Reconstituting La Scala Clone for DIY Cornwall....

Robbie010

I love my clone La Scala and always feel very proud of the fact that I made them from scratch, but I can’t escape the fact that they are not ideal for use in my small lounge / listening room. 

This has got me thinking and looking at reconstituting the drivers and crossovers for use in something that may be more suited to my space and I’m leaning towards the Cornwall. 

Has anyone done this, or has anyone made the switch from La Scala to Cornwall?

As I understand it, they use the same drivers but I would need a deferent mid-range horn and I assume I would need to make substantial changes to the Type A crossovers. Is there anything else I would need to consider?

Thanks. 

• Like 1

Have a look at BEC's website (Bob Crites). He has developed such a speaker cabinet using the those parts (three-way) with a ported woofer. It is generally referred to as a "CornScala" (although that name has been substantially corrupted over the years). The crossover may need to be altered

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Robbie010 said:

I love my clone La Scala and always feel very proud of the fact that I made them from scratch, but I can’t escape the fact that they are not ideal for use in my small lounge / listening room. 

This has got me thinking and looking at reconstituting the drivers and crossovers for use in something that may be more suited to my space and I’m leaning towards the Cornwall. 

Has anyone done this, or has anyone made the switch from La Scala to Cornwall?

As I understand it, they use the same drivers but I would need a deferent mid-range horn and I assume I would need to make substantial changes to the Type A crossovers. Is there anything else I would need to consider?

Thanks. 

Congratulations on the non-trivial woodworking project required to build a pair of La Scala.  Hopefully you live in Florida, and want to pass those cabinets on to a VERY good home.      *<;o)

I second the advice @PrestonTom has posted.  It's going to be the easiest way to accomplish what you are asking about.

----------------------

7 hours ago, Oicu812 said:

Congratulations on the non-trivial woodworking project required to build a pair of La Scala.  Hopefully you live in Florida, and want to pass those cabinets on to a VERY good home.      *<;o)

I second the advice @PrestonTom has posted.  It's going to be the easiest way to accomplish what you are asking about.

----------------------

😂 I have a feeling the Cornwalls would be a far easier build!

Unfortunately, I’m in the UK - which is why I built the La Scala in the first place. If I decide to go down this route I could always use the La Scala cabs as some kind of coffee tables...!??

I must admit, I do love them.....

4D4F18F5-3030-4F77-A904-4827DDBD5ED9.jpeg

Robbie , you can build Cornwall 1 speakers  ,  I own La Scalas and I  purchased Cornwalls and Heresy speakers rather rapidly -

----you can use the k400-400hz horn  in the Cornwall , which becomes a Cornscala  as per  our own   @ClaudeJ1 -----however the k400 will be longer than the  CW Cab -

-the CW1-2 use a  k600/k601 600hz horn -   

Here are  the CW1--- B network -followed by the   LS/ khorn  A network -

the differences :

1) the A network  squawker  13uf cap is replaced by a 4uf cap on the B network  -

2) the taps are up or down  1 tap on the T2A  depending on the XO    for HF-Mids attenuation -

B network

--------------------

CornwallTypeB.jpg

A network

-------------------

-TypeA.jpg

10 hours ago, Robbie010 said:

😂 I have a feeling the Cornwalls would be a far easier build!

Unfortunately, I’m in the UK - which is why I built the La Scala in the first place. If I decide to go down this route I could always use the La Scala cabs as some kind of coffee tables...!??

I must admit, I do love them.....

4D4F18F5-3030-4F77-A904-4827DDBD5ED9.jpeg

I like the look of the finish on these cabinets. What species of wood did you use? What finish did you use?

Oh, and is that Jolly Rodger peeking out of the upper part of the near cabinet?

IMG_1116.JPG

• Like 1

Aren't Cornwalls substantially similar to LaScalas on height and width as viewed from the front?

I've never been around Cornwalls too much but it seems to me a lot of work for a small improvement on footprint, no???

• Like 1

Hi,

Yes the Cornwall are similar in size on the side of the facade, especially if we include the 2 "risers as on the Cornwall III. On the other hand in depth there is a big difference: 15.5" for Cornwall against 25.25 "for La Scala

Cornwall III: H 35.75 "+ ~ 2" (riser) = ~ 38 "/ W 25.3" / D 15.5 "
La Scala II: H 38.5 "(or 40.5" with a riser) / W 24.25 "/ D 25" 25