The Girl From Ipanema is a far weirder song than you thought

Chris A

I was fortunate to travel Brazil for a year as an exchange student in '69 (even got to spend some time on Ipanema Beach)...

For those Getz/Gilberto (Joao and Astrid) fans. I highly recommended this live set recorded at Carnegie Hall (spooky realistic on my Khorns)::

getz2.jpg

The topic of the thread is embedded in the first video above (~30 minutes).  It's pretty good...and it explains Bossa Nova ("New Wave") pretty well, as well as what it brought that was new to American jazz at the time. 

Chris

The Real Book was around for my daughter's jazz studies 15-20 years ago in high school, and was the undercover guide to doing one's own jazz gigs.  She was in a group playing locally at restaurants for a couple of years.  I didn't know where the book actually came from.  The guy giving my daughter jazz piano lessons was a former UNT jazz professor, then UTA at the time. etc.

The book itself isn't strictly legal.  Each music company wants its own money for the tunes and accompanying chord figures, and they don't care about forming a joint clearinghouse to collect royalties.   It's actually a real mess--and apparently the artists themselves that created the tunes normally don't see the money (if they're still alive, which most of them aren't) which is probably why the music publishers don't want to join together to collect royalties, because then they'd have to admit the money they're taking in without the artists benefiting). 

So all the students just pay to get a photocopy of the book and forget about it.  Apparently just about everyone in jazz studies uses it.  My daughter's copy looked like the one on the video--same cover, except without the stains.  I don't know where it went, however.  It seems extremely petty by the music publishers to continue to do that when you can access that information online (apparently everywhere) and pay nothing...but there it is.

Chris

I just found a Wikipedia page on the "Real Book":  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real_Book

Looks like Hal Leonard has published it since 2004.  Good for them.  When you look around to find who to pay, and can't because every song has its own rules, the task becomes unmanageable:

One hundred and thirty-seven tunes are missing in the 6th [Hal Leonard] edition that were in the 5th, while 90 new tunes have been added.[5]

Chris

• 5 weeks later...