BELLE BUILD

sootshe

So now I have dismantled the bass bins ready for glueing & screwing permanently.

I left the sides off, so that I could get to the ramps, as there are some tiny gaps & I want to fill them & put a bead of silicone around the edges.

Also silicone beaded the internal corners of the doghouse. 

Added another three segments to the mid horns & will sand them up today.

Glad that this of interest to everyone..... hope it will be of benefit to others that may try this project. Lots more to come......finishing the mid horns & the crossover build.  

IMG_0318.jpeg

IMG_0320.jpeg

• Like 4

Are you making a 2-way or 3-way?  What are you doing on the top hats?  I'm pondering changing my Belle clones top sections up maybe over the winter months and go to a larger mid horn and sell off the K-500's.  But, I want to stay with the A-55G's and CT-120's.

Nice build!

1 hour ago, babadono said:

BTW @sootshe you're the Gent who made the speakers the FullRange now enjoys, right?

Well....I didn't make the cabinets. A friend of mine who is a cabinetmaker made them for me. I then made the mid horns & didi the extra walls for the sides & backs & veneered the cabinets. Also made the original crossovers which, as you know, FullRange has since greatly improved upon. 

I've always wanted a set of Belles, hence this new project & decided to have a go at the full build myself. It's very challenging, but as with most things if you have the right tools it gives you half a chance to succeed. I wouldn't say that these are going to be perfect, but they will be pretty close. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, avguytx said:

Are you making a 2-way or 3-way?  What are you doing on the top hats?  I'm pondering changing my Belle clones top sections up maybe over the winter months and go to a larger mid horn and sell off the K-500's.  But, I want to stay with the A-55G's and CT-120's.

Nice build!

These will be 3 way. Crites cast frame woofers......B & C DCM50 mids......B & C DE10 tweeters.

The top hats will replicate the original Belle design in terms of the cabinets, but with a bit of a twist in terms of how the mid horn mounts into the cabinet.....stay tuned.

I've had A55's before & if I still had them I wouldn't be changing them out, they are a fine sounding driver. The reason I didn't use them this time around was trying to find a horn to mate with the 1 inch throat. Daves horns just sound fabulous, I doubt whether you'd find a better solution without paying thousands of dollars. So, if you can find a horn that you like that works with the A55's, I'd stick with that. Maybe a FastTrac or Edgar style horn? I've used them before & they are very good, plus, they suit the 1 inch drivers. 

I've never been a fan of the CT120's.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rockhound said:

@sootshe thanks for starting this thread, superb work so far. Build threads like this remind me of just how bad at woodworking I am! Great progress looking forward to the final product.

That's me! I can cut a board short two times... and leave a lot of sawdust.

Today I spent on the last of the segments for the mid horns.

Yes, I know the outer edges are not very good, but I have something in mind for that.

This horn usually mounts from the rear into the baffle board & you usually veneer the rectangular shape of the baffle & so you see the rectangular shape of the horn & you also see the cut out where the horn fits through the baffle, just like my last build of JBL's with the copper coloured horn.

What I'd like to do this time is fit the horn in to the baffle & veneer right up to the lip of the horn, so that the horn looks like it is a part of the baffle. Doing it this way, you won't be able to remove the horn once it is fitted, but I don't intend on changing the horn, so it's not a problem. 

To achieve a clean line where the veneer meets the outer curve of the horn, I need a 90 deg angle around the horn perimeter, so I am going to set the router up & route a 6mm 90 deg cut, approx. 6mm deep around the outer edge of the horn flare. I'll have to do this freehand, so have been practising on some scrap & I think I can pull it off. Will post some pics when complete.....wish me luck, as once I adhere the veneer there's no going back.  

IMG_20180412_151839.jpg

ELLIPTRAC 7.jpeg

• Like 2