BELLE BUILD

sootshe

Having a break from the bass cabs for a while, as we are coming into a heat wave. Tomorrow will be 37 deg C & then a couple more days in the mid 30's. On the last leg of those at the moment....just need a bit of sanding & then the final coats of clear lacquer. 

It's a good time to work inside, so have started on the crossovers. Made some boards from some scrap 18mm birch, clear lacquered. 

This is the layout & will begin assembling tomorrow. Have all the components apart from the 2.4 inductors, which will be Mundorf vacuum impregnated. I ordered these about 3 months ago & am still waiting for them to arrive, but the distributor says they shouldn't be too far away. Also coming with these are the Mundorf Supreme resistors. 

My electrical skills aren't as good as my carpentry skills so will be taking my time with these. 

IMG_0394.jpeg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Alexander said:

Have you ever seen this about inductor placement?

coilplacement-.png

I haven't seen this before, but was aware of needing to place the inductors correctly. Are you just posting this for reference or are you suggesting there's something wrong with the inductor placement?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sootshe said:

I haven't seen this before, but was aware of needing to place the inductors correctly. Are you just posting this for reference or are you suggesting there's something wrong with the inductor placement?

Just a reference, I would let more knowledgeable members comment if they feel there is some kind of concern.

8 hours ago, Full Range said:

The Belle speaker build is progressing well mate

Those Alumen Z caps are very good and have installed them to the tweeter section of my crossovers 

They produce a very natural but accurate sound presence 

Thanks Paul.....yes looking forward to hearing them. 

A little more progress today on the crossovers.

If you're wondering what the tag strip is on the left?

I've taken lead wires from all the terminals on the autoformer & wired them to the tag strip, so that when I want to adjust the mid level I can access it very easily. By doing this I can change just 2 wires & get different levels of attenuation. 

Got some neat little "Turret Terminals" for the solder connection joins.

Still need to trim all these wires & solder everything in place. 

UOGO4837.jpeg

IMG_0398.jpeg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sootshe said:

A little more progress today on the crossovers.

If you're wondering what the tag strip is on the left?

I've taken lead wires from all the terminals on the autoformer & wired them to the tag strip, so that when I want to adjust the mid level I can access it very easily. By doing this I can change just 2 wires & get different levels of attenuation. 

Got some neat little "Turret Terminals" for the solder connection joins.

Still need to trim all these wires & solder everything in place. 

looks awesome , what these smaller caps -

1 hour ago, RandyH000 said:

looks awesome , what these smaller caps -

The Red caps are Jantzen - Superior Z caps my rating is Excellent 

The Grey caps are Jantzen Alumen Z caps my rating is Excellent ++ and are very good for the midrange and tweeter sections 

• Like 1