Cougar project

Bosco-d-gama

2 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

That puts a whole new wrinkle in it.

1 hour ago, MookieStl said:

you have the pick the right wrinkle too!

plus, she's the one going "ewwww"

Instead of “flowers” Carl brings a bag of wrinkle identifier - “flour”. The Greatest Generation know him as their - Pillsbury Dough Boy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Thanks everyone......    btw the wife IS a Cougar, just so ya know. 😏

Last spring we got a huge load of stained glass from a gal who once owned a commercial business in Idaho Falls. You can buy stained glass new and get patterns, colors, textures that are matching. But the truly interesting glass is the vintage stuff that is no longer in production. That’s the case with this puma’s body pieces. They are a high relief heavily figured glass that’s semi opaque. We’ve had parts of this glass before but not in this color. We had enough of the stuff (1 whole sheet) to pull out these pieces. You have to select pieces for direction and color. Ideally they have to fit the actual scheme of the animals fur in appearance. The color here should’ve been more tan shaded but this worked pretty nicely altogether there’s about 3 months into this deal.

Fortunately we just sold several pieces so we have some window room.

• Like 1

OK.  Bobcats.  The most common wildcat in north america.  I had a couple in my yard recently.  The neighbor had chickens.  I don't think they have chickens anymore.  Those cats are amazingly quick and athletic.  I just wish they didn't drag the chickens into my shrubs.  Piles of feathers in the leaves like burial mounds.

5 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

OK.  Bobcats.  The most common wildcat in north america.  I had a couple in my yard recently.  The neighbor had chickens.  I don't think they have chickens anymore.  Those cats are amazingly quick and athletic.  I just wish they didn't drag the chickens into my shrubs.  Piles of feathers in the leaves like burial mounds.

Bobcats all over So. Cal. In a Mission Viejo strip mall a bobcat snuck into a shop and tucked itself into a corner. A customer said, ‘what a pretty kitty’...... and went in to pet the little cutey. It wasn’t nice. They’d snag ducks from the nearby golf course there and just eat the breast meat out of them and leave the rest for the ants. No problems with them in the northwest where I now live. Coyotes, wolves and eagles will take small prey here........   cats/dogs too.

6 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

you seem well versed in the ways of older women.

Well, yes. In my younger days I was nearly devoured by several cougars only to scratch and claw my out to fight another day. 
Now really, Those were the good ol’ days. 

• Like 1

• Moderators

Nice looking stained glass, always wondered if there were patterns that could be used and you had one for that.

Problem is if you were to try to just make something of your design that wouldn't work,  or is there software that could make patterns. Kind of like embroidery patterns for machines,  you can do alot but if it's really unusual  you can get a design digitized for the machine to accept.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, dtel said:

Nice looking stained glass, always wondered if there were patterns that could be used and you had one for that.

Problem is if you were to try to just make something of your design that wouldn't work,  or is there software that could make patterns. Kind of like embroidery patterns for machines,  you can do alot but if it's really unusual  you can get a design digitized for the machine to accept.  

There are stained glass pattern books and this guy did originate from one. We have done our own and often have adapted stained glass patterns from art in other mediums. I believe there are computer programs that will scan, digitalize and produce patterns from anything. We’ve never used one or thought to. That seems to distill out some of the artistic element from the hobby. Computerization is not my area of expertise so I may be prejudiced in my perspectives. Stained glass patterns can be too simplistic or way too difficult to execute well. Often people see stained glass creations from a distance not knowing that it is a blend of annealed paintwork and stained glass. I like to challenge myself and as yet haven’t exceeded my frustration threshold.

• Like 1

• Moderators
16 hours ago, Bosco-d-gama said:

That seems to distill out some of the artistic element from the hobby.

Probably correct, it would be better to make the changes and see for yourself to get what looks best to your eye and not what a computer thinks. But to do this would take alot of work with a computer and may take more time just to make a pattern as to make a piece.

I like to make different designs for designing and painting signs and glass etching, and most of the time when your trying different layouts one just looks better to your eye for some reason or another. Almost exactly to how you feel trying to compose a photo, some just work and at times it's by accident but when you see it you know. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dtel said:

Probably correct, it would be better to make the changes and see for yourself to get what looks best to your eye and not what a computer thinks. But to do this would take alot of work with a computer and may take more time just to make a pattern as to make a piece.

I like to make different designs for designing and painting signs and glass etching, and most of the time when your trying different layouts one just looks better to your eye for some reason or another. Almost exactly to how you feel trying to compose a photo, some just work and at times it's by accident but when you see it you know. 

Xactly.....  we change elements of every commercial pattern we use, sometimes to render them simpler other times more realistic. Every background and frame is our own creation. It should be noted that the better commercial patterns also come with glass specifications. They tell you precisely what glass to use and where to buy it. We use the glass we own. We have a large selection of glass and in our opinion turn out better results. I prefer to take a piece of art or a photo and convert it to a stained glass pattern. I’ve converted tattoo’s into stained glass. We’ve incorporated natural shell and polished agate into our work also. For me it is like being a kid. You get to cut out and draw pictures, play with colors and saws and grinders and render an object that’s quite stunning. None of these photo’s do proper justice to these pieces and they change appearance as the sun shifts across the sky. 

• Like 1