Restaining KG4s

jachong

Hello to all,

I just became a happy owner of a pair of KG4s, love them... the finish (oak oil) not that much. It's my understanding that this model also came out also on "walnut oil" which is a finish I love. Would it be possible to restain the cabinets using some type of cherry-look stain? If so, can someone be kind enough to tell me the right way to do it.

Thank you very much for any guidance!

~ja

• Like 1

if they are indeed oak oil & not a lacquer clear coat, all you need to do is apply the stain in your choice of color,  follow the instructions on the can.  or watch some youtube videos on how to stain wood.  if there are light scratches or stains you can do a light sanding with 220-320 grit sand paper to clean up the veneer somewhat, but dont sand too deep as the veneer isnt that thick. 

basically you apply it with a brush or rag, let sit for a few minutes & wipe the excess off. reapply a 2nd coat if needed.  dont get it too wet though as it can raise the grain which will require a light sanding after its dry.  then protect with a good furniture oil. 

keep in mind that it will still look like an oak grain & not a real cherry or walnut.  & oaks coarse grain will usually darken quite a bit with darker stains & may not turn out to be the color of a real cherry wood.  staining is not difficult so should be able to get decent results if you follow instructions on the can. 

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, EpicKlipschFan said:

if they are indeed oak oil & not a lacquer clear coat, all you need to do is apply the stain in your choice of color,  follow the instructions on the can.  or watch some youtube videos on how to stain wood.  if there are light scratches or stains you can do a light sanding with 220-320 grit sand paper to clean up the veneer somewhat, but dont sand too deep as the veneer isnt that thick. 

basically you apply it with a brush or rag, let sit for a few minutes & wipe the excess off. reapply a 2nd coat if needed.  dont get it too wet though as it can raise the grain which will require a light sanding after its dry.  then protect with a good furniture oil. 

keep in mind that it will still look like an oak grain & not a real cherry or walnut.  & oaks coarse grain will usually darken quite a bit with darker stains & may not turn out to be the color of a real cherry wood.  staining is not difficult so should be able to get decent results if you follow instructions on the can. 

Good stuff @jachong

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/28/2020 at 11:31 AM, EpicKlipschFan said:

Great info, thanks! Yes, based on seeing different photos and finishes from this set, yes, they are "oak oil" no lacquer clear coat on them, they feel coarse to the touch, I'm also planning to add some polyurethane finish, mostly for UV protection, these are next to a window that get several hours of sun light during the day... and while refinishing the cabinet, I might add sone extra bracing, I just need to figure out how much (and what type) of bracing should I use.

So today, before i start refinishing the cabinets, i decided to build a couple of angled raisers... i think they came out pretty good. I’m about to stain them using the same stain i got for the cabinets (Varathane’s Black Cherry) 

Let’s see how these will turn out.

A70826C0-FDDD-4CC0-898E-B397E32ACB38.jpeg

• Like 1