Best Klipsch Bookshelf Speakers?

Hi all, 

New to the forums, lurking for a while now!

Curious about what you all think is the best Klipsch bookshelf speaker? I'm thinking it's likely the RB-75, but those haven't been sold for quite some time.

What would be the best option now? 

What is your budget, and size requirements

What is the power of your amp

How deep are your shelves ?

If they will fit, Hersey 1s upright, and declare victory for $400

Synergy B3s sound great and can be had for $50-100 pair used

4 B3s with a C3 Center makes a good surround system for little $$

Get a good used surround amp that is AB, and supports direct mode. $100-200

Run it in stereo Direct for Hifi, some are as good as 120db SN in direct from the DAC to the Amp section

Connect devices to it via glass tosslink for optical isolation, maybe a Bluetooth receiver with glass out for $30

Non direct, you can use a microphone to set up the internal EQ and room adjustments

Pioneer Elites and Yamaha's come to mind, Yamaha's are unusually clear sound, why I own so many of them.

Parts express sells good mics for not much, ask the guys on the forum for suggestions

23 hours ago, 450 said:

Curious about what you all think is the best Klipsch bookshelf speaker? I'm thinking it's likely the RB-75, but those haven't been sold for quite some time.

I would agree that the RB-75 is the best bookshelf speaker Klipsch has ever produced, except for the P-17B which new was not "available" for the "common" man to purchase at $4000.00/pair msrp.  Though, "if" you can find a pair on the used market, they are more affordable.  Some in Klipsch land consider the Heresy a "bookshelf" speaker, me included, just on the huge side of the spectrum.

Bill

All subjective opinions on whats the "best"... for the price on the used market, the KG series like kg 1.5-2.5 are excellent bookshelf speakers & for ~$100 are hard to beat.  Newer gold woofer speakers are good too, just depends on your budget & the rest of the system they will be used with.    

• Like 2

On 9/24/2020 at 10:45 AM, 450 said:

Hi all, 

New to the forums, lurking for a while now!

Curious about what you all think is the best Klipsch bookshelf speaker?  the 75's haven't been sold for quite some time, what would be the best option now? 

So if I've interpreted your post correctly you're looking for opinions on brand new options?

Depending on how deep your pockets are and how much room you have the Heresy IV might be the best "bookshelf" out there right now from Klipsch.

I've never heard them myself or the RP-600's which seem to get really good reviews as well. 

Klipsch just came out with a set of powered Bluetooth speakers "the Fives" people seem to rave about those as well. 

Older speakers the 75's are pretty good as are the Palladiums P-17's, I've had both and honestly I prefer a pair of RC-7 centers I think they even best the Palladiums if running them without subs. 

On 9/25/2020 at 9:44 AM, Bubo said:

What is your budget, and size requirements

What is the power of your amp

How deep are your shelves ?

If they will fit, Hersey 1s upright, and declare victory for $400

Synergy B3s sound great and can be had for $50-100 pair used

4 B3s with a C3 Center makes a good surround system for little $$

Get a good used surround amp that is AB, and supports direct mode. $100-200

Run it in stereo Direct for Hifi, some are as good as 120db SN in direct from the DAC to the Amp section

Connect devices to it via glass tosslink for optical isolation, maybe a Bluetooth receiver with glass out for $30

Non direct, you can use a microphone to set up the internal EQ and room adjustments

Pioneer Elites and Yamaha's come to mind, Yamaha's are unusually clear sound, why I own so many of them.

Parts express sells good mics for not much, ask the guys on the forum for suggestions

I'd like to keep this under $1500. Less is better obviously! But if I need to I can change the budget.

No real size req as I will use stands. Current speakers are Magnepan MG1.6qr.

Amp does 500 wpc at 4 ohms. Probably 300 wpc at 8 ohms.

On 9/25/2020 at 10:08 AM, willland said:

I would agree that the RB-75 is the best bookshelf speaker Klipsch has ever produced, except for the P-17B which new was not "available" for the "common" man to purchase at $4000.00/pair msrp.  Though, "if" you can find a pair on the used market, they are more affordable.  Some in Klipsch land consider the Heresy a "bookshelf" speaker, me included, just on the huge side of the spectrum.

Bill

I haven't found a P-17B recently and at that price I'd want an audition first - not really possible in this climate!

On 9/25/2020 at 12:02 PM, EpicKlipschFan said:

All subjective opinions on whats the "best"... for the price on the used market, the KG series like kg 1.5-2.5 are excellent bookshelf speakers & for ~$100 are hard to beat.  Newer gold woofer speakers are good too, just depends on your budget & the rest of the system they will be used with.    

Just getting opinions right now, not like I can do a bunch of auditions now.

On 9/25/2020 at 1:36 PM, Woofers and Tweeters said:

I agree with the RB75 and KG series comments. For not much more than the KG and a about 1/3 the cost of the 75, the RB35 do very well. 

Regarding the RB35 vs RB75, is the main difference the tweeter and crossover components? The woofer seems the same on both. Can I buy the RB35 then buy 1.75" tweeters? Or is the horn a different material/size as well?

On 9/25/2020 at 3:31 PM, jjptkd said:

So if I've interpreted your post correctly you're looking for opinions on brand new options?

Depending on how deep your pockets are and how much room you have the Heresy IV might be the best "bookshelf" out there right now from Klipsch.

I've never heard them myself or the RP-600's which seem to get really good reviews as well. 

Klipsch just came out with a set of powered Bluetooth speakers "the Fives" people seem to rave about those as well. 

Older speakers the 75's are pretty good as are the Palladiums P-17's, I've had both and honestly I prefer a pair of RC-7 centers I think they even best the Palladiums if running them without subs. 

Brand new or used doesn't really matter. I have a preference for 8" woofers since I've always found subwoofer integration to be challenging, especially in an apartment.

I liked the RF7 II and III, and would have no problem buying them, except I think its a bit too much speaker for a smallish apartment. That's why I was hunting for the RB75. 

Thanks for the replies!

Edited by 450

3 hours ago, 450 said:

Brand new or used doesn't really matter. I have a preference for 8" woofers since I've always found subwoofer integration to be challenging, especially in an apartment.

I liked the RF7 II and III, and would have no problem buying them, except I think its a bit too much speaker for a smallish apartment. That's why I was hunting for the RB75. 

Thanks for the replies!

I'd say add a pair of RC-7's to the search they are basically a rb-75 but with an extra woofer I ran a pair in a bedroom set up and they are the closest thing to actual tower speakers that you'll find I actually prefer them over the 75's.

Another option might be RF-5's anyway good luck!

5 hours ago, 450 said:

Regarding the RB35 vs RB75, is the main difference the tweeter and crossover components? The woofer seems the same on both.

The main differences are 1.75 " vs 1" compression driver, real wood vs vinyl veneer, and an 8 lbs weight difference.  Yes the woofers are the same and the horn sizes are different, 8" vs 6".  The crossover frequency is also different, 2000Hz vs 2350Hz which allows the RB-75s 1.75" drivers to handle a bit more of the midrange allowing a smoother hand off.

I have owned 3 pairs of RB35s and currently own one pair of RB-75s.  I do think RB-35s are great performers but the RB-75s are on another plane.

Bill

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jjptkd said:

I'd say add a pair of RC-7's to the search they are basically a rb-75 but with an extra woofer I ran a pair in a bedroom set up and they are the closest thing to actual tower speakers that you'll find I actually prefer them over the 75's.

Another option might be RF-5's anyway good luck!

Yeah looked at the RC-7 too! Hard to find a matching set! How does the RF5 compare to the RB75? I read one of youthman's posts on YouTube and it seemed like he wasn't too impressed with the RF5.

30 minutes ago, willland said:

The main differences are 1.75 " vs 1" compression driver, real wood vs vinyl veneer, and an 8 lbs weight difference.  Yes the woofers are the same and the horn sizes are different, 8" vs 6".  The crossover frequency is also different, 2000Hz vs 2350Hz which allows the RB-75s 1.75" drivers to handle a bit more of the midrange allowing a smoother hand off.

I have owned 3 pairs of RB35s and currently own one pair of RB-75s.  I do think RB-35s are great performers but the RB-75s are on another plane.

Bill

How does the RB75 compare to the Heresy? Should I bother cross shopping?

11 hours ago, 450 said:
On 9/25/2020 at 4:36 PM, Woofers and Tweeters said:

I agree with the RB75 and KG series comments. For not much more than the KG and a about 1/3 the cost of the 75, the RB35 do very well. 

Regarding the RB35 vs RB75, is the main difference the tweeter and crossover components? The woofer seems the same on both. Can I buy the RB35 then buy 1.75" tweeters? Or is the horn a different material/size as well?

You have your answer. If you buy some RB, RC or whatever, and are looking to have them shipped, a FYI is that a lot of horns (that can't be replaced) have been damaged due to the drivers (magnets) being too heavy for the extremely rough handling by the carrier service.  

56 minutes ago, 450 said:

Are horns very brittle? Do I need to take special care if/when moving?

Not at all.  Gravity and weight can be killers to both the woofers and horns if dropped on a hard surface with no real cushion to break that fall.

Luckily, my RB-75s survived a diagonal cross country trip from Tacoma, WA to Kissimmee, FL via Fed Ex.  Daryl packed them wonderfully with original boxes double boxed and tons of bubble wrap and foam rubber.  Not a scratch.

Bill

1 hour ago, 450 said:

I believe the 75 driver/horn is taken directly from the original RF7? It is a semi-pro caliber 1 3/4 inch driver and as stated above is a hefty piece. And take it it from me, yes, the driver Can break from the plastic horn when given a good shipping toss. Even when properly packaged the physics from a hard enough throw/drop might transfer to cabinet and crack - you receive a big ole’ driver bouncing around inside the cabinet. Again, ask me how I know — . And yes, they sound great, can fill a fairly large room, are damn big for what most consider “bookshelf” size, really do better as stand mounts. Add a sub and bingo- a mini RF7 .

2 hours ago, 450 said:

Removing the drivers (magnets) from the horns is the thing to do and too easy. There have been others who have suffered the receiving damaged horns that aren't available from Klipsch. 

• Thanks 1