Mars is opposed to Earth.

DizRotus

A little thread drift going on?  

The purpose of this thread was to encourage everyone to look up into the night sky to see Mars while in opposition.  The Red Planet won’t again be this close until 2035.  How did we get to trashing Portland?  Aren’t there other threads for that?

Just now, DizRotus said:

The purpose of this thread was to encourage everyone to lookup into the night sky to see Mars while in opposition.  The Red Planet won’t again be this close until 2035.  How did we get to trashing Portland?  Aren’t there other threads for that?

I pointed out the crimson planet to Gia..

the other night

• Like 2

It’s cloudy tonight so no Mars sighting this evening.

According to NASA, Tuesday 10/13/20 is the closest during this opposition.

https://mars.nasa.gov/all-about-mars/night-sky/opposition/

Taken from the NASA article linked above:

“So, with all these added factors, some perihelic oppositions bring us closer together than others. The 2003 opposition was the closest approach in almost 60,000 years!

Mars' orbit is more elliptical than Earth's, so the difference between perihelion and aphelion is greater. Over the past centuries, Mars' orbit has been getting more and more elongated, carrying the planet even nearer to the sun at perihelion and even farther away at aphelion. So future perihelic oppositions will bring Earth and Mars even closer. But we'll still have bragging rights for awhile. Our 2003 record will stand until August 28, 2287!”

I don’t think I can wait until 2287.

On 10/10/2020 at 8:23 AM, DizRotus said:

The purpose of this thread was to encourage everyone to look up into the night sky to see Mars while in opposition.  The Red Planet won’t again be this close until 2035.  How did we get to trashing Portland?  Aren’t there other threads for that?

ok - NEIL , sorry for highjacking your thread -------let's bring it back on focus -Mars it is -----

On 10/9/2020 at 7:28 PM, Seadog said:

Probably just a small shift in frequency inside the spacecraft.  You'll get used to it and never notice.

Bose leads the way in engineering this sound concept.

On 10/9/2020 at 7:50 PM, Seadog said:

In 2011, I attended a meeting of the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics, with Zubrin as guest the speaker.  After the program I bought his book.  He ask what my children's names were, and below is how he signed the book.  He has a very compelling plan for going to and colonizing Mars.

20201009-183119.jpg

20201009-183131.jpg

Very nice, are your sons adventurous?

On 10/9/2020 at 11:31 PM, BigStewMan said:

actually, I'd take Mars over Portland any day.  Heck, I'd probably take Cleveland over Portland. 

What's the point spread?

On 10/10/2020 at 8:23 AM, DizRotus said:

It's been cloudy here for the last couple days, so hopefully clearing out tonight. Monday and Tuesday look to be great viewing around here.

11 hours ago, RandyH000 said:

Perseverance: NASA’s Mars 2020 rover

https://www.space.com/perseverance-mars-2020-rover.html

Great link.  I'm going to use this as a current events article for my students to read.  My 6th grade classes have are working through their rocketry module and this ties in perfectly!

• Like 3