Too fat to provide care?

Bosco-d-gama

Tuesday of last week (9/29) I had my right hip replaced. I used a smaller specialty hospital, the procedure went well and after a one night stay I was discharged home. All has turned out nicely so far. But my wife (an RN) and myself (an RRT) both noticed that the care staff at this facility was beyond chunky. Some clearly were morbidly obese. While an inpatient I required the use of a knee brace and shoes that had orthotic inserts.....   y’know so that i could ambulate the best possible on this fresh surgery. The staff agreed with the need and accommodated placing these items but it was a serious struggle for a few of them. To put on socks and tie shoes was at the upper limit of their physical capabilities. My physical therapist did his very best to break my shoe laces so he’d not have to use the shoes again. Fluid spills and trash were left on the floor for others to pick up because the person who ‘dropped’ the items was too heavy to bend over to retrieve them. Other than telling the PT to lighten up I said nothing about these problems.

We discussed the situation once at home. My wife said that where she last worked that several of the clinical and non clinical staff were heavy, and they were known to be lazy. They did not respond to call lights quickly and avoided any physical chores and relied on housekeeping to follow up their messes.

So I wonder..... how would a code blue go with ‘tubby’ responders? If I had fallen in the hallway could they have kept me from going down or have safely lifted me? I got good care in this place but I was an ideal patient.  They did 6 hips that day and all of them were in far worse shape than me. I do not know how their care went but I can say they were at greater risk because the care staff was in poor physical condition.

Thoughts? I see a lot of obese police officers and wonder how useful they are. Should frontline healthcare workers have to meet minimal physical standards?

2 hours ago, Bosco-d-gama said:

So I wonder..... how would a code blue go with ‘tubby’ responders? If I had fallen in the hallway could they have kept me from going down or have safely lifted me?

2 hours ago, Bosco-d-gama said:

They did not respond to call lights quickly and avoided any physical chores and relied on housekeeping to follow up their messes.

As long as housekeeping is code blue qualified, I don't know that you had any worries???

Joke all you want but it's a fact, the populace in our country are getting heavier and lazier. It's  a plain shame and causes great stresses on our health care system. Our hospitals are not full of people that have not had enough food or vitamins.

• Like 2

Covid isn't helping either.  I try to get out and walk a bit but it isn't easy and not getting easier with winter weather coming on.  Our daughter and her husband have a Bernese mountain dog puppy, he's full, full, full of energy which is good for us as we can go over and wearing masks etc. take him for a walk/run.  I can't wait for snow, he's seen it when he was very young but I'm sure it will be a whole new level of fun.

Wife is retiring soon.  We have to come up with a plan to do walks.  Weekends we should go to the mountains, we are so close.  Just even for a few hours, walk around Banff and get some exercise and fresh air. 

Everybody needs to try to keep up the exercise as best as our health allows.  Getting outside with some sun, air and exercise is important.  All, while keeping distance and wearing a mask.

I did an overnight in a hospital here about 20 years ago. When the nurse pulled the IV out of my are she tossed it into the trash can. Nothing went into a sharps container or into a hazardous waste container.

Because of the work my wife and I do, we've been in more than one hospital in Chattanooga, and haven't seen the degree of obesity or lack of care you are mentioning. Many of my wife's relatives are in health care, and all pretty physically fit. One works as an OR nurse in Iceland and the U.S.

Bruce

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MC39693 said:

Wife is retiring soon.  We have to come up with a plan to do walks.  Weekends we should go to the mountains, we are so close.  Just even for a few hours, walk around Banff and get some exercise and fresh air. 

We do about 1 1/2 miles at least every other day, and we can, here in north Georgia, walk through the winter. I'm 71, and have been blessed with staying at or under 150 pound for the past 40+ years.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marvel said:

We do about 1 1/2 miles at least every other day, and we can, here in north Georgia, walk through the winter. I'm 71, and have been blessed with staying at or under 150 pound for the past 40+ years.

I walk for 30 minutes every day at lunch while I'm at work.  It's about a mile and a half to a mile and three quarters.  3 days a week I do cardio at home with various DVD's.  I hover between 175 and 180 (6' tall) and would probably have to diet to get below that.

• Like 1

Generally speaking humanity is getting heavier and accepting heftiness as normal. It will be reflected in some dimensions of their lives and will surely impact their health at some juncture. Humans are not evolved to be permanently fat. It certainly puts people of all ages at great risk with covid19.

My concern here is when physical size impairs professional performance. If you owned a busy restaurant would you prefer to hire sluggish or energetic employees? 

11 minutes ago, Bosco-d-gama said:

My concern here is when physical size impairs professional performance. If you owned a busy restaurant would you prefer to hire sluggish or energetic employees? 

I hope I won't be chastised for stereotyping here.  I've had "larger" techs work in my shop in the past and the best ones never kept up with their thinner counterparts.  I can't think of one exception to the rule in the 26 years I've been doing this.  It's never kept it keep me from hiring someone though.