BELLE BUILD

sootshe

On 10/23/2020 at 5:20 PM, avguytx said:

Are you making a 2-way or 3-way?  What are you doing on the top hats?  I'm pondering changing my Belle clones top sections up maybe over the winter months and go to a larger mid horn and sell off the K-500's.  But, I want to stay with the A-55G's and CT-120's.

Nice build!

Try to find a pair of Electro-Voice SM120A horns.

Your A55G drivers will bolt right in, and they are perfect from 500Hz up 

They sound fantastic and I think they look very cool.

I'm using mine with Beyma CP25 tweeters on top.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Rolox said:

Try to find a pair of Electro-Voice SM120A horns.

Your A55G drivers will bolt right in, and they are perfect from 500Hz up 

They sound fantastic and I think they look very cool.

I'm using mine with Beyma CP25 tweeters on top.

Yeah, those don't come up too terribly often; I've looked at those, and for those, over the years but fairly rare around here.  If I do decide to change mid horns out, I may try a set of the K-510 knock offs that are on e b a y for $50 each.  But, it will also depend on what I'll have to do with the Type AA crossovers as I don't want to get into having to change all of that and I'm not going active as it's just not that important.  

Nice work! Planning out the veneer process was one the more difficult parts of my La Scala build. I veneered the doghouse and the inside panels of the top, bottom and sides before I assembled them all together. All I had to do was the outside and front edges. I had some waste inside the doghouse, but not much. Hats off to you for cutting and fitting the pieces. So far it looks perfect. 

for those considering rehabbing la scales or belles you might share some tips on how you are getting that perfect fit.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, No.4 said:

Nice work! Planning out the veneer process was one the more difficult parts of my La Scala build. I veneered the doghouse and the inside panels of the top, bottom and sides before I assembled them all together. All I had to do was the outside and front edges. I had some waste inside the doghouse, but not much. Hats off to you for cutting and fitting the pieces. So far it looks perfect. 

for those considering rehabbing la scales or belles you might share some tips on how you are getting that perfect fit.

Thanks for the praise, but it certainly isn't perfect.

I almost wish I had done it the way you did & veneered the doghouse before assembling the sides & top/bottom. I thought long & hard about doing it that way, but thought that the excess glue would be a problem when assembling the dog house to the rest of the cabinet. I would probably do it that way if I was going to do another build & find some wood glue that dried clear. The glue I used (TiteBond) dries a yellow colour. Anyway it came out pretty good.

The only tip I can give is to make sure your templates are spot on & then you shouldn't have too much trouble getting them in place. Dowels underneath the glued veneer help to keep the veneer off the cabinet as you proceed with the stick down process & certainly another pair of hands is helpful when you are veneering the bottom piece around the perimeter of the doghouse. I wanted that to be all in one piece, so I had someone hold one side up off the glue while I adhered the other side. 

You won't get a 100% perfect fit around all the edges, but even from a couple of feet away you can never pick it. 

When all is done, I go around all the edges with some wood putty & clean up any small imperfections. 

Will post some photos of the completed veneer for the inside of the cabs later today. 

• Like 1

So....finished for today.

Got all the internal panels veneered, next job will be to clean up all the external edges & put the next layer of ply on the sides & rear. 

Pretty happy with the veneer on the inside panels....a few gaps here & there, but nothing to worry about. Will fill those with wood putty & then sand ready for clear lacquer. 

IMG-29.jpeg

IMG-30.jpeg

IMG-31.jpeg

IMG-32.jpeg

• Like 2

On 10/23/2020 at 1:39 PM, sootshe said:

These will be 3 way. Crites cast frame woofers......B & C DCM50 mids......B & C DE10 tweeters.

Go you already have the DCM50's? i was just getting ready to put a basically new pair in the Garage Sale section. I will make you a great deal. I also have a pair of Faital Pro HF-102 Tweeters which I believe are a better tweeter. I also have a pair of their STH-100 horns for them as well.

Not trying to hijack your thread, I just like giving forum brothers good deals. I would rather lose money and keep the gear in the family. Kinda weird I know LOL! We can take it to PM.

Great looking build by the way.

7 hours ago, jorjen said:

Go you already have the DCM50's? i was just getting ready to put a basically new pair in the Garage Sale section. I will make you a great deal. I also have a pair of Faital Pro HF-102 Tweeters which I believe are a better tweeter. I also have a pair of their STH-100 horns for them as well.

Not trying to hijack your thread, I just like giving forum brothers good deals. I would rather lose money and keep the gear in the family. Kinda weird I know LOL! We can take it to PM.

Great looking build by the way.

Hi Jorjen,

Yes, I already have all the drivers so can't take you up on your offer.

Hope they find a good home. 

Glad you have it covered. The DCM50 really is a great sounding driver that works very well for our intended uses. I am going to give their new 2" Coaxial driver the DCX462 a whirl. Been listening too it the last couple of days in my La Scalas and I gotta tell ya it is one badazz driver.

Got the other bass bin veneered today & then cut some 4mm edge strips from Tassie Oak for the front edging. 

This is glued on with wood glue & held with tape for 24 hours until dry. Once the glue is dry this will be as strong as if nailed. 

IMG-49.jpeg

IMG-50.jpeg

IMG-51.jpeg

IMG-52.jpeg

• Like 4