Fostex t500a MKIII

Godataloss

I've sold a bunch of unused gear and miscellaneous stuffs from the horde this summer so I had some extra $ in the hifi fund.  Decided to pull the trigger on these.  Running them with my Khorns using Volti VX crossovers and the BMS 4592nd mid.   So far I've just tried to visually align them with the midrange drivers and the results have been pretty wonderful.  They replaced the Beyma cp25s and I just didn't realize how badly the Beymas were stepping on that midrange.  What these tweeters don't do is as impressive as what they do.  It's like a new window has been opened up in all my favorite recordings.  You can hear the musician in space, their breath interacting with the microphone,  the fabric of their clothing rustling.  They have an open sound like a soft dome or electrostat without all that artificial air that I feel they sometimes impart.  There is no coloration.  Nothing extra.   

Anyway, my hyperbole aside, any tips on living with these monsters?  Crossovers will probably have to be tweaked somewhere down the line, but I would really like to go active at some point to time-align everything.  I like what my ears are telling me so far though.

PXL_20201001_205801342.MP.jpg

6 minutes ago, KROCK said:

Isn't there a sweet spot on these?

Imaging wise?  They have a very open sounds stage-  far more than the stock k77 or Beymas. No 'head in a vise' effect if that's what you mean. It's difficult to describe and I'm still acclimating to them.  Their radiation pattern seem far more even in the room.  It also feels like there is more treble energy in the room at lower volume levels maybe due to their higher extension.  My wife even commented on it-  that there is more 'information' at lower volumes.