WTB - Basic integrated for Chorus (Rotel?)

iaRIVR

Looking for a solid integrated on the lower end of the price spectrum. Very interested to try Rotel but open to suggestions. It will be driving a pair of Chorus IIs and a set of full-range speakers (FHXL), so doesn't need to be crazy but I hear the Chorus like a little power. I have an HK430 now and have had a run of bad luck with the last couple of amps I have tried, so ideally something solid and simple (probably not vintage).

Open to other brands as well, I was interested in Rotel as an example of a brand that has a reputation for good value and I sound I would like to try.

Would really prefer something with A&B speaker selection so I can switch between the two sets, and a pre-out and phono would be fantastic but not required.

• Like 1

are you looking for a integrated amp that includes teh pre amp? or a true separate amp & pre amp?  rotel is a very good brand & used components can be found for decent prices.  personally i would try to find true separates so the quality is a little better for a stand alone pre & amp vs a intergated that spreads the cost over both. not that there arent quality integrated amps, but if you dont like the amp of the integrated unit or want more power, then the integrated amp is a waste if you upgrade to a better amp.   

if you are looking for more power than the average AVR range of ~100wpc, i would consider something closer to 150-200wpc.  lots of rotel amps in that range for under $500,  i have a rb990bx rotel that is 200wpc & its a very good sounding amp.  another option for budget friendly power is the adcom gfa555ii,  you can find the rotel & adcoms for about $350-400 & for that price they really cant be beat for all out power & very good sound quality.  i have both adcom & rotel & swap them around on chorusiii & forteii & K-horns when i had them, both sounded good,  not tube amp good but then again most low power tube amps cant do what big power solid state amps can for LOUD listening.  

• Like 1

I'm open on the watts, I had 100 as a ballpark to keep the cost realistic. I think I'm at 24 now with the 430...

Would love to go separates, but I don't have an amp so of course buying both also increases cost. Long term I plan to go that route, so my thought was an integrated with a preout I could use with an amp in the future, and eventually replace with a dedicated preamp. Thanks for the amp suggestions, I will keep an eye out for those.

I am collecting parts to build a Aleph J clone this winter, so waiting and getting a preamp for that is another option. I just don't want to feel rushed to get that done or I'll probably mess it up. There's an RX-1052 on CL I asked about, seems solid and has some features that might be nice.

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, billybob said:

Looks pretty solid. And looks like phono ready per my reading, although a little different language.

https://www.cnet.com/reviews/rotel-rx-1052-review/

http://www.rotel.com/product/rx-1052

Yes phono...

I would take one of those, seem pretty solid. There was one locally for $250 I missed. Should have pulled the trigger!