NEED HELP! CHANGING TYPE E XOVER TO HAVE A 4500HZ CROSSOVER POINT

longdrive03

I have a Type E network and want to change the 6k rolloff of the K--55 to an EV tweeter that can cross over lower than the typical K77.

I know I'll need a coil on the mid circuit and need to change the high pass cap as well.

Any help or suggestions appreciated.

Have a great weekend

Longdrive03

11 hours ago, longdrive03 said:

Bump, can anyone help on my question?  Thanks.  

Longdrive03

Here's an E-4500 crossover I've simulated but not built.  I was going to use the CT-125 tweeter, though.

The T2A autoformer is also replaced with a simulated 3636, using the same taps.

Not sure how safe it would be with your EV tweeter.

Now you got me thinking about building a pair.

Mike

Mike89844664_E-4500Plot.thumb.png.0fa28ce9c37f68e4b25f78b3c1038fe5.png

E-4500 Schematic.png

Mike, thanks for the response and info. I think the EV driver will be okay crossed over at 4500Hz.  I would like to try it to see the difference from the  6khz point which I understand the K55 has a hard time getting to.  I can't find a schematic for Bob Crites 4500xover showing the coil value on the Mid to start the 4500hz slope

Longdrive03

43 minutes ago, longdrive03 said:

Mike, thanks for the response and info. I think the EV driver will be okay crossed over at 4500Hz.  I would like to try it to see the difference from the  6khz point which I understand the K55 has a hard time getting to.  I can't find a schematic for Bob Crites 4500xover showing the coil value on the Mid to start the 4500hz slope

Longdrive03

You mean this?  

57e18700b78b8_A4500Schematic.jpg.65604c277fbeffeb4b9f2a14c19f995a.jpg

26 minutes ago, Wirrunna said:

I built an an ALK type Extreme Slope ES4500 a while ago, but these days it would be cheaper to use a miniDSP 2X4HD and go active.

will one of these MINI DSP 2X4HD  be enough for 1 pair of speakers , and would you simply use 2 of these units for 2  pairs -

2 minutes ago, RandyH000 said:

will one of these MINI DSP 2X4HD  be enough for 1 pair of speakers , and would you simply use 2 of these units for 2  pairs -

Depends how many drivers in each speaker, a miniDSP 2X4HD has 2 inputs and 4 outputs, so for a KHorn 3 way you need 2 miniDSP2X4HD.

3 minutes ago, RandyH000 said:

ok --------is the hookup easy  -----

just bog standard RCA sockets. What is harder is picking the extra amplifiers. Do you want a bunch of big boxes or a couple of those little chip amps -

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/182341-jubilee-owners-what-amplifier-are-you-using-to-bi-amp/

1 minute ago, Wirrunna said:

just bog standard RCA sockets. What is harder is picking the extra amplifiers. Do you want a bunch of big boxes or a couple of those little chip amps -

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/182341-jubilee-owners-what-amplifier-are-you-using-to-bi-amp/

no little  chip amps for me  here ,  -amps won't be the problem at all --but wiring is going to be ,  depending on which amps I decide to use -

Adequate:

http://ccs.exl.info/installation/crossovers-installation-tweaking/crossover-calculators/#first

Better:

https://www.parts-express.com/x-over-3-pro-software-cd-rom--500-919

I use X-over Pro and like it's modelling capacity.  A good response curve does not come from just changing a calculated crossover point. 

1 hour ago, longdrive03 said:

Mboxler,

Thanks for the sketch but I've got the Type E network and your diagram is for  type A  The Type E has a 2uf going to the tweeter so may use 3uf on the tweeter  for 4500Hz 6db?

I assume I could add the .5mh coil on the K-55 leg 

Sorry for the confusion.  I thought you were interested in a change similar to Bob Crite's A-4500.  I'm assuming the components to change a Type A to a Type A-4500

would be identical to the ones needed to change a Type E to a Type E-4500.  

So, add the .5mH coil to the K-55 leg and replace the 2uF tweeter capacitor with a 4uF. 

Again, I haven't tried this.  Here's the schematic and resulting plot.  

I'm a "If it sounds good it's right" guy, so experiment.  Add the coil first, and hear how it sounds.  Add 1uF to the tweeter cap (3uF). Add 2uF to the tweeter cap (4uF).

Let us know what sounds best to you!

Mike

Type E-4500 Plot.png

Type E-4500 Schema.png

• Like 1