Brake Job - Awesome Parts

tigerwoodKhorns

If you are doing a brake job I want to pass this on. 

I have a 1996 Lexus LS400 that I meticulously maintain and I always use genuine Toyota parts.  Last brake job, I decided to use R1 Concepts brake kit.

The Kit includes cross drilled and slotted rotors and carbon pads and sensors.  I thought that is was all BS to get 20 year old guys excited about their goofy car.  I don't like to buy cheap parts and I  kept my old parts just in case I needed to have the rotors resurfaced and start over. 

I was completely wrong.  About $225 and the best brakes I have ever had in my car.  No dust either.  Here is the Amazon link:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016E23TAU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The R1 Website has brakes for just about everything (Amazon is very limited) and I just ordered kits for two more vehicles.  I went with the heavy duty stuff for an RV and the cheaper eLine and ceramic parts for my truck.  They had a 20% off sale and the salesperson gave me an additional discount. 

https://www.r1concepts.com/

This does not happen often so I wanted to pass this on. 

• Like 1

I had a bad experience with cross drill/slotted rotors. But not what you might think.

It was when I was driving a 94' Eagle Talon ES. I inherited some money and decided to put on new front brakes. I ordered a pair of Brembo rotors and pads and put them on myself, easy enough.

Years go by and now a front brake job is needed again. This time I goto a local tire chain that also does brakes. I drop off the car in the morning and go to work. The end of the day I come back to pick it up as they were closing. That's when I found the big problem.

The shop replaced the pads but kept the drilled/slotted rotors the same as they were when I dropped it off. And these rotors were in REALLY bad shape. The grooves in them were horrible since the pads were worn down to nothing. So, the pads now only had about 1/8 the amount of contact area with the worn rotors.

I raised cane about it the next day and told them the car was not safe to drive. I even asked the company owner if he would like it if this happened to his Mercedes SL500. Their reply was that the guys working on it didn't think I wanted new rotors since these were so expensive so they just put them back on (I already knew that drilled/slotted rotors should/could no be turned). 

The only remedy  from the owner was to offer to sell me a pair of rotors for cost and they will install them at no charge for labor. Yea....cost them a lot to do that.

18 hours ago, Mighty Favog said:

The only remedy  from the owner was to offer to sell me a pair of rotors for cost and they will install them at no charge for labor. Yea....cost them a lot to do that.

it takes 1h to replace 2 discs ----no big deal -now had you had an accident ---your own insurance would have disallowed the claim -