Is it time for a section for DAC's and Streamers

Pete H

Are we past the time where we should have a separate section covering nothing but DAC's, Streaming Equipment/Streaming Services?  We seem to have categories for everything else but the information for those items, seems to be scattered around.  What say you?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

41 minutes ago, Schu said:

I agree.... but it's just going to devolve into a debate on economics.

It always does, but I've come to trust many of the reviews and opinions on this forum and for me, I would rather factor in the opinions and reviews on this forum, than trying to rely on outside reviews and opinions only.  What lead me to post this is that I'm getting ready to lay down some dollars on equipment to get the shop set up to stream properly, but it's a dive into wifi extenders versus hard wiring options, stand alone DAC or streamer with a great DAC, or a media server build with specific PC cards to handle the task while trying to integrate Fire TV and Alexa (or comparable) for voice integrated selection of media.  Trying to search the forum for these particular threads that may do a deep dive into some of these questions, is not bearing any fruit, and though many on here are doing these things, I'm sure there's a lot of members that have similar questions, and I would imagine that it's a growth category and deserves it's own header.  IMHO, but hey, I could be wrong.  

19 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

I stream through wifi at the house and hear no difference in SQ between that and wired.

Me too, in the house, but I'm 50' away through a brick wall.  Fine for general internet, but weak for solid streaming. (need to speak with your SIL)

Not to get off subject, it's about weather or not there should be a specific category for such things.  

4 hours ago, Pete H said:

Me too, in the house, but I'm 50' away through a brick wall.  Fine for general internet, but weak for solid streaming. (need to speak with your SIL)

Not to get off subject, it's about weather or not there should be a specific category for such things.  

My router is in the house and i stream in the detatched garage.  No issues.  They also make usb wifi antennas to plug into your laptop if you need a little help with reception. 

9 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

My router is in the house and i stream in the detatched garage.  No issues.  They also make usb wifi antennas to plug into your laptop if you need a little help with reception. 

I'm looking at extenders now, it's just not strong enough to stream HD and I'm sure that there would be issues with video for sure.  

Look into eero WiFi mesh network hardware. I'm super far away from my house in backyard controlling Room, listening to Radiohead as I type this message. 3 should cover any situation. I only have 2 for entire house pool/fire pit and detached garage.... right side of picture.

rps20201002_125814.thumb.jpg.68cc12b9c8903c9f35aec94fd75b143a.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

^^^just counted 20 fence posts 10 feet apart. So good for at least 200+/- feet.

As for a nice sounding low priced do it all streamer. Check out Orchard Audio. PecanPi. New version coming out soon with discount for pre order. I'm very happy with my "regular" one. No need for touch screen on my set-up.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Pete H said:

I would opt for Ubiquiti products , they are a secure technology given their pro line-prices on Ebay are peanuts -

https://www.ui.com/products/#default  -

-https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=ubiquity&_sacat=0&_sop=15

-If you ever need support ,  I can guide you -

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, rplace said:

^^^just counted 20 fence posts 10 feet apart. So good for at least 200+/- feet.

As for a nice sounding low priced do it all streamer. Check out Orchard Audio. PecanPi. New version coming out soon with discount for pre order. I'm very happy with my "regular" one. No need for touch screen on my set-up.

Thanks for the information, I'll check it out.  I'm no where near that distance.

2 minutes ago, RandyH000 said:

I would opt for UBIQUITY products , they are a secure technology given their pro line-prices on Ebay are peanuts -

https://www.ui.com/products/#default  -

-https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=ubiquity&_sacat=0&_sop=15

-If you ever need support ,  I can guide you -

I have some friends that run Ubiquity products.  See, this is why there needs to be a topic that covers all the streaming items.  IMHO

2 hours ago, rplace said:

Look into eero WiFi mesh network hardware. I'm super far away from my house in backyard controlling Room, listening to Radiohead as I type this message. 3 should cover any situation. I only have 2 for entire house pool/fire pit and detached garage.... right side of picture.

Beautiful place you have there, especially the room out back.

• Thanks 1

I have an EERO mesh network and it s the bomb. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Pete H said:

I have some friends that run Ubiquity products.  See, this is why there needs to be a topic that covers all the streaming items.  IMHO

the subject is really worthy of a  topic discussion ,  the current WIFI routers out there , no matter the brand  are dinosaurs with upmost of 1-maybe  2 gbps, average is no more than 3-400 mbps  , while the fastest wired internet has reached  in the terabits per second , to a record high 178  terabits per second -

cool solar panels -

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

Beautiful place you have there, especially the room out back.

Thanks, it's been fun over the years,18, to watch it change via Google. That umbrella is gone. A long work in progress. Can't see a single neighbor from the backyard which is really nice.

rps20201002_160222.thumb.jpg.fa4c6ed1ae64a74391312846d281d2cd.jpg