The Duke...

Marvel

4 hours ago, babadono said:

That's the original part, there a dime a dozen.

Ah, never mind. But that's weird... I thought he put in a quad that would up the slew rate a bit without making it unstable.

What all did you do with your D-75?

• Like 1

I doubt the use of MC33079 is a weak link. I have a dac that uses them on  all balanced outputs. Replaced with every higher specced quad opamp I could get. 

None made an improvement. Some degraded the sound. Tried bipolar and FET input types. Ended up going back with the MC33079. 

They are old and cheap. Crown and others used this part for a reason. There were lots of options. 

Changing out the opamps may not do anything for rise times. The output stage may be the bottleneck.

1 hour ago, Panelhead said:

Tried bipolar and FET input types

Did you try an LME49740?

Mark changed the amp to a Fet input type because he increased the input impedance of the diff to single ended input to work better with tube preamps. He upped the input impedance to 47k from the 10k standard. I agree that the limiting factor primarily on the slew rate(speed) of these amps is the output devices. I was able to get mine up to about 10v/us by careful changing of compensation throughout the amp.

1 hour ago, babadono said:

Did you try an LME49740?

Mark changed the amp to a Fet input type because he increased the input impedance of the diff to single ended input to work better with tube preamps. He upped the input impedance to 47k from the 10k standard. I agree that the limiting factor primarily on the slew rate(speed) of these amps is the output devices. I was able to get mine up to about 10v/us be careful changing of compensation throughout the amp.

This was the first one tried. Hoped to hear angels singing. To my ears the dac sounded the same. 
  The dac uses surface mount chips. Swapping these in and out was challenging. 

4 minutes ago, Panelhead said:

This was the first one tried. Hoped to hear angels singing. To my ears the dac sounded the same. 
  The dac uses surface mount chips. Swapping these in and out was challenging. 

Did the P.S. rails support it? I had to modify the P.S. in the Crown D75s to use the singles and duals from that family of amps.

So... Mark used a TL085 in the Duke. They're cheap enough, too. It can't be those Black Gates that made all the difverence. Whatever be did, it sounds really nice. Thinking hard about selling the Moondogs. Maybe if I cleaned them up I would be more inclined to keep them They sound great, too. The lacquer on the brass chassis plates is getting a little old and shabby looking. 🙄

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Marvel said:

So... Mark used a TL085 in the Duke. They're cheap enough, too. It can't be those Black Gates that made all the difverence. Whatever be did, it sounds really nice. Thinking hard about selling the Moondogs. Maybe if I cleaned them up I would be more inclined to keep them They sound great, too. The lacquer on the brass chassis plates is getting a little old and shabby looking. 🙄

PM sent

3 hours ago, Marvel said:

It can't be those Black Gates that made all the difverence.

DJK commented in the thread I linked to yesterday that the quality of the input coupling caps had more to do with the sound of the amp than the input opamp. I personally don't know if I could hear the difference in coupling caps unless maybe I had 2 identical in every other way amps with different input coupling caps that i could switch between very quickly to compare. No way I could trust my hearing memory to take the time to switch the caps.

If anyone is looking for op amp sockets, and Black Gate caps, let me know as I may have some. Just need to know what cap specs to verify. I thought I bought them for this project, but don't recall.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

cffc30a3af613cd548147bafb0c107d5.jpg

• 3 weeks later...