Closure of Theater Chains...

Chris A

The asian theater market is still boooming...

That is because they have zero problem wearing masks, and the US is one that is polar opposite. This is why I think more and more Businesses will close.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Last good movie date I had was the first "Raiders of the Lost Arc" We could hear every bit of the movie.

One movie date halfway into a seven year power struggle in the mid 90s we could barely hear the normal volume scenes. When others became so non courteous it seemed a waste for me.

Why couldn't they use X marks the spot tape to sit at and show the movies? Or did that make it entirely unprofitable.

• Like 1

Last good movie date I had was the first "Raiders of the Lost Arc" We could hear every bit of the movie.
One movie date halfway into a seven year power struggle in the mid 90s we could barely hear the normal volume scenes. When others became so non courteous it seemed a waste for me.

Why couldn't they use X marks the spot tape to sit at and show the movies? Or did that make it entirely unprofitable.

In Mexico they assign you seats and make sure that no seat is assigned in front, behind, or to the sides of you...with a minimum of 6' spacing.i have been told they only allow 20 people per theater showing too. The problen in the USA is the people refuse to wear masks, and greedy theaters would pack the theater if possible.

• Like 1

Theater chain AMC says it could run out of cash by year-end

Attendance is down about 85% on a same-theater basis from last year since reopening began

Chris

I wonder if they owe on the upgrades they did. 20-40% of capacity does not give 2 meters distancing either. This is why we cannot have theaters in business in the USA and other countries can. 

First COVID Reinfection Death Recorded in Netherlands

"[Cases of reinfection with different strains of SARS-CoV-II virus] provide further scientific evidence for extreme caution in proposing policies that allow [SARS-CoV-II] to rip through the younger population while attempting to shield the elderly and vulnerable—even if that were possible, which it probably isn't.  If people can be reinfected easily, it could also have implications for vaccination programmes as well as our understanding of when and how the pandemic will end."

This is not good news for the cinema industry.  Even if the initial vaccines are effective on one strain, that likely doesn't mean the vaccines will be effective against other strains of the virus--like influenza and common cold viruses. 

I think the movie industry is in for a long dry haul...and the online streaming services and by-mail disc rentals are going to continue to replace that demand.  Perhaps this is good for demand for home theater sound systems for companies like KGI (Klipsch) and others.  We can hope the demand simply shifts to the at-home format, and demand for loudspeakers increases--like demand for laptop computers, etc. has increased.

Chris

• Like 1

Ive already been in contact with a secondary market theater goods reseller... He said it still to early, but feels the wave of used equipment is coming.
I think he is right. There might be a few that survive, but I think the majority will be gone for good. I hope that this means they will continue to sell Blurays and 4k discs.

I know a thing or two about this.  I work as an inventory control manager for Vistar/PFG and we distribute to all(most) of the large theater chains(AMC, Regal, Cinemark, etc.) and let me tell you, the industry is hemorrhaging.  As of 10/5/20, Regal has shut down all 500+ theaters nationwide due to no major studios releasing any blockbuster type movies until 2021 which of course is due to Covid19.  AMC was hurting before Covid19 but continues to operate.  As crazy as this all is, I am still very optimistic about things getting back to "normal".

Bill

• Like 2

I can't imagine it will be until well into 2021, if not 2022.
As long as we continue to open back up, and not continue safe distancing and masks.... sadly, I think this will go o for a long time.

I know a thing or two about this.  I work as an inventory control manager for Vistar/PFG and we distribute to all(most) of the large theater chains(AMC, Regal, Cinemark, etc.) and let me tell you, the industry is hemorrhaging.  As of 10/5/20, Regal has shut down all 500+ theaters nationwide due to no major studios releasing any blockbuster type movies until 2021 which of course is due to Covid19.  AMC was hurting before Covid19 but continues to operate.  As crazy as this all is, I am still very optimistic about it things getting back to "normal".

Bill
I hope you are right, but I tnink when this is finally over it will not be the same as it was before, but could very well be a new normal.

• Like 1

Ho hum, I would rather watch train and hurricane videos for free on Youtube where I can see what interests me personally than spend gobs of cash to support an industry that makes very little I care to watch anyway. Hollywood left me behind a long time ago. IF I were to spend money on tickets I think it would be for a Symphony or smaller classical music venue. Or perhaps a ride on a steam engine pulled train. Or sitting on the front deck and watch nothing in particular.

30 minutes ago, NBPK402 said:

I hope you are right, but I tnink when this is finally over it will not be the same as it was before, but could very well be a new normal.

I think you are right. You invite friends over for a pleasant evening where you control all the variables and don't spend nearly as much. This nonsense has had one effect I think will be long lasting and that is people are rediscovering that time spent with friends and family at home is better than driving somewhere and dropping a wad of cash and then getting kicked out when your timed seat rental is up. Same with restaurants. I love a good prime rib steak  but finding one that is good and does not break the bank is impossible and they really frown on you if you want to visit and chat too long. That well marbled one pound cooked on the grille the way you like it rib eye at home is impossible to find anywhere else. My wife and I have gotten tired of being disappointed so we hardly ever eat out anymore.

• Like 3

On 10/5/2020 at 11:39 PM, babadono said:

Deals on used Kiipsch Cinema speakers on the horizon?

Sadly enough most speakers are destroyed and not sold when pulled from service. Now if a chain goes bankrupt it might be different but getting gear from cinemas is a real hard thing to do.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, willland said:

I know a thing or two about this.  I work as an inventory control manager for Vistar/PFG and we distribute to all(most) of the large theater chains(AMC, Regal, Cinemark, etc.) and let me tell you, the industry is hemorrhaging.  As of 10/5/20, Regal has shut down all 500+ theaters nationwide due to no major studios releasing any blockbuster type movies until 2021 which of course is due to Covid19.  AMC was hurting before Covid19 but continues to operate.  As crazy as this all is, I am still very optimistic about it things getting back to "normal".

Bill

I have great hope for specialty and niche theaters, but large chains are going to be challenged going forward imho... in the same manner as malls are being challenged.

• Like 1