ALK CSW Universal Crossover Capacitor Question

Heaterman

Hello,

I'm hoping someone can help me out.  I picked up (2) different sets of ALK CSW Universal crossovers from the forum garage sale section here and each set has a different value large capacitor.  One set has a 33 uF capacitor and the other has a 47 uF capacitor.  Not sure what these capacitors are for but assume they're for the LF/MF crossover point.  I believe the 47 uF pair were used in KHorns, not sure what the other pair were used in.  Any help's appreciated.

I was going to use them in Belle's.  I also have a pair of KPT-435's which I used the CSW with the 33 uF capacitors in and they seem to work very well.  Ran some REW sweeps and they look good to me but I'm new to this and my not be doing everything correctly.  They sound great to my ears but that's not saying much either, my hearing's shot, permanent ringing and can't even hear the REW sweeps above 15K Hz.

I appreciated everyone's time and any advice given.

Mark

ALK CSW Universal (1).jpg

ALK CSW Universal (2).jpg

I believe those networks are not designed for the Belle, La Scala or Klipschorn those are for the Cornscala's.  You will need to do some modifications to be able to use those.  I thought I had a schematic for the ALK Universal network but cannot seem to locate it but I know it has been posted on this forum.  Here is a photo of Al's Universal that IS designed for the big three Heritage models.

ALK Universal Network.jpg

• Thanks 1

Thanks to both of you.

Frninvt - After looking at Al's site your's look to be the "original" universals and mine are he's newer "economy" version (I think).

Dean - So would it be safe to assume that the 33uF crosses over around 700Hz and the 47uF crosses over around 500Hz?

22 hours ago, Heaterman said:

Dean - So would it be safe to assume that the 33uF crosses over around 700Hz and the 47uF crosses over around 500Hz?

Hey Mark

Although not nearly as knowledgeable as Dean, I'll try to answer your question.

The purpose of the 10 ohm green resistor across taps 0 - 5 of the autoformer is to keep the load on the high pass capacitor to around 8 ohms.

To keep it simple, let's identify the crossover point to be the frequency at which the impedance of the high pass capacitor equals 8 ohms.

I use this calculator to determine that frequency.  

http://www.pronine.ca/capimp.htm

If you enter 47uf in the capacitance field, and 8 ohms in the impedance field, you get 423 Hz as the crossover frequency. 

49 - 50uf gets you close to 400 Hz.

40uf gets you closer to 500 Hz.

If you enter 33uf, you get 603 Hz.

Keep in mind that this is a gentle slope electrical filter.  Acoustically you may like the sound of a 500 Hz capacitor in a 400 Hz horn.

Hope that helps!

Mike

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2