Advice needed

Buddy Shagmore

Currently I have my cd/dac sitting on top of my integrated amp. My laptop sits on top of the dac. I was thinking this is best, to prevent dust from filtering down into the amp thru the top vents. But I notice things get a bit hot on top after a longer listening session. Can this be harmful to the dac? Should I reverse things? Then the laptop would be right on top of the amp vents. At least there is an air gap of almost an inch the way I have it now. 

20200929_151954_HDR~2.jpg

35 minutes ago, Buddy Shagmore said:

Currently I have my cd/dac sitting on top of my integrated amp. My laptop sits on top of the dac. I was thinking this is best, to prevent dust from filtering down into the amp thru the top vents. But I notice things get a bit hot on top after a longer listening session. Can this be harmful to the dac? Should I reverse things? Then the laptop would be right on top of the amp vents. At least there is an air gap of almost an inch the way I have it now. 

20200929_151954_HDR~2.jpg

you could increase the space between the Amp and the SACD/CD player/DAC

• Like 1

@Buddy ShagmoreThe amp needs plenty of room to allow heat generated to “leave”. I have min 2 inches clearance under, over and beside my amp and mine is no where near as nice as yours.  Move the other gear if you can. Especially above and below the amp so convection can move the hot air.  Or get the cooler suggested above?

10 hours ago, Buddy Shagmore said:

Currently I have my cd/dac sitting on top of my integrated amp.

I have always had my A-S1000 sitting on my CD-S1000 for better mechanical stability. 

10 hours ago, Buddy Shagmore said:

My laptop sits on top of the dac. I was thinking this is best, to prevent dust from filtering down into the amp thru the top vents. But I notice things get a bit hot on top after a longer listening session.

Maybe a short riser under the laptop?

Bill

• Like 1

9 hours ago, willland said:

Maybe a short riser under the laptop?

Putting a laptop on a heat producing device, or a heat holding surface like a cushion or a blanket, is never a good idea. In the past, I've 'bricked' two laptops by just doing that...

Putting them on risers or vented stands is definitely much better.

Fine-looking gear, but while worrying about dust getting into your equipment is a valid concern, blocking the top cooling vents is a bad way to prevent it.  Getting a proper audio rack is the right thing to do.  Congrats on getting a really nice one.  

As another poster mentioned, you might even notice a tiny improvement in the sound.

• Like 2

On 9/29/2020 at 11:41 PM, Buddy Shagmore said:

Thanks guys. All good advice and appreciated. I will look into doing modifications in my setup. 

Edit: I ordered a VTI BL series extended height audio rack, black frame & caps, 4 cherry shelves.

this VTI BL rack rides on spikes -  you dont wanna  hit it  by accident   , everything comes tumbling down  -----this is not very sturdy for 3k$ amps and expensive DAC's  -----nope , not my cup of tea------

I would search for this type of Dovetail rack ,  these are quite expensive , but you can make a similar rack  using 1 inch Baltic birch  plywood  for about 200$ in wood and cut on a CNC , then bonded  in a wood shop --about 400$ in total  ---

Dovetail Audio Rack with Yamaha

• Like 2

I had a VTI BL 304 rack and it changed the sound in a way that I didn't like. Some people here will poo poo my observation, but it made the sound thinner. I ended up buying a Rigid Rack three shelf rack and all was good with the audio world again. I couldn't sell the VTI, so I ended up gifting it to a friend.

IMG_0626.JPG

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Shakeydeal said:

I had a VTI BL 304 rack and it changed the sound in a way that I didn't like. Some people here will poo poo my observation, but it made the sound thinner. I ended up buying a Rigid Rack three shelf rack and all was good with the audio world again. I couldn't sell the VTI, so I ended up gifting it to a friend.

WOW  ---beautiful sound neutral rack , and sturdy ---your comments on the VTL BL 304 , are echoed  -