Forte iii's and a Heresy was a perfect timbre  match, but wouldn't work for my wife. I ended up purchasing the B&K Sound CSC-1 from Bob Crites at the link below, which is a more traditional center channel, and the timbre match is phenomenal. I would fully expect it to match the Heresy iv as well. Good luck on your search.

https://critesspeakers.com/csc-1-center-channel-speake.html

Appreciate all of your input. I'll check out the B&K Sound CSC-1 Foxman, seems like a good match, I  can even custom make the box to fit wherever.
But is this a better choice than what I'm already considering? The Klipsch THX 504 ? 

Since I'm blessed with a somewhat forgiving wife, I'm allowed to do this theater setup in the living room, but only in reasonable terms.

I understand the Heresy range is the easy answer for center speaker. Heresy IV is not a big speaker, but here in scandinavia, most media furniture won't fit this size.  
I have a furniture now, and theres three compartments inside which is each only 50 x 32 cm tall and wide. And this is a typical size media furniture here. 

Sure I could place the Heresy IV on top of that furniture, but with a somewhat low ceiling height It would be in the way of the pulldown screen.

I could also place the speaker on the floor in front of the furniture right? I don't think my wife would have liked that :P

Also I'm changing speakers quite often, so being stuck with the one extra Heresy would be a challenge sales wise. Not ideal being stuck with inn-wall sepakers either though.

More sugestions? Anyone having experience with Klipsch Inn-wall/ceiling? Not much info to find out there.

Hi,

You can try RP-500C which has a good output close to your Heresy IV with 96db/w/m, https://f072605def1c9a5ef179-a0bc3fbf1884fc0965506ae2b946e1cd.ssl.cf2.rackcdn.com/product-specsheets/RP-500C_Spec-Sheet_v01.pdf

and also a tractrix horn like your Heresy IV. It measures Dimensions (W x H x D): 470 x 173 x 223 mm this should fit in your doghouse. And in addition it is beautiful with several colors of finish to satisfy your choice and it is marked Klipsch nicely :wub:

https://www.klipsch.com/products/rp-500c-center-channel-speaker

Close up of a Klipsch speaker system surrounding a tv

Nice tip mustang_flht ! Have you heard It yourself? Is It good enough to keep up with the Heresy If you don't just look at the output and senitivity?
How Is Tractrix with vertical dispersion? It will be somewhat low If I place It in the furniture. Other center speakers I've placed there have sounded kind of shit :P

If your pulldown screen is acoustically transparent, a speaker behind it might just sound fine.  As well, some receivers have a basic built-in equalizer for the centre channel.  That would enable you to bump up the treble as needed to compensate for the slight muffling of the high frequencies due to the presence of the screen.  After all, most Klipsch Pro Theatre speakers are designed and voiced to sound fine from behind a commercial movie screen.

• Like 1

It's not a acoustically tranparent scrren unfortunately, and a screen like this would be a compromise with image quality wouldnt it !? I would really liked to have the options of auditioning all these speakers considered and mentioned, but thats impossible. Not many retalers have this option where I live, hence creating this post  :)  Thanks for all the feedback so far, I've got some good options here. 
As a alternative to the mentioned RP500C, do you guys think the PRO 250RPW in-wall variant would deliver similar performance?

Hi @Joachim

If your shelf has a high enough niche you can tilt the RP-500C by putting a small riser cut or two small feet with the same angle as that of the HERESY III.

This will improve the consistency between the center speaker unit and the HERESY IIIs and you will no longer have a problem with treble directivity, even when standing or sitting in a sofa.

🙂

6 hours ago, mustang_flht said:

Hi @Joachim

If your shelf has a high enough niche you can tilt the RP-500C by putting a small riser cut or two small feet with the same angle as that of the HERESY III.

This will improve the consistency between the center speaker unit and the HERESY IIIs and you will no longer have a problem with treble directivity, even when standing or sitting in a sofa.

🙂

Yes that may be possible ! I didn't have room for tilt before, but I''m about to swap som equipment, and that may free up more room for that, so I will definitely check that out ! :) 

Edited by Joachim
  • Like 1