BELLE BUILD

sootshe

• 2 weeks later...

Finally.....the inductors have arrived. 

Crossover now all set up & firing & I've set the mid & tweeter up temporarily to listen. I need another sheet of 18mm before I can complete the top hat section, so couldn't wait any longer to have a listen.....& I wasn't disappointed.

Mid range is smooth & seductive. I've listened for hours without a hint of grain or stridency.

Tops are crisp & clear & 

The bass is awesome....I'm wondering if I will actually need a sub, but I have one coming, so it's a bit late now. 

Hopefully the 18mm sheet will be here next week sometime & I can pretty these up a little. 

BELLE CROSSOVER 7.jpeg

BELLE CROSSOVER 4.jpeg

BELLE CROSSOVER 5.jpeg

BELLE CROSSOVER 6.jpeg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Marvel said:

That 2.4 mH inductor is HUGE!

Those cabinets will be pretty when you get the tops finished and added to the bottoms.

Bruce

Thanks Bruce.....yes, the inductor is quite large, but not as big as the ones "FullRange" is using. This section of the crossover really affects the sound, so I didn't want to skimp. You could spend more on this, but I felt this was a good cost/benefit compromise. As it turns out, I'm really, really happy with the resulting sound.   

I'm hoping the completed cabinets will come up OK....I'm trying to get them to look like original, although the top hats will be higher than the originals to accommodate the Elliptracs & the tweeter will sit on top of the top hat cabinet like yours. 

8 hours ago, Marvel said:

That 2.4 mH inductor is HUGE!

Those cabinets will be pretty when you get the tops finished and added to the bottoms.

Bruce

3 hours ago, sootshe said:

Thanks Bruce.....yes, the inductor is quite large, but not as big as the ones "FullRange" is using. This section of the crossover really affects the sound, so I didn't want to skimp. You could spend more on this, but I felt this was a good cost/benefit compromise. As it turns out, I'm really, really happy with the resulting sound.   

I eventually used the flat wax inductors ( they are huge and heavy ) 

Overall they alleviated the ripple effect at the crossover points 

One area that surprised me and made enormous difference is the Duelund resistors 

This inexpensive trick is also very worthwhile 

Vishay Capasitors - 0.01UF, 160V to be used as vibration absorbers when applied on the large main Capasitors

582fc14d5d425_IMG_2675(Medium).JPG.97d5f

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Frzninvt said:

I love the networks!  Big fan of high quality components.  The MF/HF section is going to be top notch.

Thanks for that....it does sound pretty impressive. 

I have some Dueland bypass caps coming also....just to put the icing on the cake.

I've tried the steeper slope versions on the bass section of the crossover & I actually prefer the sound of this design. 

• Like 1

The Dueland By Pass caps have arrived & I have them installed & the crossover is now labelled, thanks to my wife's craft skills..

All ready to go once the top hats are finished.

I've completed one of the top hats.....just need to get the clear lacquer done & all finished. 

Just a small amount of work to do on the other tophat & then we'll be all good. 

BELLE CROSSOVER 10.jpeg

BELLE CROSSOVER 9.jpeg

BELLE CROSSOVER 8.jpeg

• Like 1

Hi Paul,

I've listened to them without the bypass caps & with the sub & I can say that they are easily the best sounding speaker I have ever owned. 

Whether that is because of the crossover components, the mid drivers or the Belle cabinets, I cannot say. I suspect that it's a combination of all of the above.

The DCM50's are a really refined driver with no hint of grain & plenty of detail. Totally effortless. Combined with the Elliptracs they make for a stunning sound. 

I now see what all the fuss is about 2" drivers, as they are in another league to anything I have had before. 

The DE10's are the real surprise packet & coupled with Daves Elliptrac tweeter lenses, they blend perfectly with rest of the system. 

Overall, a really coherent sound, that has a beautifully seamless blend of 3 drivers to produce an effortless & graceful sound.

More thoughts when I put everything back together again.....with pics to follow.  

• Like 2

Very nice!  I really like the copper, but I'm kind of a copper freak.  LOL  I'm sure they sound superb and I'll bet you will be glad to have them final placed and done with the work part of it.  You have many hours into this build, and it shows.