RF-7 v1, is 9 feet too close?

paulgyro

Good day,  is a 9 feet listening distance just too little for this speaker?  

My understanding (which could be wrong) is that often times Klipsch/horns need some distance to open up to really come together well.  

I'm overall just wondering if a 9 ft distance is too little for such a beast of a speaker.

Thanks,

Paul

• Like 1

My RF-7 v1's are at 10 feet and sound amazing, so I would definitely give nine feet a try.

The whole "distance-thing" thing of which you are speaking is referred to as, the "convergence factor". The distance from the motor-board (the front surface onto which the drivers are mounted) to your ears. Basically, when you've reached the proper convergence distance, the sound from all of the drivers, theoretically reaches your ears at the same time. One model Klipsch speaker in which this factor is very noticeable is the LaScala: It may take at least 12 to 15 feet before a proper convergence is reached at the listening position, depending on the room and it's acoustics. But, with the LaScala, it's fairly easy, in my humble opinion to tell when you've hit "paydirt"! Have fun and good luck! - Glenn

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have 4 RF-7's in a 10 X 12 room with a 13 inch sub and RC-35 center

I just turn the B&K 175 watt per channel blaster up and let er rip. Spill the wine.

I have no idea how far I am to be - ain't no more room?

Don't laugh. I am buying a pair of RP-502S surrounds to lock in load on my 7.1 system. 

There maybe some academics in how far but ya gotta deal with what cha got. And yes! Bigger is better. Think not? My K-horns will move your pant leg

Long live Klipsch

On 10/18/2020 at 4:08 AM, dgate007 said:

I have 4 RF-7's in a 10 X 12 room with a 13 inch sub and RC-35 center

I just turn the B&K 175 watt per channel blaster up and let er rip. Spill the wine.

I would definitely be on the lookout for an RC-7 and my guess is you aren't even getting near half the power of your B&K in that size room. I'd also be curious to which sub you are using and gather you sit within 5 ft of your surround RF-7s? Fwiw, I sit about 5 feet from our RB-75 side-surrounds and about 9 ft away from the Front RF-7s and rear RB-75s in a less than 2,000 cu ft room with an RSW-12 up front and RSW-15 behind the MLP.