Klipsch Cornwall 1?

Limberpine

The woofers look identical, but @RandyH000 indicated in the beginning of the post, that there was something odd about them, so that is why I was asking.

Thank you to everybody for the help! I'm glad to know more about these and their history and I'm certainly enjoying them with my SS amp, and will look to enjoy them with a tube amp here in the future. 😁

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Limberpine said:

The woofers look identical, but @RandyH000 indicated in the beginning of the post, that there was something odd about them, so that is why I was asking.

Thank you to everybody for the help! I'm glad to know more about these and their history and I'm certainly enjoying them with my SS amp, and will look to enjoy them with a tube amp here in the future. 😁

Actually ,   you posted a picture of the magnets of the woofers  which is the answer I needed , your speakers have the K33E  woofer -

between 1975 and 1979 ,  KLIPSCH was using 2 woofers in Cornwall  speakers ,  the K33E / K33B  -

Here are 3 pictures - 1st is the K33E before 1979 - 2nd is the K33B -   check out the differences

20201001_141149.jpgVintage Klipsch Cornwall 1 (1976)

5 hours ago, Limberpine said:

I see. So any thoughts at to why the woofers look different? I know I'm the 3rd owner. Just curious.

klipsch used 2 different brands of woofers between 75 and 79  -both were of  identical specs -but both don't look identical -

4 minutes ago, Limberpine said:

Thanks!

I Forgot to tell you to eventually plan for replacing the capacitors in the crossovers  unless this was already done by the previous owners  , my Cornwall 1 ---1979 capacitors were really bad , although the sound was still ok ,   and the replacement was relatively inexpensive  with quality parts  from PE - the sound  greatly improved  vs the old caps -

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, RandyH000 said:

I Forgot to tell you to eventually plan for replacing the capacitors in the crossovers  unless this was already done by the previous owners  , my Cornwall 1 ---1979 capacitors were really bad , although the sound was still ok ,   and the replacement was relatively inexpensive  with quality parts  from PE - the sound  greatly improved  vs the old caps -

Very good.  What is PE? Or can you provide a link as to where to buy capacitors for these? How hard is the replacement to do DIY? Or should I just take it to a shop to have it done? I think they sound fantastic now, but I am coming from Acoustic Research AR-2a's which are just fine, so the difference has been stellar.

Just now, Limberpine said:

Very good.  What is PE? Or can you provide a link as to where to buy capacitors for these? How hard is the replacement to do DIY? Or should I just take it to a shop to have it done? I think they sound fantastic now, but I am coming from Acoustic Research AR-2a's which are just fine, so the difference has been stellar.

PE  is PARTS EXPRESS---replacement is quite easy , you  unscrew the drivers wires on the barrier strip  ,  (  tag the wires   -right -left )  -then remove the crossovers -

unsolder the wires going to the old capacitors , one at a time -solder the new caps in , use a hot glue gun   and lay some glue to seat  the new capacitors ------that's it ----screw in the wiring in the reverse order -

On 10/2/2020 at 3:59 PM, RandyH000 said:

PE  is PARTS EXPRESS---replacement is quite easy , you  unscrew the drivers wires on the barrier strip  ,  (  tag the wires   -right -left )  -then remove the crossovers -

unsolder the wires going to the old capacitors , one at a time -solder the new caps in , use a hot glue gun   and lay some glue to seat  the new capacitors ------that's it ----screw in the wiring in the reverse order -

Are there any walkthrouhgs on the forum that I can look at to guide me?

@Limberpine

It's for Heresy or KHorn, but it's the same for Cornwall, just look at the values of the capacitors to change on your network

If you want this kit >>>>> https://critesspeakers.com/crossover_repair_kits.html

Price >>>> https://critesspeakers.com/prices-crossover_repair_kit.html

If you put MKP it will look like this at the end

602848-4803a257-klipsch_crossover_networks_type_b_with_sonicaps.thumb.jpg.3245120627d2129ca23011bb77a755d2.jpg

Show us pictures of your networks and capacitors with the values written on them 😉

Normally your Cornwall type B has 2 capacitors, 1 of 4µF and 1 of 2µF.
To replace them by MKP you can make 2µF with 2 capacitors of 1µF in parallel. To make 4µF you can put for example 1 of 3.3µF and 1 of 0.68µF in parallel it will be 3.98µF it is similar to 4µF

Here is the diagram of Network type B of Cornwall

• Thanks 1

On 10/2/2020 at 3:52 PM, mustang_flht said:

Please note this is the date of the K33E in the photo, but not necessarily that of Cornwall. I have 2015 Cornawall IIIs with 2014 and 2015 Speakers inside

For new capacitors choice MKP 😉

Solen, Audyn Cap and Jantzen are very good 

https://www.parts-express.com/cat/crossover-capacitors/292

What is MKP?

Should I just use the Bob Crites package, or go to PE and choose from the other brands you mentioned?

MKP = polypropylene film capacitor, these are the best capacitors for network speakers.

If you don't want to bother chose the Bob Crites Kit, because he had the capacitors made with the correct values for filter B = 4 and 2µF.

On the other hand, if you are a DIY enthusiast you can order capacitors of standard values and combine them in parallel to make the right value. In this case you can order capacitors known for their sound quality, I recommend Jantzen superior Zcap red, I told you above to check the values of your filter and if you have 4 and 2 µF made 4 with 3.3 + 0.68 and 2 with 1+ 1.

https://www.parts-express.com/jantzen-audio-10uf-800v-z-superior-capacitor--027-476

nb: I'm French, so be careful sometimes my English is a bit twisted, sorry

• Thanks 1