Low Power Clipping Question

Miso

I have my surrounds hooked up to an Amphony 1700 wireless transmitter/receiver.  The Amphony receiver provides the amplifier at 40W/channel to my RP-502s surrounds. Both the transmitter and receiver/amplifier have “volume“ knobs on them.  

I’ve read about clipping caused by low power. Since it only supplies 40W, should I just turn both of them all the way up and let Audyssey properly set the volume?

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

I'll add to this slightly old thread as opposed to opening a new one.  I just purchased the 1800 model which is 80 W per speaker.  I haven't hooked them up to the Heresy rears I have, as yet.  I've run them simply for testing and the sound is very good, using ML LX16 as test speakers.

One note on the unit, the speaker terminals are spring type with a very small opening.  The profile of both the transmitter and the receiver/amps is very low so they are trying to use a low profile connector.  I had to use pins on the cables I prefer for this in order to get them into the spring clamps.  The supplied cables were very small and short.  I wanted longer cables and 12 gauge would not fit easily, but pins worked with a little convincing.  I have not loaded up a sub woofer, likely won't.  These will either drive Heresy rears or the ML LX16 as a stereo pair connected to a satellite radio.

A kudos to Jeff at Amphony.  They were not in production for a while due to Covid.  I reached out to them after seeing some very positive testimonials and in particular Jeff's name as being someone who was helpful.  He told me he'd keep my name and when they were back in production he'd reach out.  That was about 4 months ago.  I didn't really expect to hear from him, but I was watching Amazon where I know they also sell.  One day poof an email from Jeff saying they had units and he'd like to offer for me to get one before they went to a more "public" / Amazon posting.  So I ordered a unit.  It arrived, and one of the speaker receiver/amp power supplies was bad, it would cut out about once per second with a hard "thump" through the speaker.  A quick test, no load, showed the supply was putting out its rated power of 36 Watts.  I sent a note to Jeff and without any hesitation he shipped a new unit which I received and it is fine.  That was pretty good service I'd say, in this time when companies have to deal with limited production and replacing a defective power supply no questions. 

Jimmy Buffett via satellite on the patio ... now where's my boat drink?