BELLE BUILD

sootshe

Starting a new build of a set of Belles.

Material is 24mm baltic birch ply for the doghouse & 18mm baltic birch ply for the rest of the cabinet. The sides & back will have two layers of 18mm ply. 

Here is the new table saw which should do the job. 

IMG-01.jpeg

• Like 5

First up is a full scale drawing of the dog house. From there I will work outwards towards the external sides of the cabinet. 

The dimensions were altered to account for the thicker ply material & to keep the internal dimensions of the dog house the same as the original design. 

IMG-01A.jpeg

• Like 2

Then I made a jig to cut the steep angle on the ramps. If I did this again I would make this a bit differently as with this jig I couldn't cut through the full width of the material & had to do two cuts. Still came out reasonably OK though. 

IMG-07.jpeg

IMG-08.jpeg

IMG-09.jpeg

IMG-10.jpeg

IMG-11.jpeg

• Like 5

Just a dry fit for one of the cabs. All seems to go together OK.

Need to complete the other cab & then dismantle & start veneering. 

Will veneer the doghouse, the inside of the bottom panel & the inside of the side panels. 

Then fit the backs & the extra layers for the sides & back. 

IMG-17.jpeg

IMG-18.jpeg

IMG-19.jpeg

• Like 2

Completed the rear panels today, complete with splitters. 

Just used some scrap material for the splitters & cut to size on the table saw. 

Also made a template for the veneer to go on the inside of the cabinets......at the bottom of the cabinet between the sides & the dog house. The template is sitting on the top of the cabs.... it fits really well.  I removed the bottom of the cabinets ......placed the cardboard underneath & traced out the shape.

It's going to be tricky to adhere this, as the contact cement only gives you one go.  

IMG-21.jpeg

IMG-22.jpeg

IMG-20.jpeg

• Like 5

Waiting on some screws to arrive before I can continue with the bass bin, so started on the mid horns. 

Will do these a few segments at a time.....here's the first five segments. 

These are glued & screwed together. Dave provides dowel pins to key them together in the correct position, so you can't really go wrong. 

Bought a Die Grinder to get the rough sections off first & then hand sand with varying levels of sandpaper.

The die grinder makes light work of this job & you can easily position it to remove even small amounts of material. I wish I had this when I built my last two sets!

Screws arrived today, so will get back to the bass bins on Wednesday.

ELLIPTRAC 1.jpeg

ELLIPTRAC 2.jpeg

ELLIPTRAC 3.jpeg

ELLIPTRAC 4.jpeg

• Like 4