Your First Ever Album Purchase

Jim Gregory

Vinyl Lp Haskel Harr Drum method (mono), so I could learn to be a better Jr. high school snare drummer.

R-7093209-1433562031-3531.jpeg.jpg

A great one I got later was the Westminster Classical Sampler one of the highest fidelity recordings I've ever owned. 

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

This was a weird one.  The sound in the theater (6 track Stereo 70mm Todd-AO) was unbelievably good -- many members of our orchestra went to it together, and the consensus was that it sounded "just like" a live orchestra with great dynamics down in front of the screen.  The score was bouncy, lighthearted and sounded massive, with a 114 piece orchestra.  BUT the record was lousy, sounded compressed, and had some print through (which may have meant that it had been transferred to tape, because the soundtrack music elements were recorded in 6 channel on full coated 35 mm magnetic film, which is very unlikely to allow print through because it is 6 times as thick as tape, and there was no print through audible in the theater.  Even with its problems, the album was an incredible best seller.  Subsequent versions of the soundtrack on CD were almost as bad -- just no energy, and no transparency.   BUT the DVD (no Blu-ray yet) has excellent, dynamic, 5.1 audio, providing you adjust the SPL of the marching band near the beginning to live band level, and leave it there for the whole movie.

After that were decades of classical, jazz, a little rock, etc.

• Like 1

Although not certain, IIRC, the first album I purchased was:

F7D64233-1FFE-4ECD-9179-F34D4CB4CD2F.jpeg

I can picture it on a rack near the checkout counter in Casemier’s Supermarket in Spring Lake, MI.  It was available in mono or stereo, at an extra cost.  I purchased mono.   The release date was 11/22/63, a date that sticks in the mind.

Sorry Marty @thebes.

• Like 2

Jefferson Airplane - Surrealistic Pillow.

Since the only way to hear the album was on the parents’ portable record player in the living room, they got to hear whatever I was listening to, and my father would annoy me by singing along and hamming it up.  The tribulations of being a teenager at home, so long ago.

This was a few years before The Mothers of Invention became popular.  I doubt he would have sung along with them...

• Like 2

I inherited a turntable from an older brother back in 1978. Went to a record store and bought: Boz Scaggs-Silk Degrees, Boston -1st album and Allman Brothers - Eat a Peach. All three cuz they could be played in their entirety, flipped over and done again. 3 great albums. Not sure which I would have picked had I been limited to one.

• Like 1

My first album was a Mototown label....   staring the Jackson 5; "ABC " purchased the album at ABC Music store in downtown Laredo. Use to ride the bus by myself. I'd go visit my grandfather and listen to some cool story's about dad, then grandfather would usually give me 3 bucks, and I'd run to ABC Music store to oooh & aaaah over the gear and see what I could afford, which wasn't much.

• Like 1