The Duke...

Marvel

Oh, that.:)

I did most of what he did and more on my D75s. Curious he changed the gain from 26dB down to 17. Did he also dis able the gain pots on the front? I remember reading a post from him that a shielded wire going from the board to the front panel pots would degrade the signal quality(?)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, babadono said:

Oh, that.:)

I did most of what he did and more on my D75s. Curious he changed the gain from 26dB down to 17. Did he also dis able the gain pots on the front? I remember reading a post from him that a shielded wire going from the board to the front panel pots would degrade the signal quality(?)

The gain knobs on the front worked.  On my rig I had them all the way up.

He told me he sent all he had, but some of that info might not be of any use.

The gain pots work, I only have them a half to two thirds of the way up, or the Merlin pots are barely up.

3 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

On my rig I had them all the way up.

You got a wimpy preamp? 😄

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Marvel said:

When I have time to get on my pc at home. I was thinking I had already done that, but sure.

Edit: I sent the info a year ago... 🙄

Mark had spoken of a modded D75  , anybody have any details ?

1 hour ago, Marvel said:

He told me he sent all he had, but some of that info might not be of any use.

The gain pots work, I only have them a half to two thirds of the way up, or the Merlin pots are barely up.

You got a wimpy preamp? 😄

He likes LOUD:)

On 10/4/2020 at 9:00 PM, RandyH000 said:

yeah , Mark has been gone for while now -

I was here when he left.  A lot of great, knowledgeable people have left here.  I check in once and a while, but not like I did.  I have been a member for 17 years, wow.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kuisis said:

I was here when he left.  A lot of great, knowledgeable people have left here.  I check in once and a while, but not like I did.  I have been a member for 17 years, wow.

it's kind of fun to read the older posts , the humor  and slang were   quite the norm -----

23 hours ago, RandyH000 said:

it's kind of fun to read the older posts , the humor  and slang were   quite the norm -----

Too bad you so many people deleted all of their posts and a lot of the older content is unavailable at all.  There were so many good posts about how Juicy Music was formed, and so many other knowledgeable posts.

52 minutes ago, kuisis said:

Too bad you so many people deleted all of their posts and a lot of the older content is unavailable at all.  There were so many good posts about how Juicy Music was formed, and so many other knowledgeable posts.

On 10/6/2020 at 12:55 AM, RandyH000 said:

I've popped in here and there over the years.  Last week I perused my post history.  Man, I used to like to argue, but there's also a lot of examples of people helping each other out and caring about each other too.  I've learned so much here.  It's by "chance" that I came in.  My boss at the time was moving his late father's stuff to storage in our company box van and some kid smacked into it pretty hard.  Totalled.  There were '76 Khorns in it and I bought them back from insurance.  Research on what the heck they were led me here... and the rabbit hole opened.  Some of what I learned here was helpful in my later work in pro audio and dealing with forums that talked about the company I worked for...  so much.  I have deep affection for this place and the people I got to know back then.

I've still never met a Crown amp my ears like, but I still haven't heard anything in the studio category.  ;)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ben. said:

I've still never met a Crown amp my ears like, but I still haven't heard anything in the studio category.  ;)

Me either till I heard the DCA (Digital Cinema Amplifier) series.  I've always like the QSC PLX and PLX2 series amps but the DCA's are solid.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

Me either till I heard the DCA (Digital Cinema Amplifier) series.  I've always like the QSC PLX and PLX2 series amps but the DCA's are solid.

I haven't heard any switching Crown.  Just the Micro and Macro-tech and original XLS (XLS actually are switching, I think, and sounded better than the -techs to me), if I am recalling correctly.  They sound hashy even in pro sound applications.  Bulletproof, though.

6 minutes ago, ben. said:

I haven't heard any switching Crown.  Just the Micro and Macro-tech and original XLS (XLS actually are switching, I think, and sounded better than the -techs to me), if I am recalling correctly.  They sound hashy even in pro sound applications.  Bulletproof, though.

I originally had a rack of 4 Crowns in my HT.  I ended up replacing them with PLX2's and haven't looked back. 

I currently have a K2 on one of my subs and love it but I've never done any 2 channel (L & R) critical listening with it though.

35 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:
40 minutes ago, babadono said:

I thought you liked the Duke? DCAs are QSC amps, no?

I did but I can't speak to how it sounded stock as I never heard it that way.

I would like to hear one stock so I could compare.

@babadono  I may take you up on trying that MC33079x

• Like 1