Super Heresy project - Whoohoo

Fido

Last year i picked up some very beat up 1979 Heresy speakers from an Ebay seller. They were in bad shape but I was looking for a project to play with and try my hand at veneering. Early on I changed the woofers to Crites woofers and later I changed out the capacitors, stripped off the old messed up veneer and lined the speakers with acoustical foam. I then added some slant risers from Bob Crites. I set these up as my surround speakers and they were a major upgrade from the small speakers I had been using in that situation. Lately Ive been bored and decided to take the Heresys to another level. I decided to change out the klipsch tweeters and replace them with Dave As SMAHL tweeters. After texting with Claude I decided to take them all the way to the Super Heresys that Dave and Caude have been building for a number of years. Claude helped me by giving me a great deal on a pair of Klipsch K-42-KP. woofers. I added a rear 4" port to the back of the speakers and just fired them up and WOW!!!!! The bass is so much stronger - extremely more punchy and the midrange also has more oomph. Very clear now and quite impressive.

Just finished them up a few minutes ago so I have not had a good listening session yet but they are obviously at another level. I must thank Dave A for his amazing Smahls and his assistance and Claude for spending years dialing in these Supers

This forum has a lot of talented people who are willing to share their knowledge and experience and help out other fellow audio enthusiasts.

Thanks Dave and Claude - ps - I knew that Daves Smahls would be great because I changed out my Klipsch tweeters for Dave A's Lmahl tweeters on my Forte Ones and that was an amazing upgrade. 

I wonder if anyone wants to buy my Crites woofers and my original Forte or heresy tweeters?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

my forte and Super Heresy along with my HSU sub and Primaluna EVO 400 - 

As good as my Super Heresys sound I think my Fortes still sound even better but the Supers are much closer to sounding more similar to the Fortes than they did before the changes to the Heresys were made.

IMG_1222 copy.jpg

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Fido said:

just fired them up and WOW!!!!! The bass is so much stronger - extremely more punchy and the midrange also has more oomph. Very clear now and quite impressive.

did you modify the crossover  to match the B network   -  that's another improvement

I followed Claudes recipe but he helped me decide to hold off changing capacitors until after i had listened to the speakers for awhile - I was surprised how close the Supers sounded  to my Modified Forte 1s. Where they are positioned as surrounds I may not change the crossovers - still to be determined - I picked up the 4 uF and extra 2 uf capacitors if I decide to change those out

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RandyH000 said:

-you can simply add one  2UF to the squawker current 2uf cap    for a total of 4uf  ,and then , give us your impressions --  

HeresyITypeECrossover.jpg.jpg.de23dfef3d3838f1059513d6430b10f4.jpg

yes claude and I have discussed possibly making that change along with moving the tap up one on the Autoformer

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RandyH000 said:

did you modify the crossover  to match the B network   -  that's another improvement

One can start with a straight E network (re-capped by Crites in this case), and just put in the big magnet Pro Woofer, put in a port with some insulation, then decide if you want to work up to the full mod, which is +3 db on the mid and tweet. Depends on the ROOM and the listener preference, but the WOOFER is the one that makes a HUGE difference with a "domino" effect on the rest as required.

1 hour ago, Fido said:

yes claude and I have discussed possibly making that change along with moving the tap up one on the Autoformer

To me increasing the sensitivity of the horns fleshes out the inner details of the drivers like lifting a blanket off but if course Claude is right lots of variables as to how it will sound in your room and of course what you're use to. 

I dont know what mods you did to the fortes but they are generally a bit more laid back than a Chorus or a Cornwall, which is the direction the supers will turn with the bump up in output. Who knows you might actually prefer it over the fortes worth a shot easy to switch back and forth you got the hard stuff done already. 

Congrats by the way on a great rebuild those turned out really nice!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jjptkd said:

To me increasing the sensitivity of the horns fleshes out the inner details of the drivers like lifting a blanket off but if course Claude is right lots of variables as to how it will sound in your room and of course what you're use to. 

I dont know what mods you did to the fortes but they are generally a bit more laid back than a Chorus or a Cornwall, which is the direction the supers will turn with the bump up in output. Who knows you might actually prefer it over the fortes worth a shot easy to switch back and forth you got the hard stuff done already. 

Congrats by the way on a great rebuild those turned out really nice!

I updated the crossovers on my Fortes and changed out the K77 Tweeters to Dave A's Lmahl Tweeters and that made the Fortes sound so much more accurate and bright without sounding fatiguing. My large HSU sub adds plenty in the lower registers that isn't found in most speakers. A good fast sub that digs down below 20 HZ helps you feel the music and feeling is just as important to me as hearing.

So far I am loving Claude and Daves Super Heresy upgrades and the projects fixing them up have been a lot of fun and they feel very custom now in our home.

• Like 2

Finally tried the Super Heresy modded speakers as my mains just to compare to my Fortes and I am very impressed with how good they sound. Very close to the sound of the Fortes but the mid bass of the Super Heresys might actually have more punch. My initial listen as my mains surprised me because there is very little difference between the larger Fortes and the small Heresys. Also I find that the Fortes sound best placed about 8 inches off the back wall but the Super Heresys can be out from the wall without losing any bass. I was also surprised how well the Supers Imagaed! ----- Thanks again Dave A and Claude for all the years you spent dialing these puppies in and sharing your recipe with everyone.

IMG_1225.jpg

IMG_1223 2.jpg

IMG_1226.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fido said:

My wife came home and thought the Super Heresys sounded exactly the same as my Fortes

Most ladies have superior hearing to men, especially if they didn't hang out with garage bands or attend too many rock concerts in their teen age years! That is quite a compliment! I'm very glad you have joined the ranks of SH converts!