Quirky Subwoofer Problem

Peter P.

I've got a non-Klipsch subwoofer being used in a two channel stereo application.

I have an integrated amp with two speaker pair outputs. Speaker pair A is connected to my Heresy's while speaker pair B feeds the speaker level inputs of my subwoofer.

With this arrangement I can shut off the subwoofer if I want as it's easier than reaching behind the subwoofer to the on/off switch.

The subwoofer will go into sleep mode if there's no input signal after a period of time as indicated by a blue/red LED.

I just discovered tonight that, with the integrated amp off, and speaker pair B turned off, the sub detects a signal and never shuts off! I can even hear a low level rumbling if I place my ear near the driver.

However, if I turn on the speaker pair, and the amp is off, the sub shuts off correctly. Same if the amp is on.

I verified it's an amp issue because if I unplug the amp the sub shuts off correctly.

So how can a signal still be passing through the speaker outputs even if the amp is off and the speaker pair is turned off?

If your sub has speaker level outputs I would then connect your sub to the A output of your amp and then your Heresys to the speaker level outputs of your sub and see if it still does it. 

There's a lot of good info out there as to why it's recommended to connect your sub that way if it's possible. 

4 hours ago, wuzzzer said:

If your sub has speaker level outputs I would then connect your sub to the A output of your amp and then your Heresys to the speaker level outputs of your sub and see if it still does it. 

There's a lot of good info out there as to why it's recommended to connect your sub that way if it's possible. 

The sub does not have speaker level outputs, just inputs.

The sub manual does suggest as you mention above, but by wiring the speakers in parallel  with the subwoofer speaker level inputs, by essentially connecting the Heresy's wiring at the subwoofer input. In my situation, it makes for a messier wiring situation which is why I didn't go that route.

Guessing here, probably would take at least a voltmeter or even an oscilloscope to be sure, the ground connection is probably not switched. i.e. the speaker B output ground connection is always connected to your subs low side speaker input. This causes enough potential because of ground currents to tickle the subs auto sensing circuitry when the speaker B switch is set to off. You could try an external switch that switches both hot and ground and see if your sub behaves more to your liking.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Peter P. said:

The sub does not have speaker level outputs, just inputs.

The sub manual does suggest as you mention above, but by wiring the speakers in parallel  with the subwoofer speaker level inputs, by essentially connecting the Heresy's wiring at the subwoofer input. In my situation, it makes for a messier wiring situation which is why I didn't go that route.

You've already run 2 pair of wires.  Just put 2 sets of wires at each terminal A lug.  No need to parallel at the sub when you can parallel at the amp.