R-14M 4 ohms or 8 ohms

Jibix

I am troubleshooting issues with my receiver> I am hooking up 2 Klipsch R-14M to a Yamaha R-S201. After a few minutes, you can hear a relay clicking and it shuts off the receiver. I found a troubleshooting guide that asks to check the speaker impedance. The speakers are labelled as 8 ohms, the receiver requires 8 ohms speakers. So on the paper it matches. When I measure the resistance of each speaker with my multimeter, one shows 4 ohms and the other one 3.8 ohms. Is that normal? Am I checking the impedance the right way?

Thanks for your support!

• Like 1

Unless you're listening at 100% volume for hours on end  those speakers won't present any kind of difficult load for your receiver.  Like billybob said, check for any stray wires.  If these are new speakers to you it's 99.9% probable that's your problem.  Or, there could be a loose wire inside one of the speakers. 

11 minutes ago, Jibix said:

Thank you @billybob, I did that, it reduced the issue, now shutting off after 20 minutes instead of 2 minutes. But still shutting off...

Did you find a stray wire on a speaker or the Yamaha?

Read your owners manual about clipping, overdriving, limit protection and, make sure you are not at crazy volume and tell us what you find.

Thanks!

On 10/3/2020 at 5:48 PM, RandyH000 said:

do you have any other 8 ohms speakers on hand to test -if you do , do the same test with the other pair -------

Sorry, don't, but is that possible to test my speakers with my multimeter?

On 10/3/2020 at 5:52 PM, billybob said:

Did you find a stray wire on a speaker or the Yamaha?

Read your owners manual about clipping, overdriving, limit protection and, make sure you are not at crazy volume and tell us what you find.

Thanks!

I changed the two cable and connections are clean.

• Like 1

On 10/3/2020 at 1:07 PM, wuzzzer said:

Unless you're listening at 100% volume for hours on end  those speakers won't present any kind of difficult load for your receiver.  Like billybob said, check for any stray wires.  If these are new speakers to you it's 99.9% probable that's your problem.  Or, there could be a loose wire inside one of the speakers. 

This setup (receiver, speakers, turntable, cables) was working flawlessly for like two years, I used to listen to music 1-2 a week. All of a sudden, the receiver started to shut off after a few minutes and need to be unplugged and replugged to work again...just for a few minutes. And btw, I put the volume at like 45% to 55%, that is way enough for my bedroom:)

Edited by Jibix

37 minutes ago, Jibix said:

This setup (receiver, speakers, turntable, cables) was working flawlessly for like two years, I used to listen to music 1-2 a week. All of a sudden, the receiver started to shut off after a few minutes and need to be unplugged and replugged to work again...just for a few minutes. And btw, I put the volume at like 45% to 55%, that is way enough for my bedroom:)

you have a bad amp-      you can pick one from Ebay for really cheap prices----