Klipsch Jubilee 535-B max power capacity

diamonddelts

You might be over thinking this a bit. It might be beneficial but seriously you can drive Jubilees on almost nothing. I am running a George Wright Preamp and a 1.5wpc SET amp. The room is not big so that helps. Unless you are trying to run an auditorium I wouldn't stress too much about and try what you already have on hand.

He's right.  Though I'm weak on all the technical stuff....  suffice it to say that these can and WILL literally make you leave the room from being too loud.  The sick part is, they still have more to give.  Your ears will force you to give up before they're done.

I've never used a buffer so I have no clue to it's benefits/drawbacks.

With all due respect, I think this is going in circles.

The Jubilees are quite efficient and it is hard to imagine that you will not be giving them enough power to play very, very loud (as mentioned above). Also due to their efficiency, any background noise or hiss can become quite audible (as mentioned above). So adding an additional piece of equipment could create an unwanted headache. 

Relax and enjoy your speakers,

-Tom

If you can provide links to what exactly you are looking at then maybe we can be of some help once we know exactly what you would be dealing with. 

A buffer can be very beneficial in situations where the output characteristics of the preamp can’t meet the demands of the amplifiers input characteristics.  Example: If the preamp has a high output impedance and the amplifiers input impedance is low relative to each other then issues of current delivery and drive voltage levels available could lead to the amplifiers input being under driven and thus less than full power output availability.

8 hours ago, mikebse2a3 said:

If you can provide links to what exactly you are looking at then maybe we can be of some help once we know exactly what you would be dealing with. 

A buffer can be very beneficial in situations where the output characteristics of the preamp can’t meet the demands of the amplifiers input characteristics.  Example: If the preamp has a high output impedance and the amplifiers input impedance is low relative to each other then issues of current delivery and drive voltage levels available could lead to the amplifiers input being under driven and thus less than full power output availability.

Here are the two amps I am choosing between. Their price is almost identical. But the NC2000 is four times more powerful. So I understand I don't need the power, but I can't justify paying the same price for the lower power NC1200.

So I'm looking to go with the nc2000 just because the price is so cheap. I just want to make sure I'm not damaging my speakers by doing so. Also need to know if the Sparkos or Sonic image input buffers would be beneficial in terms of gain or voltage when going with the aforementioned hypex amps.

https://vtvamplifier.com/product/vtv-amplifier-monoblock-hypex-nc1200-ncore-amplifier-1200w-with-vtv-buffer-input/

https://vtvamplifier.com/product/vtv-amplifier-monoblock-hypex-nc2000-ncore-amplifier-2000w-with-vtv-buffer-input/

17 hours ago, diamonddelts said:

So I'm looking to go with the nc2000 just because the price is so cheap. I just want to make sure I'm not damaging my speakers by doing so. Also need to know if the Sparkos or Sonic image input buffers would be beneficial in terms of gain or voltage when going with the aforementioned hypex amps.

Having more power available than a system requires will not damage a loudspeaker in itself but caution is very important that you don't run the loudspeaker system above it's max SPL capabilities as well as very cautious that no accidental transient impulses or hum (for example a bad interconnect connection or accidental drop of a turntable tonearm when playing records) could lead to loudspeaker damage.  As far as damaging your speakers my opinion is your ears will give out due to extremely high SPL before your likely to overpower the speakers.

I have no first hand experience with these amplifiers or the buffer options so with that understanding based on the information I've read and posted previously looking at the gain options of 7db vs 14db and input impedances values and source impedance requirements of the NC1200 and NC2000 (which doesn't specify buffered vs unbuffered on some specs) it is my opinion that one of the buffer options would be beneficial for gain options and will give better compatibility with your current Outlaw Preamp or future source components you might choose in the future.

Note: The Outlaw Preamp doesn't list its output impedance or specify if the voltages are balanced or unbalanced in the information I posted earlier for it so you might want to contact them for more specific information but regardless the Input Buffer options for the HYPEX NC amps should help if the Outlaw has a higher than 100 ohm output impedance.

miketn

Looks like plenty of gain is available. No input attenuators (gain controls) is a bummer but can be worked around. The LM4562 opamp (aka LME49720) mentioned briefly is an excellent sounding and performing amp IMHO. National Semi(now T.I.) hit it out of the park with that design. It uses a bit more current quiescently than most IC opamps and is sometimes hard to use as a drop in replacement for other lower quality amps because of this higher demand from the power supply. But in this case with it designed in from the get go I'm sure it works great.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mikebse2a3 said:

Having more power available than a system requires will not damage a loudspeaker in itself but caution is very important that you don't run the loudspeaker system above it's max SPL capabilities as well as very cautious that no accidental transient impulses or hum (for example a bad interconnect connection or accidental drop of a turntable tonearm when playing records) could lead to loudspeaker damage.  As far as damaging your speakers my opinion is your ears will give out due to extremely high SPL before your likely to overpower the speakers.

I have no first hand experience with these amplifiers or the buffer options so with that understanding based on the information I've read and posted previously looking at the gain options of 7db vs 14db and input impedances values and source impedance requirements of the NC1200 and NC2000 (which doesn't specify buffered vs unbuffered on some specs) it is my opinion that one of the buffer options would be beneficial for gain options and will give better compatibility with your current Outlaw Preamp or future source components you might choose in the future.

Note: The Outlaw Preamp doesn't list its output impedance or specify if the voltages are balanced or unbalanced in the information I posted earlier for it so you might want to contact them for more specific information but regardless the Input Buffer options for the HYPEX NC amps should help if the Outlaw has a higher than 100 ohm output impedance.

miketn

Thank you so much for your detailed responses and taking the time to help me. I don't trust the voltage on my Outlaw 976 preamp. So it looks like I'll be taking one of these input buffer options.

If Outlaw 976 output is 2Vrms x 20dB gain =20Vrms =50W across 8 ohms. My experience is with 10W you cannot stay in the room with Jubilees for more than 2 minutes without hearing protection. Outdoors or a movie auditorium is a different story of course. My room is approx 8100 cu ft. I will agree with  @mikebse2a3 Outlaw's specs are sketchy but this is not unusual in my experience.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, diamonddelts said:

Thank you so much for your detailed responses and taking the time to help me.

dont forget that there are tons of amplifiers out there than can do the job ----and you could even use the cheapest Hypex amps ---I use the  new high end  Crown amps and I am quite impressed

21 hours ago, diamonddelts said:

Bad move. You want lower power amps (I use Hypex NC-400's) but my speakers are 6 db less sensitive than the Jube woofer sections, which uses most of the power. I used to run my jubes with cheap 30 Watt chip amps and I could easily reach 124 db peaks with the very best Drum recordings...........in other words, stupid demo loud. Otherwise you jubes will never even see 1 Watt. I think you are out of your frikkin' mind to want to buy a 2 Kw amp just because it's cheap per watt because your signal to noise ratio will suffer.

• Like 3

Now focusing on either hypex NC 1200 or Pascal L-Pro2S. I really wanted monoblocks. From what I have read monoblocks have superior channel separation and dynamics.  But since I'm going to be running these speakers on a 80 Hz crossover, I figured I might only need to go with a stereo amp to save money.

I'm also interested in the Purifi modules but I will wait until their 800 watt modules are released next year. To further save money I will not go with any input buffer. If the outlaw 976 is not enough to push one of the aforementioned amps to their full potential, I will purchase two Royer line level boosters.

Also plan to use additional money saved to get 2 hypex UCD 2000 amps for my subs. I just don't think my crown Xli 3500 is running my two Devastator Subs to their full potential during movies.

Edited by diamonddelts

Keep in mind...

Though it might be fun to stick a V-6 engine into a VW Beetle, it might be even more fun to stick a super charged fuel injected V-12 into the same car.

Fun, maybe....every now & then.  Practical for daily use?  Perhaps not.

Are you looking at V-8's when a flat 4 might be the perfect fit?  

I'm one to talk though...  (as I open up the other side of my mouth).....  I've got a Crown K2 sitting atop each speaker and it's wayyyy over-kill.  

I do however, have complimentary -33 db ear muffs hanging at the entry to room..... :huh: