Too fat to provide care?

Bosco-d-gama

13 hours ago, rebuy said:

Having fun Throwing Stones?

This is a health crisis.  Stones are not being thrown.  It is true that if you are morbidly obese you will not have mobility and little energy to do anything.

People need clear guidance as to what to eat and how to keep fit, which just plain is not available.  Try the food pyramid and you will end up with diabetes and a heart attack.  Ignore it and just listen to commercials and you are even worse off.  Ask your doctor who took one nutritional class in med school, is 40 lbs overweight and drinks three 450 calorie Starbucks a day, good luck with that. 

We were warned by scientists 30 years ago and everyone on this forum is old enough to remember the warnings and remember what people used to look like. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 10/6/2020 at 1:42 PM, CECAA850 said:

I walk for 30 minutes every day at lunch while I'm at work.  It's about a mile and a half to a mile and three quarters.  3 days a week I do cardio at home with various DVD's.  I hover between 175 and 180 (6' tall) and would probably have to diet to get below that.

At what age did you start doing that?  What does your normal eating habits look like?  Just curious, there may be motive to my questions, but not sure yet. 

• Like 1

We have developed a culture that has no accountability and has become lazier than ever.   Someone mentioned tainted food.  When did this start and how?  Being a millennial/x generation individual.  I grew up with my parents fixing dinner late at night where I would eat 2 helpings of everything, my step dad talking about how much he loved hamburger helper as  kid. Those 2 things right there is what helped me to a nice rounded 250 lbs at 15 and only 5'11"s (and my lack of accountability). Now I teeter around 190 at 38.  How?  eating right and exercising daily (which is what we were actually taught through out health class in school).  But what does eating right look for most people?  There is the American standard diet, if I have a cheeseburger and fries, I have meet that standard....but do I?  Not when I get it from McDonalds.  I see double lines around the fast food joints near my house wrapping around them for over 3 hours straight.  Doesn't anyone cook at home anymore?  Most of, if not all of my meals are cooked at home, some prepping is involved.  I guess that is to difficult for most people, not to mention the lack of exercise.  Believe it or not, my doctor and I disagree about my weight, i think it should be lower, he thinks it is fine.  This doesn't help most people.  My wife and I discussed this before about blood pressure, "your blood pressure looks fine". But is it, where should it really be?  It appears they are adjusting the bar to match what the normal has become.  

I'm fat as fak and must be the exception to the rule. I work 50-60 hours a week in the mechanical contracting business, climbing ladders/flights of stairs, in attics, in crawlspaces (sometimes), standing, stooping, lifting, loading, blah blah blah and in my "spare time"  garden, lay sod, dig holes/plant trees, landscape, cut grass, edge, weedeat, maintain a pool, swim, pressure wash, paint, load in and out for a solo/duo/trio/full band artist, run sound/lights during the shows, unload all that chit after, lift weights, go to the gym, fish when I can, fak and probably many other things depending on the season. Did I mention that I was a fat fak?

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, The Dude said:

At what age did you start doing that?  What does your normal eating habits look like?  Just curious, there may be motive to my questions, but not sure yet. 

I started walking at age 52 (10 years ago) because I couldn't run any more.  38 years of soccer cumulated in my 3rd knee surgery and that ended my running days. I had run my whole life and had a void to fill.  It was hard at first but I ended up accepting that this was how it was going to be from now on.  I have ankle and hip pain now but its not bad enough to keep me from walking.

Breakfast is the same every day.  Fruit (whatever is in season and a banana)  English muffins and coffee.  Lunch is boring too.  Raw red peppers, cucumbers and a sandwich.  Supper is whatever my wife wants to cook.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Dude said:

We have developed a culture that has no accountability and has become lazier than ever.   Someone mentioned tainted food.  When did this start and how? 

Fast Food and food that comes in a fancy box.  Loaded with sugar, salt and bad fats. 

1 hour ago, wstrickland1 said:

I work 50-60 hours a week in the mechanical contracting business, climbing ladders/flights of stairs, in attics, in crawlspaces (sometimes), standing, stooping, lifting, loading, blah blah blah and in my "spare time"  garden, lay sod, dig holes/plant trees, landscape, cut grass, edge, weedeat, maintain a pool, swim, pressure wash, paint, load in and out for a solo/duo/trio/full band artist, run sound/lights during the shows, unload all that chit after, lift weights, go to the gym, fish when I can, fak and probably many other things depending on the season. Did I mention that I was a fat fak?

You cannot exercise yourself out of a bad diet.  You need to do both, but diet is more important. 

It is more complicated than this, but eat a little meat and a lot of vegetables and use olive oil, coconut oil and avocados for your fats.  Avoid all white powders.  When you shop at the grocery store, you should not have to go down any of the aisles very often because all of the healthy stuff is on the perimeter.  Drink water, no other prepared drinks as they are all bad, even fruit juice which is all sugar.  I only drink water, a little coffee and some tea with occasional wine or beer. 

Someone mentioned weight.  BMI (Body Mass Index) is the important thing.  A man should be around 20 and a woman around 20 - 22.  I put a chart below.  The 'Hollywood look' with veins popping out is not healthy.  Women stop having their period when they get that thin, which means their body is telling them that they are too thin to support a child.  You can buy a caliper for $6.  Here is a rule of thumb.  You should see your ribs (no too much) and the outline of your stomach.  a woman should be able to see the two dimples above her butt.

This is easily attainable with little effort if you eat a proper diet. If you are a good cook, you will also love the food that you eat. 

Chart showing different body shapes according to BMI score

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Zen Traveler said:

I didn't participate much in the Lounge Section when the BS Forum was around

and those of us there wished that you'd go to the lounge and post (and buy us beers).  Just teasing you my friend.  Glad to see you active again and I hope that all is well with you. 

2 minutes ago, Zen Traveler said:

Ouch!  

you know I'm harmless. yeah, this hasn't been my favorite year. I have my brother living with me and he had his esophagus removed last year from cancer, so I've been holed up for seven months now, for fear that if I go out and bring the virus home, that would kill him ... particularly when his doctor said, "Take this virus seriously, if you get it you die."  That's more pressure that I care to handle; but that's life. 

6 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

..."Take this virus seriously, if you get it you die."  That's more pressure that I care to handle; but that's life. 

Yup. Good luck and success with keeping your brother safe and enjoying life.  I hope that goes as well as any best outcome can be expected. That said, 2021 isn't going to start off well given the tea leaves. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Zen Traveler said:

That said, 2021 isn't going to start off well given the tea leaves. 

I agree with you on that one.  In fact, I was just telling my brother a few minutes ago, "we sacrificed 2020; but will we sacrifice 2021 too?"  Strangely, he's more brave than I am.  I've wanted to go buy a bottle of bourbon for months; but have been afraid that would be reckless of me since it's not a necessity. He tells me to go and that it is no more dangerous than going to the doctor to get a flu shot ... less dangerous probably.