LCR help

nydennis

Hello Everyone,

Currently I have a definitive Tech on wall speakers for my rears and sides.With a 15 inch HSU sub.   I have the Chorus II and academy in the LCR which I would end up selling.  Unfortunately they are just way to big for the room they are in.   The room is more narrow and long but I only have three chairs in the room.  I do not have the space to move the speakers away from the wall more then a few inches.  .  I would like to get new LCR.  I was looking at the on wall speakers and or some book shelf speakers and wanted to see thoughts and recommendations.  This is only for home theater. I will not be playing music.  

nydennis: First of all, welcome to the forum. It sounds like you would like to keep things quite compact and there are numerous wall-mount/bookshelf offerings from Klipsch out there. However, many of them are sold only in pairs, unless you can make a deal directly with a Klipsch distributor. One exception, is the Klipsch Synergy Black Label B-100, which is sold as a single, so you'd need 3 of them. https://www.klipsch.com/products/synergy-b-100-bookshelf-speakers

This is an obvious step down in size from your existing setup, but the B-100's may be set on a shelf or they have slots on their back for wall-attachment. They are not self-powered, but can still fill smaller rooms well, especially if you keep that 15 inch sub. I hope this gets you started on track. - Glenn

Thank you. Yes. The CHorus II's are great but I rather sell them to a good home who can enjoy them more.  Most floor speakers require some distance from the wall which is the reason compact might be the answer.  The rears and sides are wall mounted and I thought it would look more uniform. I love Klipsch sound so I want to stick with them.  I am keeping the subwoofer.   Its so hard to audition the speakers as many places do not have them setup.  I was looking to see if anyone has the 640Ds on wall to test out. I have not seen many reviews on them though.  I was looking at the RP-600M book shelf as well with a small stand and a center to go along with them.  

So many decisions.

6 hours ago, nydennis said:

Thank you. Yes. The CHorus II's are great but I rather sell them to a good home who can enjoy them more.  Most floor speakers require some distance from the wall which is the reason compact might be the answer.  The rears and sides are wall mounted and I thought it would look more uniform. I love Klipsch sound so I want to stick with them.  I am keeping the subwoofer.   Its so hard to audition the speakers as many places do not have them setup.  I was looking to see if anyone has the 640Ds on wall to test out. I have not seen many reviews on them though.  I was looking at the RP-600M book shelf as well with a small stand and a center to go along with them.  

So many decisions.

Chorus (front vent) and Forte and Forte ll & Chorus ll (all rear passive reflex) do very well very close to the front wall give them toe in and they can touch the wall with no issues. Rear passive can be much closer to the front wall than a rear reflex vent but in both cases (reflex vent or passive radiator) toe in solves all the issues. Only co planar positioning causes problems. Co planar set up is something I just cannot support as it leads to extreme off axis listening which is not supportable, just look at the off axis response of any loudspeaker to understand why. It is foolish to listen off axis when you can benefit by listening on axis.

• Like 1

I have my chorus II's snug in the corners and angle out at 45 degrees, imo they sound great. Room is 11 by 17 by 8 ft.Try toeing them in see how they sound,. Good luck!

I moved the speakers around for over half an hour. To me 45 degree angle and tight in corners worked out best for me.

• Like 1

Maybe I will see about keeping them. Maybe do a crites upgrade or something to them as well.  Wish I could do an add on and build them in the wall. I felt like the center channel was lacking something but maybe I am just over thinking it. 

Edited by nydennis

On 10/7/2020 at 11:57 PM, Lbk said:

I have my chorus II's snug in the corners and angle out at 45 degrees, imo they sound great. Room is 11 by 17 by 8 ft.Try toeing them in see how they sound,. Good luck!

I moved the speakers around for over half an hour. To me 45 degree angle and tight in corners worked out best for me.

Sounds like a perfect Khorn room 😁

On 10/7/2020 at 6:50 AM, nydennis said:

Hello Everyone,

Currently I have a definitive Tech on wall speakers for my rears and sides.With a 15 inch HSU sub.   I have the Chorus II and academy in the LCR which I would end up selling.  Unfortunately they are just way to big for the room they are in.   The room is more narrow and long but I only have three chairs in the room.  I do not have the space to move the speakers away from the wall more then a few inches.  .  I would like to get new LCR.  I was looking at the on wall speakers and or some book shelf speakers and wanted to see thoughts and recommendations.  This is only for home theater. I will not be playing music.  

I ran an academy with my chorus I's and it wasn't  bad just not what I was looking for. Build my own  center with a kappa b15, k79 and k61 much  better. Academy is a great speaker but there may be a better choice for your center, hersey maybe.

Just finished eq'ing my chorus II's, treble, bass, sub and it makes a difference along with picking right listening mode for 5 or 7 .1 

Re read where you order crites tweeters for your academy, should make a difference for front stage. If I remember right the academy has a k76 tweeter, same diaphragm as chorus but smaller magnet.

Crites arrived today for the Chorus II and the Academy. New Crossovers and tweeters. They sure do weigh a lot. Box was so heavy. Going to install the in the next week or so.  Thank you for talking me into keeping these speakers. I am sure I would have been sorry if I got rid of them

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/15/2020 at 2:34 PM, nydennis said:

Crites arrived today for the Chorus II and the Academy. New Crossovers and tweeters. They sure do weigh a lot. Box was so heavy. Going to install the in the next week or so.  Thank you for talking me into keeping these speakers. I am sure I would have been sorry if I got rid of them

Well,  Are upgrades installed yet?  Have a pair of Quartets & the Academy that will be serving similar duty.  New Crites X/O's & Ti tweets for both sitting in the basement waiting for time to install.  Looking forward to your observations.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Sorry for the delayed response. Life got in the way and I only installed them last week. I do not have my new TV in the room yet, but listening to music on them, they certainly had a different (better sound.) I cannot put my finger on it but I liked the upgrade a lot.  My dad (who gave me the speakers) assisted in the upgrade.  He also thought it had a much better sound. The Academy center channel was a little bit of a pain to upgrade but just took a little longer to get it done vs the Chorus II which had much more room to work with.  

I just wanted to thank everyone here. This was the best upgrade I have done and saved me the disappointment of getting new speakers and not liking them or trying to compare them to the chorus II.  

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, nydennis said:

Sorry for the delayed response. Life got in the way and I only installed them last week. I do not have my new TV in the room yet, but listening to music on them, they certainly had a different (better sound.) I cannot put my finger on it but I liked the upgrade a lot.  My dad (who gave me the speakers) assisted in the upgrade.  He also thought it had a much better sound. The Academy center channel was a little bit of a pain to upgrade but just took a little longer to get it done vs the Chorus II which had much more room to work with.  

I just wanted to thank everyone here. This was the best upgrade I have done and saved me the disappointment of getting new speakers and not liking them or trying to compare them to the chorus II.  

Glad you like them, we figured tyou would. The music just sounds alive huh?

24 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

Glad you like them, we figured tyou would. The music just sounds alive huh?

Very much so. I cannot wait to get the theater room going and hear how it sounds with movies.   Was waiting for the newest batch of TV's to arrive, now just have to go order it.