Need a DVM/Shrink on here

Mighty Favog

Our cat is 7-years old and has had a very turbulent kittenhood. He was found at a gass station lot at about 3-months old but was about half that size. He was so malnourished, his fur on the lower half of his torso didn't even have pigment (brown instead of black). He also had many infections on his neck and head (maybe from getting scratched wrestling with a sibling). As a result, he has neurological damage. His eye sight and hearing aren't the best and he tilts his head all the time, the same way a dog looks at you when he doesn't understand.

He was taken to a vet and he said the little guy was about a 1/2 day from death. He also went to work draining the many infections. After kitty was brought home he still didn't eat for two days. He began to have convulsions from not eating. Then, he was "force fed" babyfood from a syringe into his mouth (not down his throat).  Since then, he would only eat one brand and flavor of can food prepared a certain way (soft food with 1/2 can of hot water added and pureed in a small blender).

Now, the pet food company is no longer making that type/flavor of his food. And he has always been VERY adamant about not eating anything else. Believe me, we've tried. Right now there are 8 different flavors of soft cat food from the same company on the floor and he won't touch any of them. He's still drinking water to fill his belly but I know that's only gonna go so far.

The friend that found him is getting grayer by the minute being this little guy's mom and the reason he's still alive.  So, how long should we wait him out before we break out another syringe to "force feed" him again? Or what other tactic do we need to take?

3 minutes ago, Mighty Favog said:

Now, the pet food company is no longer making that type/flavor of his food. And he has always been VERY adamant about not eating anything else.

what's the name-brand of the cat food , you got a picture ---

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, billybob said:

The cat drinks water, does cat drink anything else?

Whatever the flavor was, there is a similar one somewhere.

Try contacting the company.

We contacted the company and they gave their usual apology speach. But they told us they've discontinued ALL flaked cat food and are only going with puree and chunks, whick he won't touch. We've searched the world over and got the last two cases. But now that's gone without being able to get him to eat anything else. Remember, he doesn't think like a normal cat. I think he has some sort of Asberger's disease. 

1 minute ago, Mighty Favog said:

We contacted the company and they gave their usual apology speach. But they told us they've discontinued ALL flaked cat food and are only going with puree and chunks, whick he won't touch. We've searched the world over and got the last two cases. But now that's gone without being able to get him to eat anything else. Remember, he doesn't think like a normal cat. I think he has some sort of Asberger's disease. 

That is sort of easy to find in other brand. Also, canned tuna.

Does the cat drink anything besides water?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, billybob said:

That is sort of easy to find in other brand. Also, canned tuna.

Does the cat drink anything besides water?

We tried canned tuna but didn't want it either. We tried a Wal Mart brand of canned chicken and he'll eat that. He also eats a hard food that is also set out all the time, but he favors the soft. As another experiment, we dripped the canned chicken juice over some of his hard food along with some of the chicken on the same plate and he ate that. But his mommy read where he's not supposed to have that much straight protein all the time. I would love to transition him to hard food only but cats have been known to starve themselves to death. Remember, this cat isn't "normal" to begin with.

We even tried the same Friskies Pate' with Tuna, which is the same flavor, but he won't even eat that.

He only drinks water.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Not a good situation, sorry no help here, give it what ever it is willing to eat, it's better than nothing.  

12 minutes ago, Mighty Favog said:

cats have been known to starve themselves to death

Yes they will, many years ago we were looking for a cat and found one at a shelter. They told us that is not just one cat, it spent it's whole life with another cat owned by an old lady who passed away and they can not be separated and also they thought they were kind of old. So we took both cats and everything was fine for a year until one got sick and refused to eat, the vet tried everything but the cat died. A week or so later the other cat stopped eating so it went to the vet and he tried everything, with no luck. And what you said is what he said, if they don't want to eat they will starve themselves to death. He thought if was because of being separated from the other cat, being separated from the old lady was not easy but they were together, when that changed it was over. He said there was nothing anyone could do. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I know this sounds crazy. I don’t “believe” it myself. Yet here goes. Our dog has had some issues with itching. We had her on medicine that worked but was really bad as far as side effects. She was taken off it for other reasons. Long story short we put her on CBD Oil once the itching returned. Literally, she wascompletely cured in 72 hours. So we’ve kept her on it. 
Now the point. She’s always been a bit neurotic. However since she’s been on the CBD, it’s not only cured her itching, it’s helped her mentally. My wife and I at first we’re confused, she was acting like a “normal” dog and it didn’t make sense. Then we realized it’s been since she’s been on the oil.

It might not help your cat soon enough, but it might be worth a try. I didn’t believe in it, but we were desperate to try something. Good luck with the cat. We just lost our 18 year old cat.   

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, M_Klipsches said:

I know this sounds crazy. I don’t “believe” it myself. Yet here goes. Our dog has had some issues with itching. We had her on medicine that worked but was really bad as far as side effects. She was taken off it for other reasons. Long story short we put her on CBD Oil once the itching returned. Literally, she wascompletely cured in 72 hours. So we’ve kept her on it. 
Now the point. She’s always been a bit neurotic. However since she’s been on the CBD, it’s not only cured her itching, it’s helped her mentally. My wife and I at first we’re confused, she was acting like a “normal” dog and it didn’t make sense. Then we realized it’s been since she’s been on the oil.

It might not help your cat soon enough, but it might be worth a try. I didn’t believe in it, but we were desperate to try something. Good luck with the cat. We just lost our 18 year old cat.   

Good idea, it can't hurt, legal and in dog doses not expensive.

There are many benefits of CBD oil, now that you say it I may try a little on our 2 small dogs, there crazy at times, maby it will lighten them up ? I always said they needed doggie valium. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, RandyH000 said:

ok -  here is no 1 ----------quantity 72   on EBAY -  first grab it and 2nd  email the seller to see if he can get more -----you tell me if the price is high

https://www.ebay.com/itm/24-Pack-Friskies-Flaked-with-Tuna-Cat-Food-5-5-Oz-Cans/324176492474?hash=item4b7a6cb7ba:g:Jo0AAOSwu0Feyqv6

Thanks, I forwarded the link to mommy. Even if it's double cost as Wal Mart where we get it.

1 minute ago, Mighty Favog said:

Thanks, I forwarded the link to mommy. Even if it's double cost as Wal Mart where we get it.

I have an excellent price here ------------much cheaper ---------1/2 the price from EBAY ---about 12$ US  currency ----- there are only 5  sets of 24 left -----total 120 cans  -----

https://www.bonanza.com/listings/Purina-Friskies-Canned-Wet-Cat-Food-Flaked-Tuna-24-Cans-5-5Oz-NEW/789964156?goog_pla=1&gpid=293946777986&keyword=&goog_pla=1&pos=&ad_type=pla&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIh6P8xsWS7AIVmoVaBR1BMAeqEAkYASABEgIYMvD_BwE

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, dtel said:

Good idea, it can't hurt, legal and in dog doses not expensive.

There are many benefits of CBD oil, now that you say it I may try a little on our 2 small dogs, there crazy at times, maby it will lighten them up ? I always said they needed doggie valium. 

There is still a part of me that thinks(thought?)  all the CBD hype is just snake oil. But the dog doesn’t know she’s on it. Even if the mental improvement are just imagined, the itching & rash are cured. And we’ve fought that for seven years. 

2 minutes ago, RandyH000 said:

I have an excellent price here ------------much cheaper ---------1/2 the price from EBAY ---about 12$ US  currency ----- there are only 5  sets of 24 left -----total 120 cans  -----

https://www.bonanza.com/listings/Purina-Friskies-Canned-Wet-Cat-Food-Flaked-Tuna-24-Cans-5-5Oz-NEW/789964156?goog_pla=1&gpid=293946777986&keyword=&goog_pla=1&pos=&ad_type=pla&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIh6P8xsWS7AIVmoVaBR1BMAeqEAkYASABEgIYMvD_BwE

Thanks!! I forwarded that to her too!!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mighty Favog said:

Thanks!! I forwarded that to her too!!

here is the last one from RURAL KING  -stores , they are in 13 States across the USA ---------https://www.ruralking.com/purina-friskies-flaked-with-tuna-wet-cat-food-55-oz-can-50000480142?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=shopping&utm_content=35201192&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIh6P8xsWS7AIVmoVaBR1BMAeqEAkYAiABEgJjQfD_BwE

• Like 2