45 tube amp RED Plating Left channel ?

joessportster

So I am afraid I know the answer here but might as well post the inquiry. I just received this amplifier a high quality build by Radu Tarta its a shiny eyes 45 I put the tubes in fire it up and the left tubes plate is glowing red while the right side appears normal. Obviously the left tube is getting a good bit HOTTER I swapped out the tubes for another good testing pair and same result the plate glows red on the left side

Both tubes do bias out correctly at 2.5

As the same result happens on more than 1 pair and swapping left for right tubes the left still glows red after swapping sides I am fairly positive the meaning is something is out of spec on the amps left channel.  

Thoughts anyone ?

7 minutes ago, henry4841 said:

Check the voltage cathode to plate or just plate to ground both channels. Chances are one has more voltage than the other. Would not hurt to check voltage at cathode to ground as well. Running too much current for sure. Do not run this way as you probably already know. 

Yes it is disconnected / shut down as soon as I saw the issue (actually the wife saw it and said " thats cool looking "............To which I said no it is not,  took a pic and shut it off swapped tubes tried again etc...etc...etc...Appreciate all the suggestions but it all greek to me. I fear this amp is headed back to where it came from,  or to a tech for repairs. Not that old built in 2017 and supposedly has only 80 hours use.

Contacted the builder. He agrees something wrong electrically under the hood, Advice is "DO NOT POWER BACK ON"  Contacted the seller spoke with his tech this morning he said its weird we played it for 1/2 hour prior to shipping etc... Etc... ETC...... But they agreed to accept the return. So I lose Time, Tape, and I bought a bunch of tubes for that amp. Tubes will hold or increase in value so no real loss there.  I just dont get to hear it 😑

All packed up and awaiting shipping label for return trip to Houston Texas 

• Like 1