Gobsmacked by KP201s! (with sub)

rackmeister

I have owned a pair of KP201s in road livery for several years, and have used them mostly as HT mains and for boombox duty for outdoor volleyball with a little class D PC board amp and SLA battery.  Recently a friend asked me to provide an amp and speakers for an outdoor wedding ceremony and reception dance, and not wanting to transport my big multiamped DIY system, the KP201s seemed the most suitable candidates for FOH duty along with an 18" B&C sub and a couple of Behringer iNuke 1000s.  My expectations for the setup were limited given the difficulty of getting high SPL outdoors, but I thought I would get by if I didn't push too hard.  I set up the dance system against an exterior  wall, and crossed to the sub at 150hz to limit bass content to the KPs.  Long story shortened (a bit), the sound was phenomenal!  Clear and musical without a hint of strain at disco/rave SPL levels to about 50 feet out from the system.  The audience were thrilled and the dance floor was full and lively all evening long.  I really had no idea the KPs were capable of this level of high SPL performance, especially the mid and high drivers running wide open.  I kept telling those many who complimented the sound that they should come over and hear my GOOD speakers.  ;->  Call me very impressed indeed, considering that I was using what are in essence home stereo speakers costumed as PA.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, rackmeister said:

I have owned a pair of KP201s in road livery for several years, and have used them mostly as HT mains and for boombox duty for outdoor volleyball with a little class D PC board amp and SLA battery.  Recently a friend asked me to provide an amp and speakers for an outdoor wedding ceremony and reception dance, and not wanting to transport my big multiamped DIY system, the KP201s seemed the most suitable candidates for FOH duty along with an 18" B&C sub and a couple of Behringer iNuke 1000s.  My expectations for the setup were limited given the difficulty of getting high SPL outdoors, but I thought I would get by if I didn't push too hard.  I set up the dance system against an exterior  wall, and crossed to the sub at 150hz to limit bass content to the KPs.  Long story shortened (a bit), the sound was phenomenal!  Clear and musical without a hint of strain at disco/rave SPL levels to about 50 feet out from the system.  The audience were thrilled and the dance floor was full and lively all evening long.  I really had no idea the KPs were capable of this level of high SPL performance, especially the mid and high drivers running wide open.  I kept telling those many who complimented the sound that they should come over and hear my GOOD speakers.  ;->  Call me very impressed indeed, considering that I was using what are in essence home stereo speakers costumed as PA.

Actually, they are pro level speakers costumed as home stereo equipment by adding veneer.

11 hours ago, Oicu812 said:

Actually, they are pro level speakers costumed as home stereo equipment by adding veneer.

Well, apparently so. I'm guessing that most pro-sound and DJ forums would react with more surprise and disbelief/disdain, enamored as they are of the newer high-end pro gear.  I have had some good experiences before with "lowly" drivers devoid of pro pretensions such as large diameter edge-wound voice coils, cast baskets, etc., so I shouldn't be too surprised, I suppose.  There's also the famous Julian Hirsch review of the original Fortes where he finds essentially the same mid and tweet to be extremely rugged.  It kind of takes the wind out of the current rhetoric about how much speaker technology has advanced in the ensuing decades.  It would be interesting to compare the KP201s head-to-head against modern internally amplified "speakers-on-sticks" in terms of sound quality and maximum output level---but I think I'll spend my time enjoying what I have.  ;->