Pass Aleph J or Dynaco ST70 by vincent

joessportster

Personally I have both in house and to my outdated ears they both sound good. My perception is the Vincent has stronger bass but it could be that I simply WANT to prefer the tubes.  Its hard to teach an old dog new tricks.  I need to come up with a way to move between the amps quickly. Anyone have switch suggestions based on actual use that worked well ?

17 minutes ago, RandyH000 said:

Your ears are fine , the Vincent ST70  -----does deliver better bass --Talk to @Marvel  , he knows the amp pretty well

Appreciate the input.  I can hear bass very well but the high end is where I suffer. A lifetime in the construction and industrial maintenance fields took its toll. When I listen now I am lucky to hear anything above the 12K range.  I know the Vincent is class A / AB and the Aleph is Class A at low level listening I can take either though the Vincent just sounds more fleshed to me. I suspect if I could hear above 12K I would find the Aleph does better up there. 

Perhaps my hearing loss is why I now feel like the Push Pull design just sounds fuller to me. For the longest Time I was a SET devotee and most SET amps are Class A

Food for thought

22 hours ago, joessportster said:

Appreciate the input.  I can hear bass very well but the high end is where I suffer. A lifetime in the construction and industrial maintenance fields took its toll. When I listen now I am lucky to hear anything above the 12K range. 

Joe ----

-  you  can restart training your ear with HF loss  , you need a preamp with 3 separate  bass-treble-midrange tone  controls to be able to adjust the levels of the 3 bands yourself based on your hearing loss --if you want to re-live sound in the minimum  16k levels ,   3  adjustable bands can compensate  as you can add coloration and detail with 3 separate  tone controls  -

gradually , the hearing will normalize , but the preamp is like a crouch or a HF  hearing aid , it  will boost the recording and bring back the details you cannot hear on your own , and as you dial in the amount of HF needed , you will hear sounds you had forgotten in the recording  -

Joe - 

I wonder if either of these different Schiit products - the sys: https://www.schiit.com/products/sys (used in reverse - so outputs to inputs and vice versa) or the other option is possibly the saga-2:  https://www.schiit.com/products/saga-2.  It has a remote as well to switch outputs.  For the tone controls mentioned above - I have always wanted to get one of these from Schiit - the Loki - which just adds tone controls.

Just a shot in the dark.  Either one of your amps though I bet are winners.

20 hours ago, RandyH000 said:

Joe ----

-  you  can restart training your ear with HF loss  , you need a preamp with 3 separate  bass-treble-midrange tone  controls to be able to adjust the levels of the 3 bands yourself based on your hearing loss --if you want to re-live sound in the minimum  16k levels ,   3  adjustable bands can compensate  as you can add coloration and detail with 3 separate  tone controls  -

gradually , the hearing will normalize , but the preamp is like a crouch or a HF  hearing aid , it  will boost the recording and bring back the details you cannot hear on your own , and as you dial in the amount of HF needed , you will hear sounds you had forgotten in the recording  -

Better yet, just get DaveA's sMAHL tweeter lenses with the DE-120. That driver has a rising response to compensate for the average old guy ears of Klipsch heads. Because I have similar hearing loss, why do you think I promote it? As for the "better bass," there's no such thing as Tubes with better bass than Solid State, different, but never as well controlled. I had an Aleph J, and it tops most everything else in sound quality. If bass is a problem, new speakers or subs should be part of the deal.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

Better yet, just get DaveA's sMAHL tweeter lenses with the DE-120. That driver has a rising response to compensate for the average old guy ears of Klipsch heads. Because I have similar hearing loss, why do you think I promote it?

Claude -  you have made my day and I am sure @joessportster will like your answer -  Merci Beaucoup -